Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
canezila
Edge User

i love my edge...but next device will not be a 'droid...or mac...or winmo

http://www.pcworld.com/article/21523...nese_site.html

Though most likely BS...or vaperware? My next device must be able to allow for music notation. There is great open source notation app that ubuntu runs. So if they evey release tge hardware and get it supported it might be too enticing to pass.

In other words... I have given up hope the android devs will write for music notation needs. Their original focus is small screen phones...not large screen notation.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
canezila
Edge User

http://musescore.org/

Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
gecko
Edge User

Getting Ubuntu on some sort of tablet shouldn't be a problem in the long run, but the musescore program doesn't look ready for prime time to me - in the first example on that page, the spacing of the two eighth notes after the bar line is wrong; the appogiatura knocks them out of place; also the treble e" and bass d' should align, but they don't. Also, the slur from the appogiatura to the e" is not the right shape; the older versions of Finale also had this problem. (Also, there's supposed to be an appogiatura on d" going down to that last c"-sharp, but that's not the fault of the program).

Finale and Sibelius, as expensive and clumsy as they are (Sibelius is a lot less clumsy) get these things right.

This bit of persnickity nit-picking brought to you by Dr. Gecko, Ph.D.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
canezila
Edge User

I would be happy with just an attempt at notation on android. I have used Finale since '97 when in college and have a bunch of updated versions throughout the years. My musescore experience is minimal but the idea is positive. If ubuntu ever did work... getting Rosegarden and fluidsynth dssi abd jack runnibg would be my ideal tablet.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
gecko
Edge User

Is MusicTex still around? Was a pain to type but produced nice output. You'd need a TeX compiler, of course.

Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
canezila
Edge User

I think I read that it was.. but I could not get a hold of the apk. It would, could, maybe be the way to go. I wonder if I pony up $200 for a dev to make a music notation app... would that work? Would it just be a supply and demand necessity to get it rolling?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
canezila
Edge User

Does anyone know if ROBOT is still around? He had a ton of talent.... and I would rather deal with someone that had an eDGe.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
fgruber
Edge User

Have you tried
http://android-apps.com/applications...tabdroid-lite/
Quote:
Originally Posted by canezila View Post
I would be happy with just an attempt at notation on android. I have used Finale since '97 when in college and have a bunch of updated versions throughout the years. My musescore experience is minimal but the idea is positive. If ubuntu ever did work... getting Rosegarden and fluidsynth dssi abd jack runnibg would be my ideal tablet.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
canezila
Edge User

That is something I will try as soon as I get home and can search for it. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
sarah11918
Edge User

I know you want it for music notation, but a linux tablet could run Xournal or Jarnal and while not e-ink, could provide a very good handwriting experience. It's intriguing.