Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
I need a good dictionary in my ereader.

hello.

Pleased to meet you. I would like to ask you a question about the dictionary of Neo Bebbok (Boox).

I would like to know if once we open the dictionary this can be minimized, so that once consulted a word is not necessary to reopen and allows access to another word.
I would also like to know if while dictionary is minimized I can be passed to the next page of the book I am reading.

Another questions about Kindle2 global and Bebook neo

Which is faster querying the meaning of several words, first one and then another?,
Which has more battery life? (with wifi off)
which one you like more?

greetings and thanks in advance. Sorry for my poor english

Last edited by ersott; 04-17-2010 at 02:06 AM.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
LesleyO
Voracious Reader
LesleyO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, ersott -- Well, I know nothing about the Neo Bebook, but we have two Kindles in our household, the DXi and the K2i. In each, the dictionary is built-in (you can choose from several, but the New Oxford American Dictionary is the default). All you have to do is put the cursor beside the word you are interested in, using the Kindle's five-way button, and the dictionary automatically pulls up the definition for you at the bottom of the screen. If you need to see more, you toggle the button to the right.

Finding the definition to another word? Just cursor to it. It's a great function! Battery life on the DX (the larger Kindle) is quite good, once it's stopped indexing the books you've downloaded (and that depends on how many it has to index at once). And you can charge it any time, as there is no memory effect. I usually plug mine in when it gets down to about half-power. That can be a week, depending how often I'm downloading. The smaller Kindle uses less power.

Oh, and having a dictionary definition doesn't interfere with reading your book, no!

Hope this helps!
Lesley

PS: I'm in western Canada; it's only 1:16 AM here....

Last edited by LesleyO; 04-17-2010 at 03:17 AM.
LesleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks lesleyO, sounds wonderful, is all that I need

However, I will wait information on using the dictionary, and battery life in the Bebook neo and decide which to buy. K2 sounds fantastic

Thanks, and go to bed
Old 04-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have both a Neo and a Kindle. The dictionary functionality on the Kindle is "slicker" but, overall, I think the Neo is an enormously better machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
ersott
Evangelist

[QUOTE = HarryT; 874645] I have both a Neo and a Kindle. The dictionary functionality on the Kindle is "slicker" but, overall, I think the Neo is an enormously better machine. . [/ Quote]

But do you think dictionary in kindle is a bit better or great better?.

For what I have read, I like more the boox in general, but the dictionary and the duration of the battery are important for me. Because of it if these two aspects are a bit better in k2, it is all the same to me, then I choose Boox, but if they are much better not , then I choose K2.

Another question.

Do you think that will improve the dictionary in subsequent firmware Boox until it is at the level of K2?, Or do not believe it possible.

Thanks for your attention.
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
LesleyO
Voracious Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
[QUOTE = HarryT; 874645] I have both a Neo and a Kindle. The dictionary functionality on the Kindle is "slicker" but, overall, I think the Neo is an enormously better machine. . [/ Quote]

But do you think dictionary in kindle is a bit better or great better?.

For what I have read, I like more the boox in general, but the dictionary and the duration of the battery are important for me. Because of it if these two aspects are a bit better in k2, it is all the same to me, then I choose Boox, but if they are much better not , then I choose K2.

Another question.

Do you think that will improve the dictionary in subsequent firmware Boox until it is at the level of K2?, Or do not believe it possible.

Thanks for your attention.
Ersott, go here: http://mybebook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2148 for a description of how the Bebook Neo handles the dictionary. It sounds like it's a more complicated process; also, it sounds like you need to use a stylus. And while you are offered free dictionaries to pick from, you might have to buy a better one.

I think you will have to read this in order to make a decision....
Lesley
Old 04-19-2010, 03:20 AM   #7
ersott
Evangelist

Thankyou very much LesleyO

I think I've made a very clear idea of how it works, I still like most the Kindle system.

Does anyone know if the system changed in future updates?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
LesleyO
Voracious Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Thankyou very much LesleyO

I think I've made a very clear idea of how it works, I still like most the Kindle system.

Does anyone know if the system changed in future updates?
If you are asking whether the Kindle dictionary system has changed with the recent updates, no, it still works the same way. Hope this helps you.
Lesley
Old 04-21-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
ersott
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesleyO View Post
If you are asking whether the Kindle dictionary system has changed with the recent updates, no, it still works the same way. Hope this helps you.
Lesley
Thanks lesleyO, I was asking if anybody know some future change in the boox dictionary system, sorry for my poor english

greetings

Last edited by ersott; 04-21-2010 at 01:11 PM.