Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
An idea so crazy, it just might work

I've always wanted wifi on my PRS500, now it might be possible. Check out the links:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/wireless/...val-313713.php
http://www.eye.fi/news.htm

Igorsk, if this is ever actually released, I will raise funds to buy you a couple on the condition that you get it working with the 500/505.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So does the lack of response mean no one cares, or no one thinks it will work?

I think it's worth a shot.
Advert
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
It seems like the usefulness would be pretty limited unless you also ported over a browser and/or a newsreader, along with the required networking infrastructure to make it work.
gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Its a nice concept designed in the reverse from what you seem to want it to do. It was designed to be a sender of data to be installed in a creation device such as a camera. You seem to want to go the other way and have it receive data.

It would be simpler to get an iLiad iRex or perhaps the infamous Kindle (if we are to believe the FCC release.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Its a nice concept designed in the reverse from what you seem to want it to do. It was designed to be a sender of data to be installed in a creation device such as a camera. You seem to want to go the other way and have it receive data.

It would be simpler to get an iLiad iRex or perhaps the infamous Kindle (if we are to believe the FCC release.)
It would be simpler, but not as cool.
Advert
Old 10-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I can see it work but with a drawback. When you put a card in a reader, it reads it and writes a summary to the card of what it will display in the reader's menu. Once this is done it will not read the content again but the summary it wrote to the card. If you change anything to the card, the reader will not know until you reset the card in or that you restart the reader.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
But then again, I don't see the advantage of using the system. All you're doing is replacing a USB wire with something more expensive. If they make this a feature of the Kindle it's that they expect the device to reach a special shopping site by itself without a computer. There would be no such dealings with a PRS.
If you used it only to get files from your computer to the reader, the computer is the master and the reader still the slave. The system is only useful if the reader becomes the master and the computer the slave, meaning that you could remotely take files from the computer wherever you are with the reader. As it is a reader is totally dumb, you can't even erase a book with it. Unless the whole device is redone, chips and all, there is no software that can make it work this way.
Sorry if I burst you bubble but your idea seemed nice for a while.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

The card is now available. It costs $99 on Amazon. It seems likely that it can provide Wifi capability to the Sony Reader. So I will make the offer again:

Does anyone want to try to hack this card so it will work on the Sony Reader? I will raise the funds to buy the card.

This offer is also good for anyone who writes a basic browser for the Reader.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It seems the card doesn't actually offer any interface to the device, just the basic file storage. I guess you could try to make a "http over filesystem" wrapper by writing and reading the files but that's not really a great solution.
A better approach would be to try an SDIO Wi-Fi card working. But I don't know if the Reader's SD contoller supports SDIO.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Forget the idea. I can't even get the company to respond to my emails.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
thegrendel
thegrendel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Probably won't work

You recall that the Sony reader runs a 2.4 Linux kernel. Plugging in a wifi card would require
a driver. The 2.4 kernel might not support that driver, even if a Linux driver is available and that is by no means a certainty. And, even if there is a Linux driver, it might not work on Sony reader hardware with SD wifi card. And, even if driver is available and would work,
how would you hack the Sony reader in order to install it?

Sorry, too many hurdles to jump over.
thegrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:56 AM   #12
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
What would be neat is if it has enough firmware capability you used it as a RSS reader.

IE the wifi card as its own little computer would download RSS feeds for me and "save them" as txt files on the memory card in the right location so when I turned on the READER it would now see these new TXT files.

IE a passive live blog reader of sorts. THAT would be pretty slick :-)

IF this worked well enough it would even permit LIVE RSS downloads of PODCASTS for your mp3 player or PDA if they could accept SD cards. this would be a really killer app if it could be hacked this way IE if its complicated enough to perform tasks of this nature.

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Just go get a kindle which has wireless built in.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Except if this eye fi could be hacked so many OTHER possibilities become possible :-)
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote