Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Unlighted Amazon cover, possible "fix"

If there's anyone around who still has an unlighted cover that was causing the well known issues, I've been experimenting with a solution (if you could call it that). This is not an alternative to contacting customer service if you have not done so, but I know many people were able to keep the cover after getting a refund from Amazon and may like an option the allows them to use it once more.

This isn't yet tested sufficiently, because success with two covers (mine and a friends) is hardly a definitive result.

If you feel so inclined, or curious, this is what you'll need:

1 dryer sheet. The kind you put in with laundry in a dryer ("Bounce", "Snuggle", or what have you).

Remove the Kindle from the cover if it is not already. Place the dryer sheet atop where the Kindle normally is mounted, so that once the Kindle is in place it sits atop it. Dryer sheet size may not be standard, but mine fit perfectly so that it was invisible once the Kindle was re-attached. Reattach Kindle. The sheet should hold in place without assistance once the Kindle is inserted.

Theory: The freezing/reboot issue is caused by static electricity building up in the material of the cover, then discharging through the hinges when it reaches a high level. Dryer sheets are conductive (treated with a conductive chemical, usually), which is how they mitigate "static cling." Placing it in the cover allows static to run off before building up.

This idea was inspired by the results some people have been getting by removing (yes removing) the coating on their hinges, making them similar to the exposed hinges on the lighted cover. The exposed hinges, freely conductive, mitigate static buildup in the cover. So I began thinking of a way to recreate this effect without altering the case.

If you don't have a dryer sheet, but happen to have an anti-static bag, you can trim off a small square of that material and use it instead. You could probably get creative, but I chose materials I felt would be relatively common and simple to apply.

If you're adventurous, at least insofar as anything involving laundry products is adventurous, feel free to post results/lack thereof.

This post was far too long for "put a dryer sheet under it."

Last edited by OtterBooks; 01-08-2011 at 05:49 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I have the lighted Amazon cover, which doesn't have the problem that the unlighted covers sometimes do, but must say that this is very clever! I hope that a lot of people will try your dryer sheet solution and report their results here so it can be determined if this does solve the problem for most.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Well done for thinking of this solution.
But the bottom line is that users should not have to go to this extent to get the problem sorted. A product should do what it is supposed to do, and not cause other issues in the process. If the cover is causing these issues then Amazon should refund the money and not sell it anymore.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
Snakey
What would Snake do?
Snakey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
That's interesting. My dad still has an unlit problem cover but with the replacement lighted cover working out fine for him I don't think there's much motivation to get the old one working again. He did try to scrape the paint off the hooks and it eventually seemed to improve things but he's now satisfied with the new one. If that wasn't the case I'd have him try your solution, pretty cool.
Snakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
But the bottom line is that users should not have to go to this extent to get the problem sorted. A product should do what it is supposed to do, and not cause other issues in the process. If the cover is causing these issues then Amazon should refund the money and not sell it anymore.
I certainly agree. The continued sale of the cover confuses me, but they've otherwise been exceptional with their handling of the situation, at least in my experience.

You may be aware that Amazon is telling people to just keep their covers after being refunded. People who have not done so should contact customer service, naturally. It's people who have gone through that process and have their extraneous cover still lying around who I felt may want to give this a shot.

Many people have expressed that they very much like the cover, and would use it if not for the issues. I'm one of those people, and now I've been using what was my favorite cover once again (and a free cover at that), so I thought I would share this, and maybe find out if my experience isn't a fluke.

Edit: once again, this is still inconclusive (it could freeze any minute, who knows?); I'm making no claims other than my own experience so far, but since it involves a free cover and a laundry sheet, I figured it pretty low risk mentioning for those in a similar situation.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 01-08-2011 at 07:54 PM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Some real innovative thinking at work there, OtterBooks!
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
yogibare143
Tolkien Rules!
yogibare143 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3, kindle Fire
I coated my tabs with epoxy and has worked good for a month. Before had at least 1 lockup every other day.
yogibare143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Many people have expressed that they very much like the cover, and would use it if not for the issues. I'm one of those people, and now I've been using what was my favorite cover once again (and a free cover at that), so I thought I would share this, and maybe find out if my experience isn't a fluke..
yes, sure agree if you have received a refund AND being able to keep the old cover and use it. Good point.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Thanks @OtterBooks, for a possible simple solution. My own solution is equally simple -- hold the power switch 5 seconds to blank the screen (this does NOT turn the K3 off to total-reboot status), then insert it into the cover. The power-switch restart is the same 1-2 seconds as from the 'screensaver.' I've never had an issue when doing this.

What continues to bother me, however, is that my freeze issues occurred after putting the K3 down and returning some hours later. It is frozen when picked up. Nothing I can think of would cause a build-up of static on an immobile cover lying on a table overnight...and yes, I did try grounding myself before picking the cover up once the posts here suggested a static issue.

I hope we receive more updates on the dryer sheet solution.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
If the cover is causing these issues then Amazon should refund the money and not sell it anymore.
Er, they ARE doing. Refunding anyone who's having problems, I mean. The thing is, though, that only a small number of people are having problems with it. Most of them work just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Er, they ARE doing. Refunding anyone who's having problems, I mean. The thing is, though, that only a small number of people are having problems with it. Most of them work just fine.
I've taken that gamble. I don't know how it'll work out yet, but I was frustrated enough by what was available that I chose the Amazon cover.

Aside from the dryer sheet, I wonder how a spray of Static Guard on the felt would do. The smell of dryer sheets has always been pretty cloying to me.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So you mean, basically, I can go now online and order a non-lighted cover, claim it is freezing my device, and ask for a refund?

Hmmm
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWorthWhile View Post
So you mean, basically, I can go now online and order a non-lighted cover, claim it is freezing my device, and ask for a refund?

Hmmm
Yes, you can do that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
I have the Amazon cover on my K2, and have really loved it. I had ordered the M-Edge 'Go' to replace a less 'grown-up' looking cover, but was within my 30 days when Amazon announced the cover with the bungee closure, and returned the 'Go' cover quick as a blink. (My 'Go' for the K2 became too floppy too quickly -- and was just a bit too 'sleek'.)

I liked that Amazon cover enough that I got that one for my husband's K3 when I ordered it for him. By the time I was ready to order my own K3, though, the problem had been identified. I was pretty bummed, and ended up choosing a different cover, which hasn't arrived yet. That one has an elastic closure rather than a bungee, and I'm not at all convinced that the elastic will hold up like the bungee has. But maybe my husband will want to swap and I can try the dryer sheet trick. (if i can find a fragrance-free dryer sheet..)

I'm in favor of Amazon fixing the hooks if they haven't already. I like the design of that cover a lot. Particularly the texture. It reminds me of a ring-binder from the 40's that my dad let me have back when I was at the university.)
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take the problem with the unlighted cover to kick in, but I've been using mine since Christmas without a problem yet. Of course, I don't take my Kindle out of the cover, so that might be the difference.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote