Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Firmware update to smooth things out?

Would a nook firmware update fix most of the problems that the reviewers have been critical about? Such as slowness and improved battery life?
Not to mention changing the lendme option features?
I heard there is a firmware update planned for after the holidays. There "might" be some relief of the horizon.
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Yes, a software update could help with all of those issues. It's worth noting (at least from what I've heard) that B&N has already pushed out one update as of yesterday to resolve some of the issues that have been mentioned thus far.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
I'm not even sure that a firmware update would be necessary for this. I could be completely wrong, but I think any policy changes could be implemented in Content Server.

BTW, I've played with one now and I wouldn't call the device slow--not if you've used other e-ink devices. The touch i/f needs some tuning, though. It seems to have a little trouble distinguish between "sweeps", "throws", and "taps" (was that a "tap" followed by a "sweep", or just a "sweep"?) When in doubt, it just seems to ignore the motion, either that or it sees the gesture, decides it's not in context, and then ignores it?.

Extending the battery life would probably just be a matter of shutting the radios off sooner, dimming the bottom display while it's on, and shutting it off sooner, making the "sweep" page turn function optional so the device doesn't even have to monitor the touchscreen. In other words, power management. Though the quoted battery life doesn't bother me. I don't even know how long my Sony lasts on a charge. I've never kept track. I just plug it in when it says to.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
As long as I can get at least 7 good days of battery life- I will be happy. I will just charge overnight anyway. I don't think the 10 days vs 14 days is not really an issue for me.
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
While I think nook 2.0 my be nice, I guess this version is okay. As stated in my review, they REALLY need a usability expert to work on their menu system. Tap, swipe tap,confirm--**shudder**.
I don't want to knock it too much, but to quote a friend, "Why would I get a nook when all I want to do is read?"
Now with all that said--if you can get by the menus, don't mind lack of TTS, are okay with their credit card security model. The nook is a viable ereader and brings the 1st (IMHO) real competition to the Kindle.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
As long as I can get at least 7 good days of battery life- I will be happy. I will just charge overnight anyway. I don't think the 10 days vs 14 days is not really an issue for me.
I'm down with this. A few days of battery life is plenty. It's unlikely that you'll run into a situation where if only you'd had 8 days instead of 6 in battery life that you wouldn't have run out. If you can manage to go anywhere in the world except for Africa or Antarctica for 6 days without finding a power source I'd be surprised.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh11215 View Post
I don't want to knock it too much, but to quote a friend, "Why would I get a nook when all I want to do is read?"
That's why I still use my Sony 500. No buttons. No gadgets. No gizmos. Just reading. There are times when I think device evolution hit its peak with that unit.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
javajoe96
javajoe96 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Noble Nook, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
Yes, a software update could help with all of those issues. It's worth noting (at least from what I've heard) that B&N has already pushed out one update as of yesterday to resolve some of the issues that have been mentioned thus far.
I believe that I read in one of the review somewhere that they expected to push out 2-3 firmware updates in the next 2-3 months. I think a lot of it is optimizing the B&N software on the Android platform.
javajoe96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
javajoe96
javajoe96 began at the beginning.

Device: Barnes & Noble Nook, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh11215 View Post
While I think nook 2.0 my be nice, I guess this version is okay. As stated in my review, they REALLY need a usability expert to work on their menu system. Tap, swipe tap,confirm--**shudder**.
Now with all that said--if you can get by the menus, don't mind lack of TTS, are okay with their credit card security model. The nook is a viable ereader and brings the 1st (IMHO) real competition to the Kindle.
That is a good point. Then all you really have to do is see which one gives the better reading experience for whatever you are trying to read, epubs, pdfs, etc. The nook supports font changing and reflow for pdfs, so if pdf reading is important to you that is a nice features but still a small screen.
javajoe96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Would a nook firmware update fix most of the problems that the reviewers have been critical about? Such as slowness and improved battery life?
I heard there is a firmware update planned for after the holidays. There "might" be some relief of the horizon.

Imagine you go to a restaurant and the waiter brings you your plate and tells you: "It will be best if you take it home and reheat it tomorrow. The flavors come together better that way."

Why serve your guests a dish thats not at its best when you bring it to the table?
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by javajoe96 View Post
they expected to push out 2-3 firmware updates in the next 2-3 months. I think a lot of it is optimizing the B&N software on the Android platform.
Why didn't they just wait for a April release then?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Why didn't they just wait for a April release then?
Learn to business and you will know why.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Why serve your guests a dish thats not at its best when you bring it to the table?
As a software engineer, I can state with reasonable authority that if you're gonna wait until something is "perfect" before you release it, you're never going to release anything. There are always bugs.

As far as the update last night, I stopped by a B&N today to try out a demo unit again, and the update (IMO) made a big difference in terms of the responsiveness of the unit. A definite improvement, and if B&N is going to keep up with these updates, their customers will be very happy.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaloney View Post
As a software engineer. There are always bugs.
I'm a computer engineer. This is not true.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
Just because you don't know a bug exist doesn't mean there are no bugs.

There are always bugs.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote