Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
E-book readers save money... and maybe your marriage!

The DearAuthor site presents an interesting top 10 list of reasons why an e-book reader can save you money, and it even finishes off the list with a reason it can save your marriage also!

While financial gain is certainly not the primary motivation for buying an e-book reader, it might surprise you how many ways an electronic reader can save you money. In fact, maybe this list will be just what you need to justify buying that new E Ink reader that you've had your eye on!

Via TeleRead Blog.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur
Frogsmasha began at the beginning.

What happens when a blizzard comes around and turns your town into an iceberg? You can use the books to keep you warm

Frogsmasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha
What happens when a blizzard comes around and turns your town into an iceberg? You can use the books to keep you warm

Ah... but that marriage you saved can do that also! ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Ah... but that marriage you saved can do that also! ;-)
My wife is 6'3", and weighs 89 lbs

Old 09-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Want a new one?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Well, I have one [expensive] iLiad, & my girlfriend want's to read on it, too. So I have to share it, but I don't want. This is not a great help for our relationship. Perhaps we will never get married, thanks to iLiad. So you should never buy only one e-reader, if you are in relationship.

@ linked page:
Quote:
You no longer have disagreements about the light in the bedroom. Because ebook readers are backlit (one reason NOT to buy the Sony Reader),
Did the author understand how e-paper works?

Last edited by yokos; 09-19-2006 at 09:19 AM. Reason: non-native-English-speaker-spelling-mistakes
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Thanks for the link. I do understand the technology behind e ink but I think the fact that you have to have a booklight to read with an ebook reader defeats part of the ease of a digital reading experience. Many of the women who own an ebook reader comment on how nice it is not to have the lamp on at night.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos

There are'nt many people who've seen e-ink in action yet, me included.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
I do understand the technology behind e ink but I think the fact that you have to have a booklight to read with an ebook reader defeats part of the ease of a digital reading experience.
Yes, she knows (if she didn't already, I specifically commented on the point on her site some time ago -- hi, Jane!).

It appears to be a deal-breaker for her, though, outweighing all the benefits of e-ink. Different strokes. There are going to be folks for whom even e-ink electronic readers just don't do the job at all, let alone in this regard. That's just the way it is.

When I'm reading in the dark with my Palm T3, I find the back-light from it to be at least as bright as a clip-on light would be (I sometimes use the backlight as a flashlight in a pinch). Granted, built-in is much handier than clip on, but I'm still hoping for a clip-on type LightWedge (even if I have to build my own), which I think would negate a lot of that.

Last edited by NatCh; 09-19-2006 at 01:02 PM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Frogsmasha
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Want a new one?
Only if she's a fox
Old 09-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #11
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Hey there NatCh. I guess the way I see it is this: there is a decent (not great, but decent) ereader already out there for a low price point: The Ebookwise Reader.

What is going to make the average consumer pay $350 for a ebook reader? One that allows people to read in bed. I would guess that the majority of romance reaaders read at night and in bed. I don't see the eink technology enough to push me over into spending $350.00 on something where I would have to have the lamp on. I know this sounds crazy but I bet you that if you were to take a poll at my site, the majority of people would say that lack of a back light is a deal breaker when there is an existing ereader that "does the job".

Hmm. Maybe I should run a poll.

Oh and it has to look a hell of a lot better than that fugly thing Amazon is thinking about selling. Gah.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jane, I expect you're right about the backlighting being very important to your readers. It was a topic of great discussion 'round here for a long time too. Oddly enough, it quieted sharply when folks got their eyes on the e-ink.

I think that MobileRead probably has more people for whom reading portability is more the aim, so weight, and battery life would the bigger issues to those folks (like me )

I don't mean to disparage Ebookwise in the least, but it is big and a bit heavy and can't compare to an e-ink reader (with proper power management, anyway) on battery life. Add to that the truly beautiful display, and it becomes a lot easier to imagine shelling out $350.

But what that comes down to is a difference in focus and need. If I mostly wanted to read in bed, near a power outlet, without a lamp, then I'd probably make the same choice you have, and keep the extra, what? $150? I fully understand your logic, it just doesn't move me much because my own circumstances are different, that's all.

I am glad that the Ebookwise works so well for you, regardless -- everyone should have a reader they're happy with, even if it's paper!

We are completely agreed that the Amazon thing is pretty hard on the eyes -- and I don't mean the screen.

One thing that should benefit all us e-readers, is that with several devices hitting the market, the pressure rises for publishers to get an extra-colonic perspective on e-books, and maybe even agree on one industry standard format (I can dream, can't I?), so that all readers can read all books, and we don't have to pay 2X hardback price for 15 year old books.

I like the idea of a poll. It would be interesting to do the same poll here and see how they differ. Maybe we could agree on a question and go for it? I'll gladly put one up on this end if we can agree on language.

Something like: How important is backlighting to you in in an electronic reader?
1) I won't buy one without it.
2) I want it, but it's not absolutely vital.
3) If the display, battery life and weght are good enough, I won't miss a backlight much.
4) Backlights? We don't need no stinkin' Backlights!

What do you think?

Last edited by NatCh; 09-19-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:29 PM   #13
da_jane
Evangelist

I like it. Now, I just need to get the stupid polling thing to work on my wordpress site and I'll put it up on Sunday with my DRM article.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Cool I'll go ahead and post it here while I'm thinking about it.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #15
johnnaryry
Connoisseur
johnnaryry doesn't litterjohnnaryry doesn't litter

Device: 64GB Apple iPad 3 WiFi, 32GB Apple iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsmasha
My wife is 6'3", and weighs 89 lbs

I do hope that was a typo and that your wife is either: 6'3" and weighs 189 lbs or 5'3" and weighs 89 lbs.

--ryan
johnnaryry is offline   Reply With Quote