Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #91
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
So you are complaining because they brought out a better model? And my point wasn't that the only-in-the-US rule was good, or bad, but that you *knew* the rule and that you *knew* you have no support outside the US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Why we are complaining:
For the sake of being able to purchase ePub books and PDF reflow support we have to outlay on the order of $300 compared to people inside the US getting to pay merely $100, because Sony insists on these bizarre international border limitations.
The main benefit of ePub for me would be that I could purchase ebooks where I live, since the Sony Store is bricked off from us. I speak the same language as our US friends (besides "faucet" and "tap" and "gray" and "grey"); I live in a similar society; we have good trading and social relations with the US, including Americans who live and work here - but this silly arrangement is kept to humor lawyers and Sony executives at the expense of us, the international consumer.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #92
quig
quig began at the beginning.

Device: Jornada 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacchi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Nate the Great who started the campaign has suggested in another thread holding off. He was working on some other deal for Sony 500 owners.
Can you link this thread?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you are still thinking about taking advantage of this offer, please wait a couple weeks. I'm waiting to hear back from someone about something.

I'm not making any promises, just suggesting that you wait.

Last edited by quig; 08-10-2008 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add more context
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 06:20 AM   #93
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
So you are complaining because they brought out a better model? And my point wasn't that the only-in-the-US rule was good, or bad, but that you *knew* the rule and that you *knew* you have no support outside the US!
Do you think we non-US citizens don't know that we *knew*? Ratio and emotion sometimes diverge a bit. You know something could work out badly but you hope it will not. You see a lot of people request a firmware update (which would be available for everyone) and the result is a pocket-money offer. So, a certain amount of disappointment should be understandable.

BTW I would also be disappointed as a US citizen because I tend to use hardware until it starts becoming a pain to use it which is never less than 4 years and I think that firmware support should be available for at least 3 years. According to Wikipedia the PRS-500 was introduced in Sep. 2007 [edit: this is a typo, should read "Sep. 2006"] ... no full 2 years ago. Since there was also the Librie I would not consider the PRS-500 a technology experiment.

hansl

Last edited by hansl; 08-11-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: semantically fatal typo
Old 08-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #94
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
Do you think we non-US citizens don't know that we *knew*? Ratio and emotion sometimes diverge a bit. You know something could work out badly but you hope it will not. You see a lot of people request a firmware update (which would be available for everyone) and the result is a pocket-money offer. So, a certain amount of disappointment should be understandable.

BTW I would also be disappointed as a US citizen because I tend to use hardware until it starts becoming a pain to use it which is never less than 4 years and I think that firmware support should be available for at least 3 years. According to Wikipedia the PRS-500 was introduced in Sep. 2007 ... no full 2 years ago. Since there was also the Librie I would not consider the PRS-500 a technology experiment.

hansl
I understand a slight disappointment, I would love an update with EPUB support for my PRS500 too...but hey, the reader still works just fine so no problem. It should work, without any additional updates, just the way it is now for quite some time.....so it's not a pain to use it, right?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
According to Wikipedia the PRS-500 was introduced in Sep. 2007 ... no full 2 years ago.
The 500 was released in Oct 2006; the 505 in Oct 2007.
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #96
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The 500 was released in Oct 2006; the 505 in Oct 2007.
OOPS, typo, I meant Sep 2006 of course. But Oct 2006 makes even less than less than 2 years

hansl
Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #97
hansl
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
I understand a slight disappointment, I would love an update with EPUB support for my PRS500 too...but hey, the reader still works just fine so no problem. It should work, without any additional updates, just the way it is now for quite some time.....so it's not a pain to use it, right?
Now, after a lengthy learning process on how to deal with pdfs, it's no pain at all to use it. Only this unbeatable standby mode which drains the battery within a week is a thorn in my flesh which could have been healed by a firmware update (or maybe not).

hansl
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #98
DragonRider
DragonRider began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Im happy with the idea and plan to take advantage of it.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #99
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I ordered mine right away (didn't see the 'hold-off' post until too late) and received it today. Wow! It's gorgeous! Much classier design that the original, imo. And the e-ink display is a lot brighter, the contrast is better than I had thought it was. Glad I waited (because of the credit) but had I known it was this much better of a design, I think I would have bought one much sooner.

I have it now and am loving it!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #100
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
My PRS500's screen was broken, can I do the trade in with Sony still?
Old 08-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #101
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27520 has been closed. Does that mean that whatever Nate was thinking might come through is dead? I'm thinking of getting the red Sony 505 for my wife for an anniversary present, might do the $100 trade-in, might try Ebay, but I was waiting a little to find out why Nate was saying to hold off.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #102
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
No. I closed it right away so people wouldn't ask me why they shoudl wait.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #103
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No. I closed it right away so people wouldn't ask me why they shoudl wait.
So... why should we wait?

KIDDING! Just Kidding!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Next time I'm near SonyStyle, I'll stop in and ask if the 500 has to be working. Might not be till Monday or Tuesday.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #105
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Can you upload that user's guide? The one available on support side is still the old one.
I'd be happy to, but I don't really want to host the file on my personal FTP server. Is there a way to upload it to the forum?

Here's a link to the UG that I hope will work:

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/docume...a-953efaa54833

Last edited by induna; 08-16-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
duck!