Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #16
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch/Aura, Asus Transformer TF300, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Oh absolutely! The non-HD Aura is wonderful. Small and light, good lighting, and that edge-to-edge screen is really nice. It's sweet! I love the large screen of the Aura HD but seldom take it out of my bedroom. It's pretty big! Whereas I will take the Aura anywhere.
hmm okay great, I'll check it out. It's on sale for a the next few weeks, and the price is fixed everywhere, so it's not like I'll miss out.

BTW, "booklover" eh? Are you on goodreads?
barney_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes I am on Goodreads! booklover6 is my name on there. goodreads.com/booklover6 might get you to me, not sure.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #18
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Yes I am on Goodreads! booklover6 is my name on there. goodreads.com/booklover6 might get you to me, not sure.
ok added you!
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
barney_rebel
Book lover

This video has been pretty informative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJxDs0565oc
Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #20
barney_rebel
Book lover

ok, finally caved in and bought it! I'll report back after a few books how I feel.
Advert
Old 07-20-2014, 07:42 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Great, hope you love it!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #22
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
Great, hope you love it!
So far, I like how responsive the page turns are. Even the keyboard typing seems faster.

I was really hesitant on paying $40 for the sleep cover, but so far it seems like a good purchase. Nice fit, and the sleep/awake feature seems really nice.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #23
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The differences between the Glo and the 6" Aura are not that huge.

The 6" Aura has a slightly improved screen but it is not the latest technology e-ink Carta (as found in Amazon PaperWhite 2 and Tolino Vision) in practice you probably won't noticed the difference.

I can also say that the light reflection of 6" Aura is slightly higher when compared with the Glo. But yet again, in pratice you probably won't noticed the difference.

The 6" Aura is a bit faster/more responsive than the Glo. But when you're a regular user you probably won't notice this at all.
In a direct, side-by-side comparison however, you can actually notice this difference (and maybe others too).
If you compare the 6" Aura with the latest non-Kobo ereaders (direct, side-by-side) you can actually notice that the Kobo is relatively slower than most of these ereaders. But I repeat: when you're a regular user you probably won't notice this at all.

So the question is do you want a ereader that looks like a tablet? Or, do you like the 6" Aura design? If you do, buy a 6" Aura otherwise buy a Glo.

I bought a Glo as a replacement for my broken Touch. My first Glo had a few gray areas at the bottom of the screen (about 1-1.5 cm in size). So I asked for a replacement unit.
The second unit had an 'uneven' light distribution. 3/4 of the screen was 'white' (as it should be) but the top 1/4 had yellowish light. But had no gray areas at the bottom of the screen. So I asked again for a replacement unit
The third unit was as it should have been in the first place: even light distribution and no gray spots on the screen.

If you buy a reader (Kobo or non-Kobo) that has build-in light feature then look carefully if the light distribution is even across the screen and contains no gray or darker spots. This is probably key to become a happy user of such a device.

Note: I did not order the device directly from Kobo.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
It's the seemingly little things that can make a big difference in everyday reading. The lower minimum light setting on the Aura makes a big difference for me, and the two-finger brightness swipe is great (can be hacked to work on the Glo, but it's nice to have a native version that won't break with upgrades).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It's the seemingly little things that can make a big difference in everyday reading. The lower minimum light setting on the Aura makes a big difference for me, and the two-finger brightness swipe is great (can be hacked to work on the Glo, but it's nice to have a native version that won't break with upgrades).
The problem was, The Glo is $139, while the Aura is $109.. that fact alone was the selling point.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #26
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rebel View Post
The problem was, The Glo is $139, while the Aura is $109.. that fact alone was the selling point.
Yep, price is king. Price succeeds (almost) all. In this case it is a no brainer.

I wrongly assumed that the Aura was more expensive than the Glo.

Another reason to discontinue the Glo and introduce a new reader that positioned between the Aura 6" and Aura HD. Or it is time to replace the Aura HD for a updated/upgraded model.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #27
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Aura was more expensive than the Glo, it's just that Kbbo have discounted the price of the Aura.... I'm guessing because they are planning on releasing a newer model of the Aura sometime this year. And when they do, you will see the difference between the Glo and the Aura being far more pronounced (it'll have the Carta e-ink tech and I'm certain the screen/light combination will be further improved). Your point about only really noticing these things when comparing side-by-side will probably still stand, to a point. I bet there will still be people happy enough with their Glo's even when a newer Kobo is released.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #28
barney_rebel
Book lover

Well according to the other thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=136

There's what the new Aura may look like...
Old 07-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #29
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
One difference you didn't mention is that the Glo uses infrared for the touch system, and the Aura uses capacitive. For someone like me, that's a huge difference. My skin just doesn't work well with capacitive screens (you should see me trying to press an elevator button that uses it). And I read outside a lot just about year round, which would require special gloves just to turn the pages.

Yeah, not going to happen for me. I'm going to pick up a 2nd Glo soon for when the current one I have dies.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #30
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
One difference you didn't mention is that the Glo uses infrared for the touch system, and the Aura uses capacitive. For someone like me, that's a huge difference. My skin just doesn't work well with capacitive screens (you should see me trying to press an elevator button that uses it). And I read outside a lot just about year round, which would require special gloves just to turn the pages.

Yeah, not going to happen for me. I'm going to pick up a 2nd Glo soon for when the current one I have dies.
I don't know if it was just my model, but I found my Touch turned pages with the wind, just like a real book. I found that pretty annoying...