Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #16
donoharm
donoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litterdonoharm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW1 - jailbroken
I think the reader you're describing is a kindle keyboard! I also yearn for an ebook reader with physical page turn buttons and the ability to disable the screen, but nobody seems to have invented one. What did you end up going for? I think I've "settled" on a refurb kindle voyage on ebay. You can get the 3G one for only $170 these days. It has capacitive page turn buttons, but really the benefit of the buttons for me is being able to grab the screen to hold the book more comfortably instead of the sliver along the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjin View Post
Hello everyone! I got pointed here from Reddit. So until now I was having an "Kindle Keyboard" and it is an amazing device, but after 3-4 years of use it is literally breaking apart and since I love reading I want to have an alternative before it is too late. I wanted to go with another Kindle, but unfortunately I had to discover that they changed them entirely to the opposite of what I'd want. I'm now turning to you in the hopes of finding a nice alternative, so here are my requirements:

- Physical Page Turn Buttons (very important!), preferably on the Sides just like with the Kindle Keyboard but I'll consider others too
- No backlight / backlight can be turned off (because they give me Headaches)
- eInk Display (at least as good as the Kindle Keyboard)
- No Tablets
- Preferably no Touchscreen, but if there is one I need to be able to "lock" it so it does not flip pages to accidental taps or swipes because I accidentally touch the Display a lot whenever I read in bed
- Long Battery Life
- Can change font size and spacing
- Has to be available in other countries (specifically Germany), not just US only. That means no BN Nooks at least.
- No Sony products
- Can be bought new (I want warranty), so no used / out of production models.

On Reddit I got a recommendation for "Pocketbook Touch Lux 2" though it has a Touchscreen and may be a little low contrast when the backlight is turned off, and I'm trying to see what else is there that you guys might know about that fits closest to my requirements.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to post your recommendations
donoharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #17
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
I currently use a Iriver Story Hd. It's slow, and it's got trouble reading some pdfs and most djvus, but it's still available.

I tried an Icarus Illumina e653. I think it's the same as the Boyue T62, just different labels and firmware. I was unable to turn off the touchscreen. It just died after a few weeks. I was unable to get it repaired because of the EU customs charge for broken electronics.

I am looking for a good large-screen e-reader right now. I can't use touchscreens, can't avoid accidentally triggering gestures, and don't want the device accidentally triggering my migraines with zooming or similar animation.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #18
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
You should go with a Pocketbook. You can install Coolreader as an alternative reading software and configure the touch zones to your liking. So simple touch could be disabled, whereas long touch could be used for different functions.
Some PB models like the sense and Ultra have buttons at the sides.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #19
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Or just replace the Kindle 3 front frame. It's simple to do -- I've changed several:
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/Amazon...e-p-20670.html
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #20
guttaperk
guttaperk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I bought a couple old-new-stock 5th generation Kindle devices.

The first is still going strong.

I also love that non-touchscreen, hardware-button lifestyle. But it's going away.
guttaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #21
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know who told you that, but personally I think the haptic page turn sensors on the Voyage are excellent. Better than physical buttons, because you can rest your fingers on them with no risk of turning the page accidentally, and adjust the pressure needed to activate them.

Have you actually used a Voyage? Might be as well to try it before ruling it out.
I am absoutely perplexed by this post.

I have owned a kindle keyboard and have never turned a page by accident. You can rest your finger on the button and can turn a page on it only if you apply the required pressure on the physical button (just like you turn a page on the voyage by applying the required pressure over the haptic buttons).
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #22
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
I have turned pages by accident on both Kindle and Kobo. The Glo touchscreen can be a bit of a pain.

The original wifi Nook had buttons, never did accidentally turn page. Loved the keypad and menu on the bottom.

The only thing bad about the Nook was B&N. I side loaded all the EPUBS. Never bought from B&N.

Last edited by Alpha o; 04-17-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote