Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Question PW2 - Collection Items over 999

Hi:

I've been tweaking my collections and I just noticed that one of my collections wasn't saving the items that I was adding, then I noticed the number was not going over 999 even though it says it was saving the collection. Of course then when I detail into the collection the new items wasn't showing up. Does anyone have a collection that has more than 999 items in it?? Is this a quirk of my pw or once again Amazon didn't forsee this large number of items being in a collection??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
lol I don't even have 500 items on my kindle : ) (I'm soooo helpful aren't I?)
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
lol I don't even have 500 items on my kindle : ) (I'm soooo helpful aren't I?)
I have close to 4000 books in my lMYK if I include all my library borrows, but on my device I am only down to about 250-300.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Wow 4000! Even if you can read one book a day on average, that is 11 years worth of books. And a collection with 999 items seems like it would be difficult to find anything within it. I wish we could have sub-collections to further divide them, but Amazon cannot even get one level collections to work right. A newer, powerful tablet might be better utilizing large libraries of 4000+ books, but I cannot imagine trying to deal with that many books on an eInk reader.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I would say that if you have that many books in one collection, you might as well not have collections at all. It would be hard to navigate.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
yeah it'd be a tad quicker in searches but other than that...
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Wow 4000! Even if you can read one book a day on average, that is 11 years worth of books. And a collection with 999 items seems like it would be difficult to find anything within it. I wish we could have sub-collections to further divide them, but Amazon cannot even get one level collections to work right. A newer, powerful tablet might be better utilizing large libraries of 4000+ books, but I cannot imagine trying to deal with that many books on an eInk reader.
I do, this is my Amazon non-free purchases. Which I use to determine where I purchased the book. I use my genre and series collections for navigating.

Oh and it would never get to that size if not for Amazon showing everything in the collection whether it is on the device or not.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I do, this is my Amazon non-free purchases. Which I use to determine where I purchased the book. I use my genre and series collections for navigating.

Oh and it would never get to that size if not for Amazon showing everything in the collection whether it is on the device or not.
That would explain it, I was wondering how you managed to get a 999-item collection with spares left over on the PW's itty-bitty memory!

Well, if you break the rules, you can't really expect anything else, but in this case, I'd have to say Amazon needs to get their rear into action. This is certainly the most ... interesting ... example of Cloud Collections messing things up.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That would explain it, I was wondering how you managed to get a 999-item collection with spares left over on the PW's itty-bitty memory!

Well, if you break the rules, you can't really expect anything else, but in this case, I'd have to say Amazon needs to get their rear into action. This is certainly the most ... interesting ... example of Cloud Collections messing things up.

I know right! Good thing I separated my freebies from my paids or it would be close to 2500. Now I have to use Calibre to put them all on there so I can separate the paids into two categories, with the first stopping at 999. Ugh just when I was able to reduce my collections down.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Yet that makes more sense. I was thinking 4000 books on the PW2. Probably not possible to get that many on it and still have it function! I do wish Amazon would add sub-collections to make finding things easier though.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yet that makes more sense. I was thinking 4000 books on the PW2. Probably not possible to get that many on it and still have it function! I do wish Amazon would add sub-collections to make finding things easier though.
I find this new hiding of collections works almost as well as sub-genres would. I have narrowed my collections down from 16 pages to 5. I am going to narrow it down some more, as I get better acquainted with the upgrade. It is looking like I could probably get it down to 2 or 3 pages. A lot of the collections I have are for organization not navigating.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Four of my nine Collections were duplicated in the upgrade. Thus, you may not really have 999 Collections. You may have to go through all of them and eliminate the duplicates.

That was the only bug I found in the PW 2012 upgrade.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Four of my nine Collections were duplicated in the upgrade. Thus, you may not really have 999 Collections. You may have to go through all of them and eliminate the duplicates.

That was the only bug I found in the PW 2012 upgrade.
Uh I think you missed the point of the original question, I do not have 999 collections, I have one collection that will not accept more than 999 books.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Uh I think you missed the point of the original question, I do not have 999 collections, I have one collection that will not accept more than 999 books.
I'd suggest asking Amazon, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were to be such a limit on the number of items in a collection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd suggest asking Amazon, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were to be such a limit on the number of items in a collection.
Thanks that was my next step but I wanted to check to see if it was a quirk of my device.