Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #46
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
What about "My daughters' husbands" in Danish - where you have several daughters and each has a husband - doesn't an apostrophe come in there somewhere?
No, in Danish 'datter', when more than one changes til døtre.

"My daughters' husbands" in Danish - Mine døtres ægtemænd..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #47
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
don't all men?
You beat me to it, only I probably couldn't have thought of saying it in just 3 words...
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #48
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
You beat me to it, only I probably couldn't have thought of saying it in just 3 words...
tis' truth!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #49
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Can you tell me what the rule is in this case, please? I would have guessed that either is acceptable though I would likely have left out the comma.
When I learned English grammar, they taught me that in English a comma is always used a conjunction is used. In Dutch some conjunctions don't use a comma.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #50
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
When I learned English grammar, they taught me that in English a comma is always used a conjunction is used. In Dutch some conjunctions don't use a comma.
We were taught (in Denmark) to put an 'x' under the nouns and an 'o' under the verbs, and if you had 2 of each in a sentence, you had to put a comma in between.

I my memory serves me right, we did millions of these exercises...
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #51
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Strunk & White's Elements of Style seems an excellent resource, but it is obviously tailored towards those who already have a modicum of english grammar understanding. When the second chapter starts mentioning things such as "pronominal possessives", "conjunctions", "non-restrictive relative clauses" and "connectives", I begin to shudder and wonder how I managed to cope when writing work related scripts and managerial documents; wondering how many howlers I made.

Perhaps needing to know the minutiae of grammar is not strictly necessary, but it would have been "a nice to know". And as my formal education ceased decades ago, I fear I missed out on some things....(perhaps!)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #52
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
you have more than one head
Kenny is so confused his brother's head exploded!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #53
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
In ebooks one can sometimes see crimes against grammar (and spelling) due to OCR.
It isn't necessarily because they're uneducated people - greed overrules the need for proofreading.
And just for the record: I wasn't taught grammar in a traditional sense at (public) school. The New South Wales government thought it would overburden young minds to teach them the tenants of grammar, and thought people could learn grammar by osmosis (or something).
I hope I haven't made too many grammatical errors..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I've been reading indie books and reviewing them, and there have been at least three I've read in the past few months that have abused and terrorized (or outright neglected!) commas. What is up with that?

While I'm not a high school English teacher, and I do tend to ramble in posts at times (because I write like I think.... I'm much more careful when writing up research and such), I feel I have a fairly good understanding of the English language, commas included.

Is it that schools no longer teach grammar rules? I can attest to the fact that the school where I worked for many years (K-12) did not, in fact, do much teaching in the area of grammar. When I was in secondary school, English and Literature were two different classes. Now they are one, combined and shortened.

After reading this last book, I even looked up every reputable site I could find about the rules governing the use of commas to be sure I wasn't crazy and making up my own rules for those blasted things. I wasn't.

If I'm reading along, trying to enjoy a fairly interesting book, and I see a sentence like this:

I'm thrown off. I'm distracted by the missing commas as well as the misplaced commas. Because of those commas, the cadence of the sentence is wrong, and I'm left to try to discern meaning. All I really end up doing is proofreading it in my head, which takes my time and energy away from enjoying the story. And some of these books are getting 5 star reviews left and right, for the "awesome story" and "what a thriller" plotlines, and I just can't get past the writing.

Is this an insidious phenomena in my very own head? Anyone else noticing this?

Spoiler:
(And if anyone would like to point out any mistakes I've used in punctuation in this thread because it makes him or her feel better, that's fine with me. It may have been a typo, it may have been an honest mistake, or it may be ignorance... but I'm not publishing this in ebook format and expecting people to pay $9.99 to read my errors.)
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
In ebooks one can sometimes see crimes against grammar (and spelling) due to OCR.
It isn't necessarily because they're uneducated people - greed overrules the need for proofreading.
And just for the record: I wasn't taught grammar in a traditional sense at (public) school. The New South Wales government thought it would overburden young minds to teach them the tenants of grammar, and thought people could learn grammar by osmosis (or something).
I hope I haven't made too many grammatical errors..
I think you may perhaps mean "the tenets of grammar" rather than the "tenants" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 AM   #55
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you may perhaps mean "the tenets of grammar" rather than the "tenants" .
You picking apart my government school educated English?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #56
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
You picking apart my government school educated English?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #57
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
AprilHare, it is called the "whole language" approach to English and literature. The thought was that by reading tons and tons you would get all knowledge you needed on how to write and on what good writing was. It fell out of favor many years ago here in the US.

It doesn't make sense to me. I can look at an electrical schematic, and see certain things always seem to go close together, but I wouldn't know why, or how to make my own schematic.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
A syllabus written by a certain professor who shall remain nameless about drove me crazy because of the author's constant use of there's with a plural object. Here are a few examples from the syllabus:

.....* These are the kinds of things that we'll get what we think we'll get from them. That there's promises that are understood from allegiance and loyalty to this.

.....* Well, this left him with a perception of life that he didn't have before, a perception of, "Wow, there's people out there that are really suffering."

.....* There's prayers to ancestors asking for assistance on this path.

.....* There's not a lot of stories or a lot of grand legends around his death.

I don't remember a single there are in the entire syllabus.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-12-2010 at 05:44 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #59
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
As a card-carrying member of the grammar police, I am feeling all warm and fuzzy just reading this thread. You care! You really care!, as Sally Field might say.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #60
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
If someone is speaking about renters who live here, "The Tennants of Grammar" would be correct.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote