Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
soup
soup began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I need to make a table...

I need to make a table.

11 rows, 3 columns.

I'm assuming I could make/find some code, put it into the code section of Sigil, then when in the page view I could type in what I want to ebe in the cells....

yes? no?

how do tables generally go with epubs?
soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Here's a tutorial.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
While we're here, I was about to start testing on table in epub, whereas before I've converting them to images.

So to save me the trouble
How do they translate to the readers (kindle etc, as I don't have one to test with only ADE)
If you get a long one will it break?
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Simple tables generally work reasonably well, although not all reading devices have good support for them. Don't try to be too "fancy" and you should be OK.

They will break on a page boundary, but often not "cleanly" - the text in the bottom row can be cut off, so don't try to write an essay in a single table cell .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
You could also insert a table in Open Office Writer document and using the epub extension for OpenOffice convert the whole document to epub. No need for html coding but you'd really like to keep those table borders close to your text.
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
I need to make a table.

11 rows, 3 columns.

I'm assuming I could make/find some code, put it into the code section of Sigil, then when in the page view I could type in what I want to ebe in the cells....

yes? no?

how do tables generally go with epubs?
No one told me you can't do tables so one chapter of a book I'm doing lists the whole chapter as one giant table 3 columns wide.

Type of plant
Nutrients
Healing Properties

It starts with Alfalfa and ends at Watercress

Each even row has a background colour so you can distinguish the start of the new row when one cell is so long it wraps to the following page without it's associated cells.

I have also done a weights and liquids conversion table with coloured header background and alternating coloured rows and single pixel coloured border. They display great in iBooks, Calibre and the browser but the background colours don't appear in ADE.

Maybe I can make a shortened version of those chapters for you to check out so you can have a look at what I've done and you could test them on any devises you have to let me know if they work on them and you can get a head start on any tables you were thinking of doing.

I'm also interested how your devises might display the images. I only have an iPad so any feedback would be very welcome.

As for Sigil, I've downloaded it but haven't learned to fly it yet. If you do use some of the code maybe you could let me know how you did it.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Here's the book with the tables and pics in it. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I had some help from our web designer upstairs with the css for the tables.
Here is some useful guidelines.
http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_table.asp
Attached Files
File Type: epub Wannabee.epub (1.45 MB, 201 views)

Last edited by wannabee; 10-27-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: add URL
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote