Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Supreme Court stops Amazon workers lawsuit

The Supreme Court stops the Amazon workers lawsuit

http://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-...&mg=reno64-wsj

Really, I'm surprised it got that far. It was pretty straight forward from a legal point of view.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Pay wall.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Outrageous ruling! If it's required for continued employment, then pay 'em.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I don't have a problem with it. Don't like it, find another job where you don't have to do it.

We all know that some people would be helping themselves to the merchandise if these screenings weren't in place.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I don't have a problem with it. Don't like it, find another job where you don't have to do it.

We all know that some people would be helping themselves to the merchandise if these screenings weren't in place.
I don't have a problem with the screenings, but they should be done on the clock, not off the clock.
Advert
Old 12-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't have a problem with the screenings, but they should be done on the clock, not off the clock.
Agreed, if the company wants to implement the screening they should be paying the hourly employees for the time they're in line. If it's not an "integral and indispensable" part of their job they should have the option of bypassing it.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Agreed, if the company wants to implement the screening they should be paying the hourly employees for the time they're in line. If it's not an "integral and indispensable" part of their job they should have the option of bypassing it.
Exactly
Old 12-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
This has been going on for a long time and not just at Amazon. Back when I worked in manufacturing we had a similar policy and we did not get paid for the time it took to get through screening either.

I remember one time they caught this person electroplating his belt buckle with gold I think they got a few ounces before they were caught. It was that kind of stuff that caused the inspections to begin with.

So no I don't have a problem with it.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It would take a lot of electroplating to get an ounce of gold. He would have been having to do it over and over for a long time. Most gold plating is measured in thousandth of an inch.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I used to stand in line to punch the time clock. I didn't get paid for that time, just from the time I punched in. And I didn't get paid waiting to get out of the parking lot, either. People are ridiculous. I haven't gone to lunch in forever--everyone works hard these days.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Outrageous ruling! If it's required for continued employment, then pay 'em.
It's not outrageous, it's how the law is written and has been since the 30's. Where are you going to draw the line? Should people be able to charge for the amount of time it takes to get from home to work and back? I mean, actually showing up is generally required for continued employment.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I can only see this much of the Article before the WSJ wants me to subscribe:
Quote:
WASHINGTON—The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled Amazon.com Inc.’s warehouse workers weren’t entitled to overtime pay for time they spent in antitheft screenings at the end of work shifts, a decision that could benefit several leading companies.

The court, in an unanimous opinion by Justice Clarence Thomas, said the workers
Because this screening is done at the end of a shift then my solution is that it happens in company time.

On mining sites in Aus you get random drug/alcohol screening immediately prior to entering the site. And if you work in a gold or diamond processing area then you get random screened in company time on the way out.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-10-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: add 'in company time'
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I used to stand in line to punch the time clock. I didn't get paid for that time, just from the time I punched in. And I didn't get paid waiting to get out of the parking lot, either. People are ridiculous. I haven't gone to lunch in forever--everyone works hard these days.
Did you spend an hour or more doing those things? My understanding is that in this case, the time spend waiting to be searched is not trivial.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Did you spend an hour or more doing those things? My understanding is that in this case, the time spend waiting to be searched is not trivial.
I can believe that there's been some delays along the way, but I simply don't believe the time spent is consistently non-trivial. Just like warehouse temperatures, isolated incidents get blown out of proportion.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #15
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's not outrageous, it's how the law is written and has been since the 30's. Where are you going to draw the line? Should people be able to charge for the amount of time it takes to get from home to work and back? I mean, actually showing up is generally required for continued employment.
You can draw the line that the party(s) who benefits pays. If it's a shared benefit it's a shared cost. In this case it's the company that is making the decision to implement or not and dumping the cost on the employees.

If Amazon was losing $500K a year from employee theft at this plant and it cost them $800K a year to implement the security scans then they would probably decide not to implement. If it only costs them $200K a year and they can dump that lost time on the employees it would be a different decision. If the decision is to have one security station and everyone waits 30 minutes a day or three security stations and everyone waits 10 minutes a day then Amazon's decision would be very different if the employees were on the clock or not.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote