Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle software 3.0.3 vs 3.0.2

Has anybody updated to the 3.0.3 kindle software? Did you notice any difference? I'm just curious if it is worth it to update to a beta software. Any comments appreciated.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
It is a little faster at page turns. And the wifi seems to work a little better.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Honestly, if it's not broken, don't bother. It's not like we are seeing new features yet.

3.01 fixed stability problems some people had.

3.02 fixed problems caused by 3.01 with people who go outside and read (it would slow down in sunlight)

3.03 seems to mostly just make it harder to jailbreak? (Or at least invalidates the original method).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Same here - a tad faster with pages and faster Wifi.

Nothing else I can see.
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Honestly, if it's not broken, don't bother. It's not like we are seeing new features yet.

3.01 fixed stability problems some people had.

3.02 fixed problems caused by 3.01 with people who go outside and read (it would slow down in sunlight)

3.03 seems to mostly just make it harder to jailbreak? (Or at least invalidates the original method).
I'm just wondering because actually it is broken. 3.0.1 caused (and is causing) me a bit of heartache and for some reason 3.0.2 was never pushed out to my device and can't be downloaded anymore.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
I don't know how everyone else is doing with it but I am very happy with the 3.0.3 update. The page turns are definitely snappier and the web browser loads pages faster and deals with various mobile sites much better. The whole interface seems faster. I wasn't too thrilled with the 3.0.2 update as I thought it actually slowed down the page turns a slight bit. I haven't done the jailbreak on my Kindle yet but there is a new version of it that works with the 3.0.3 firmware.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
I'm just wondering because actually it is broken. 3.0.1 caused (and is causing) me a bit of heartache and for some reason 3.0.2 was never pushed out to my device and can't be downloaded anymore.
You simply download the required firmware from their website, put it in the root directory of your Kindle and do: Home>Press Menu, Goto-Settings>Again Press Menu>Device updates------- wait for some time and Voila, you have got the latest Firmware.

I went directly from version 3.0.1 to 3.0.3. Here are the differences for me:
Page turns are faster
The WiFi works better for me now. It wouldn't find existing Network but now it does without fail.
The Web browser feels less experimental now.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I honestly can't tell any difference.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Eh. You can still get the 3.0.2 firmware from Amazon if you tweak the URL. If you don't trust me altering it then just go to the download page for 3.0.3 and change the URL from 3.0.3 to 3.0.2.

Kindle 3G+WiFi - B00A - 3.0.2
Kindle WiFi - B008 - 3.0.2
Kindle 3G+WiFi - B006 - 3.0.2

Kindle 3G+WiFi - B00A - 3.0.3 (Preview still)
Kindle WiFi - B008 - 3.0.3 (Preview still)
Kindle 3G+WiFi - B006 - 3.0.3 (Preview still)

The preview release so far has always been promoted to release without any changes. This may change in the future if they discover any showstopper bugs.

Last edited by Tiersten; 10-22-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:50 AM   #10
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
I can see one difference: It shows a higher version number!
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Browser is faster and better. Can bookmark a logged-in account and remain logged in, which I couldn't with the 3.0.2.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I haven't been able to update my Kindle 3 wifi. I uninstalled the JB before trying to update, and still can't update to 3.0.3
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
I haven't been able to update my Kindle 3 wifi. I uninstalled the JB before trying to update, and still can't update to 3.0.3
Could you please provide more details as to what is happening? I think that this is more of a problem for Amazon Customer Service.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Could you please provide more details as to what is happening? I think that this is more of a problem for Amazon Customer Service.
Sorry, Im new. I found the answer in the other thread. I search, and this thread came up, then I saw the other one. Looks like new Kindles don't need the Beta 3.0.3, so it doesn't update to it.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
paulpod
paulpod began at the beginning.

Device: none
will updating the firmware wipe my books?
paulpod is offline   Reply With Quote