Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Consumer-replaceable battery

I've never had an iPod. I don't imagine that I will ever get one because I don't enjoy listening to music with headphones (or, I suppose, earbuds).

But from the get go Apple alienated me when I learned that the iPod's battery needed to be replaced every 18 months or so (I can imagine that the kids with iPods use them a lot), and that the consumer/owner could not replace the battery himself. He is required to send the unit back to Apple. As I recall, Apple's sales pitch suggested that they would change the battery for you, but in reality they were sending you a different (I assume a rebuilt, used) unit with a different hard drive, so if you hadn't saved your music on your computer you were out of luck.

So now it appears to me that the eBook reader industry is much like the mp3 player industry was, what with the practice of linking a bookstore's DRM to a particular reader (similar to Apple's iTunes website being linked to the iPod).

I have been intrigued by reading Robertb's sales pitches about the Astak Pocket Pro, particularly the part where he says that his product allows the consumer to change his own battery.

That is a concept I would like to see included in the eInk eBook reader matrix. Since it is not there, I wonder if there is a list somewhere of those eBook readers which allow you to change your own battery. Or is the Hanlin V-5 the only one?

Can anyone name any others?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The K1 has a simple, user replaceable battery. $19.99 from Amazon. Along with a SD card slot, something else they decided to forego with the K2, under the guise of 'improvements'.

You can still find K1's on Ebay, and sometimes here.

edit.......Amazon also sells the refurbished K1's when they have them in stock....full warranty.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FI73MA

Last edited by desertgrandma; 08-15-2009 at 11:44 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I have Motorola cell phone more than 3 years and it has replacable battery but I never replaced it. What is the reason to replace battery if it works fine for 3-4 years? After 3-4 years people can replace cell phone or eBook reader if something wrong with battery. I don't think that replacable battery is very important feature for eBook readers.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I have Motorola cell phone more than 3 years and it has replacable battery but I never replaced it. What is the reason to replace battery if it works fine for 3-4 years? After 3-4 years people can replace cell phone or eBook reader if something wrong with battery. I don't think that replacable battery is very important feature for eBook readers.
A phone is usually replaced much more often than every three or four years.

I think replaceable batteries ARE very important features for ebook readers for the following reason.

When you return your unit to Amazon, to get the battery replaced, you do NOT get your original unit back. You get another unit, whether you send it to Amazon, or to one of those insurance places. I've called both to verify this.

Unless you have all your books backed up, you will lose them.

How many people (not from here, of course!) have the sense to strip the drm and back their books up?

I don't want 'another unit'. I plan to keep my Kindle until it literally wears out.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
A phone is usually replaced much more often than every three or four years.

I think replaceable batteries ARE very important features for ebook readers for the following reason.

When you return your unit to Amazon, to get the battery replaced, you do NOT get your original unit back. You get another unit, whether you send it to Amazon, or to one of those insurance places. I've called both to verify this.

Unless you have all your books backed up, you will lose them.

How many people (not from here, of course!) have the sense to strip the drm and back their books up?

I don't want 'another unit'. I plan to keep my Kindle until it literally wears out.
I keep all my books on SD card and if I get another unit I can read it the same way as I read on original unit. The main point if the battery good enough to work for 3-4 years you don't need to replace it.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:03 AM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kris, if everything else works fine, why should I be content to replace my eBook reader just because its battery has died, no matter how old it is?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
That is a concept I would like to see included in the eInk eBook reader matrix. Since it is not there, I wonder if there is a list somewhere of those eBook readers which allow you to change your own battery. Or is the Hanlin V-5 the only one?

Can anyone name any others?
All Jinke and Netronix-based devices have user-replaceable battery, so that means:

BeBook
Hanlin V3
Aztak EZ-Reader
BeBook Pro and clones thereof
CyBook Opus and Gen3
Cool-ER

etc.

Sony and iRex devices have non-replaceable batteries, as does the Kindle 2.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
There are many people who do not want to replace the hardware they already paid for if it still does the job they bought it for (allow them to read books).

Even cell phones do not need to be replaced unless their are new features that you must have.

Companies realized they could get you to buy again by artificially limiting the life of a device by keeping you from easily changing the battery.

Once again, they are controlling what you have bought. So what did you really buy - a battery or an Ereader?
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I've got another for you:

When we go on holiday, we generally go with a tent. We don't need electricity (it's only a small tent). Now, let's assume I've an e-ink reader. We'll be going at least 3 weeks. So, that's 3 weeks without electricity. 3 weeks without a chance of charging any batteries. That's not problem for my camera because I have two batteries. It's no problem for my phone as I'll have that turned off unless I need it to make an emergency phone call. But, after two weeks the battery of my e-ink device is dead. It would have been very handy if I had the possibility to bring a spare battery. This is why I like user replacable batteries (and why we always bring a photo camera with us that takes ordinary AA batteries)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

When we go on holiday, we generally go with a tent. We don't need electricity (it's only a small tent). Now, let's assume I've an e-ink reader. We'll be going at least 3 weeks. So, that's 3 weeks without electricity. 3 weeks without a chance of charging any batteries. That's not problem for my camera because I have two batteries. It's no problem for my phone as I'll have that turned off unless I need it to make an emergency phone call. But, after two weeks the battery of my e-ink device is dead. It would have been very handy if I had the possibility to bring a spare battery. This is why I like user replacable batteries (and why we always bring a photo camera with us that takes ordinary AA batteries)
Well, that's easy to solve: http://www.amazon.com/MACALLY-Extern.../dp/B000CGG8LW
Or something similar.
As long as you can charge your unit via USB, you can charge it via external battery as well.
I've got 2 such batteries, each about the size of a video iPod.

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-16-2009 at 01:58 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All Jinke and Netronix-based devices have user-replaceable battery, so that means:

BeBook
Hanlin V3
Aztak EZ-Reader
BeBook Pro and clones thereof
CyBook Opus and Gen3
Cool-ER

etc.

Sony and iRex devices have non-replaceable batteries, as does the Kindle 2.
Thanks Harry!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Even an iPod should not need a new battery as often as every 18 months. As I mentioned in another thread, a LiIon battery should give about three years service if charged every night. The main reason the batteries don't last as long as they should is due to improper charging or discharging a battery too far.

Here is my rule of thumb. If the device is used daily, then put it on the charger at night. If it isn't used that often, then put it on the charger when the battery level gets to between 1/4 - 1/3. Don't leave it plugged into the charger for days/weeks at a time. Unless I have a defective battery, I always get maximum life this way.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #13
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Is it means that if you have a choice to buy eBook reader with non replacable batterry or with ordinary AA batteries you will choose AA batteries option?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 AM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I picked up a service manual for the Sony 505, it it looks to be about a 15-minute job to replace the battery. Perhaps daunting for some folks, but if you've ever opened your computer tower and replaced a card, or changed a battery in a portable house phone, it's just a step or two beyond that. The battery itself is a simple plug-in. The difficulties are the few screws holding the top down and the case onto the back. Knowing how often companies stop supporting products, I bought a replacement battery to have on hand just in case. Not so expensive, and a bit of peace of mind knowing that this won't get to be a problem for me. Not like changing a battery in a flashlight, but not rocket science either.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Is it means that if you have a choice to buy eBook reader with non replacable batterry or with ordinary AA batteries you will choose AA batteries option?
Yes. That way, if I really had no way to charge my batteries, I could take the one from my flashlight and buy new ones the next time I see a shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
or changed a battery in a portable house phone,
Our house phone uses AA batteries...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote