Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 02:32 AM   #1
tomassan
tomassan began at the beginning.

Device: nexus 7/nexus 4
Converting mobi to epub for Google play books

Hi all!

I have been trying to convert a .mobi book to .epub to upload and read using the Chrome book reader integrated into Google play books. However is the table of contents useless.

The table of contents inside the book does not link to any chapter in the book, all I get is a selection of the word I click on.

The table of contents that I can view from the buttons in the top right field only contains one item, a link to the front page.

I have done the conversion using Calibre and an on-line tool, and both give the same result.
tomassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
In an ePUB the TOC is derived from the NCX. You can regenerate a TOC/NCX based on header tags in the file with a good editor like Sigil.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #3
tomassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
In an ePUB the TOC is derived from the NCX. You can regenerate a TOC/NCX based on header tags in the file with a good editor like Sigil.
Ok, good to know, I am not so familiar with the parts of an .epub. I installed Sigil and recreated the .ncx file and all looks good in .epub reader but still not in Google books. One peculiar thing is that the TOC shown in Google reader (in Chrome) actually shows page numbers. This, and that the replaced .ncx lead me to believe that Google uses some other metadata and builds it's TOC from that.

So, my question is, what else might I look for? I have noticed that the part files (the .html) has very different naming and are placed differently in the structure of the .epub, don't know if such things matter for compliancy with a certain .epub version?

Any ideas and suggestions appreciated!

Regards,
Tomas
Old 03-28-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I'm wondering if you have paths to the various sections that point to the file system on your computer instead of internally to the epub. Links should go something like ../Text/filename.ext, not c:/.....

That could account for it working on the computer and not elsewhere. Also, file systems differ and Files and files are the same on some systems and not at all on others.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
tomassan

Partial success!!

I think I have found one major difference, in the book where a TOC is presented, there is a file apparentlu making out the structure of the book, where each entry in the TOC is made out of a <div class="booktitlepage"> element, referencing an html file. This file is named part0001.html, don't know if that is a requirement, because the filenames in the other file is in the form of 'CR!GCAHFYZRAS695CC10FM23ZPK64ZF_split_000.html'

Anybody recognizes this? Could there be a glitch in the way Calibre converts to epub format?

Regards,
Tomas
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
part001.html is likely from an azw3-to-epub conversion. CR!{long_long_string_of_random_letters}_split_000. html is almost definitely from a MOBI-to-EPUB conversion.

This is just based on how the two formats internally identify sections in the book. It shouldn't make any difference, however if you like, you can rename the files. Sigil can bulk rename files to match a numbering sequence.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote