Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
wgabi
Enthusiast
wgabi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5
PDF to anything gives me â£ðð }ÏÏøø þûÕ&&ðð

hi,

i'm new to ebooks and just bought my first device, i was looking for answer all over the place, but coudn't find it, maybe someone came across with the same problem before.

i have some book in pdf wich looks perfect on my pc, but no matter how i try to convert, using calibre or sendind through amazon with "Convert" in subject line (i have a new kindle 6") i will always get a result like this text...

"%&øâ® ¢øÔ©«©â£¸" #¥ &ø¹Ôïøð Ï¥&&ïøðÔAß "ýÔøâ«ø ðÕ£'® ©ø£®ïÕ£ ûÏâ® «Ïø

i did try to convert to different formats as well, but still the same, please me...

wgabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
secretdream
secretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: nook
i think,
AVS Document Converter,
or
Abbyy PDF Transformer
is more convenient for pdf convertion problem..
secretdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can you copy & paste text out?

If not, it's probably an embedded font where there is no standard character <-> glyph relation. With some luck each of the whacky characters will stand for a regular character so you could do search&replace. Alternatively regular OCR which recognized the glyphs themselves.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
wgabi
Enthusiast

thank you guys for the fast answer.

1, just tried AVS Document Converter, unfortunately with the same results

2, can i copy & paste text out? yes, but it is the same... on the screen the text is ok, i can copy then paste to any app but it shows up in that messy way.

(and don't know what is: regular "OCR which recognized the glyphs themselves") :-)
Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
wgabi
Enthusiast

good news :-)

Abbyy PDF Transformer did it, it took about 30 mins !!!!!!! (just one book about 1mb) to convert ???? but looks ok

thanks again
Advert
Old 01-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
secretdream
secretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitysecretdream has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: nook
it is ok if you succeed..
but i think,your pdf document may have some kind of protection...(for abbyy it doesn't take 30 minutes for one conversation)...(i didn't remember this problem since now....i don't know but maybe this is it.)

there are some kind of protection that when you look the pdf you don't see any,but when you copy and paste the text,result is like yours...(meaningless characters)...

but i open such documents with Abbyy Fine Reader....
with no problem
secretdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Probably because it imports the PDF as images... And yeah, the PDF is probably encrypted. Try searching for a particular word in the first few pages (not by copy-pasting it, obviously... typing it in). If it can search for whole words but you can't copy-paste then the PDF is definitely protected.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
wgabi
Enthusiast

i did try to search for simple words, but none can be found :-) even if i can see them... i'm no expert at all in this matter, but what you guys say, make sense, most likely it is protected

well, i have learnt something new today

thanks again