Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #19996
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Tomorrow I will start Hyperion by Dan Simmons for the book club. Really looking forward to it.
For some reason it took a long time to get into Hyperion so it took a lot longer than I was expecting but it was worth it. Now I have a song stuck in my head though. For those that have read it, you know what I am talking about.

Next up is probably NOS4A2 by Joe Hill or maybe The Wizard of Oz, which I have been considering since April's "Classics" month in the book club, I have a few hours to decide.

Edit: April, not December, although I had been considering it before that.

Last edited by Dazrin; 06-17-2014 at 06:46 PM. Reason: I are dumb.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #19997
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just started that one. Looks interesting. The Doctor isn't as popular in the USA as he is overseas, but I've been fortunate to view some of the earliest episodes, although many have missing scenes and many scenes have missing video or audio, and other episodes are lost entirely.
Dr. Who is very popular in the USA.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #19998
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Something a bit more recent - the latest Analog SFF, September 2014.
Which was OK. I would have rated it as good, except one story was written in the "You are..." kind of style which I really dislike.

Now for The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, which I bought all the way back in October 2013!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:34 AM   #19999
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
On Monday I've started 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. In the first twelve hours I've already read 41% of the book, which is quite unusual for me.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #20000
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
On Monday I've started 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. In the first twelve hours I've already read 41% of the book, which is quite unusual for me.
Good going samhy! I've just finished A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor (#2 in the Chronicles of St. Mary's series), which was just as good as #1, and am contemplating whether to go straight on to the next one, A Second Chance, or pace myself and read something else first. Decisions decisions.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #20001
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ooh, that was fun. I think I'll go ahead and read #3, Whispers Underground. I must say, I'm quite enjoying these books. Police procedural in modern London, with urban fantasy overlaid. Oh, and a protagonist who is not a DCI, not a toff, and not white.
Loved it. I'm not quite sure what it is about these books that really works so well for me, but I think it's the Peter Grant character as much as anything. He is so not like the typical police detective of most British mysteries - at least a DI, and all too often from a better background than pretty much any real British DI. Plus the backdrop of modern London definitely adds to the story.

Next up, A Mighty Fortress, book #4 in the Safehold series from David Weber. I'm doing a combined audio/eBook read of this.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #20002
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Good going samhy! I've just finished A Symphony of Echoes by Jodi Taylor (#2 in the Chronicles of St. Mary's series), which was just as good as #1, and am contemplating whether to go straight on to the next one, A Second Chance, or pace myself and read something else first. Decisions decisions.
I am very glad to hear that the second is as good as the first. I need to get my hands on #2 and #3 soon.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #20003
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Almost halfway through Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. Didn't like it at first, but I'm liking it better now as I'm getting more interested in the characters. Not his usual horror type of book, it's more of a mystery.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #20004
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Loved it. I'm not quite sure what it is about these books that really works so well for me, but I think it's the Peter Grant character as much as anything. He is so not like the typical police detective of most British mysteries - at least a DI, and all too often from a better background than pretty much any real British DI. Plus the backdrop of modern London definitely adds to the story.

Next up, A Mighty Fortress, book #4 in the Safehold series from David Weber. I'm doing a combined audio/eBook read of this.
I struck a reading lull a few weeks ago and now have five books going, but none that hold my attention. Some of these failures are beautifully written books. Based upon your posts, CRussel, I tried Midnight Riot, the first Peter Grant, and it is defeating this current reading paralysis. Very entertaining. Thanks!
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #20005
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:

I am a big fan of British urban fantasy and Steampunk. I enjoyed all of the Abrahams books. Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris introduced me to Steampunk. Very good IMO. I am a big fan of British mysteries of almost any type.

Two Canadian mystery authors I have been enjoying recently are Jack Batten - Crang and Howard Engel - Benny Cooperman. Not Urban Fantasy, sort of medium boiled detective. I think you would like them.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #20006
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up is ... The Wizard of Oz, which I have been considering since April's "Classics" month in the book club...
It was a short, fun read; as expected. I read it probably 20 years ago and didn't really remember what the differences between it and the movie were. I know I continued farther into the series then (although it may have been a novelization of "Return to Oz") but I doubt I will continue this time around.

Next up: NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. I think. Nope, Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, another purchase from early this year.

Last edited by Dazrin; 06-19-2014 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Decided on a book
Old 06-19-2014, 03:45 AM   #20007
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Crooked House" by Agatha Christie. This was her 48th book, and was originally published in 1949.

Quote:
Three generations of the Leonides family live together under wealthy patriarch Aristide. His first wife died; her sister Edith has cared for the household since then. His second wife is the indolent Brenda, decades his junior, suspected of having a clandestine love affair with the grandchildren's tutor. After Aristide is poisoned by his own eye medicine (eserine), his granddaughter Sophia tells narrator and fiancé Charles Hayward that they cannot marry until the killer is apprehended. Charles' father, "The Old Man", is the Assistant Commissioner of Scotland Yard, so Charles investigates from the inside along with assigned detective, Chief Inspector Taverner. When 12-year-old Josephine is discovered seriously injured by a booby-trap and Nanny is poisoned by hot chocolate after Brenda and the tutor are arrested, the danger escalates to a surprise finish.
This was Agatha Christie's personal favourite of her own books, and it's easy to see why. The ending is an absolute stunner - something that was, at the time, unique in detective fiction. Very, very highly recommended.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #20008
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I finished it before going to bed. There was no way I could wait to see how it would end. And I loved it. The story was much more sensible than I expected it to be. I haven't been that tensed when reading a book in a long time (and surely people around me in the bus could tell).
If suicide isn't a blacklisted topic for you, I highly recommend this book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
If it were me, I would read something else first but it's only because I need some "fresh air" to keep enjoying a story.

I hope the issue with #2 at Kobo will be over soon. It doesn't cast a good light on Kobo, Jodi Taylor nor Accent Press
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:54 AM   #20009
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just finished Custer at the Alamo by Gregory Urbach. I looked at the description and thought why not. I was pleasantly surprised at how well written the book is. The attention to historical detail was spot on. The characters came across as very human. I would rate it at least 4 stars for a good story even if the premise is fantasy. If you like historical fiction give it a try.
http://www.amazon.com/Custer-at-Alam.../dp/B00DQJC4EC
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #20010
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I struck a reading lull a few weeks ago and now have five books going, but none that hold my attention. Some of these failures are beautifully written books. Based upon your posts, CRussel, I tried Midnight Riot, the first Peter Grant, and it is defeating this current reading paralysis. Very entertaining. Thanks!
So glad you're enjoying it! It's one of those odd books that if you simply read the description you'd likely give it a pass. But somehow, it works. Even though I'm mostly avoiding "urban fantasy" or anything like it these days.

I just broke down and bought #4 in the series (Broken Homes), which gives me incentive to finish off this current Safehold monstrosity so I can get back to Peter Grant and the other characters in these Rivers of London books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote