Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: iLiad v2, Sony PRS-T1, Kindle Voyage
T1, Tuff-luv cover and e-Luminator

I decided I could start a new thread, might be easier for people looking for the information in the future.
I received the e-Luminator today, and I must say it's very pretty. Light, discreet, and really flexible.
I searched around for a few days before deciding on the e-Luminator. I didn't want something that would clip to the T1, or something with the button batteries that cost an arm where I live. Since I've a full box of AAA batteries lying around, it was my battery of choice. Needless to say, I'd have prefered a rechargeable battery, even though there are some inconvenients : it's easy to replace an AAA battery if you are on a trip, for example, whereas you don't necessarily have a power socket or a computer to charge it via USB.
Anyway, back to the e-Luminator.
I had already bought my case, I chose the Tuff-Luv hemp desert sand case, because it's classy, eco-friendly and has very good reviews everywhere. Otherwise, I would have bought the Sony case with the light, but I bought the black one for my boyfriend and didn't want to have the same case. I didn't really like the red one and the white one seemed like the kind that would be grey in a few days.
My worry was : will the e-Luminator fit the Tuff-Luv case? Since it's not a M-edge case, it was not designed to fit this special light.
Thanks to some people on the forum, I figured out it would do the trick and ordered it on Amazon.
I like it a lot. It has three different levels of brightness, number one is enough for me since I always keep my computer at the lowest brightness setting, but I guess people will like number 2 and 3 better.
On the pictures, it looks like there is a horrible reflection on the screen. It's not that horrible at all. In fact, since the light is flexible, you can move it so that you're comfortable.
I found out I can leave it in place and simply put it away when you don't use it. I'll do that, otherwise it will be lost in no time in my totally not small-things-lying-around-friendly flat.
I also took a few pictures of the case. I fold the front back when I use the T1, and this is very comfortable. No stiffness whatsoever.
Sorry, my pictures are a bit yellow, but it's night here, and my wall lamp gives this color to everything. I'll put a photo of the case in daylight, so that you can see it's really nice.

Open. You can see it's a perfect fit:

The front folded back:

This is to show it works well in landscape mode too (I didn't bother changing the text direction):

The case and the e-Luminator:

Inserting the e-Luminator between the back of the T1 and the case:

Insertion complete:

Light is on. Like I said earlier, it's nowhere as shiny in reality:

Night time! Again, not that shiny, and more diffuse in reality:

This is the lowest brightness level:

Second brightness level:

Brightest:

Sorry, in the picture, the difference is not big. In reality, you can clearly see it.

Back to my ugly yellow light. Here, you can put it out of the way when you don't use it:

If you prefer, you can put the e-Luminator on the bottom of the PRS-T1. Might be an option to get less reflection on the screen, I'll have to try it and choose what I prefer. Anyway, just to show you the possibility exists:

Here, you can put it on the front flap, like if you want to put it on a table and have a light not so close to the screen (but don't close the case leaving it like that, it might damage your screen):

Finally, if you want, you can put it on the right side instead of the left side, that way you can leave it hanging on the left side. Might be good if you're left-handed (I guess. I'm right-handed, I keep the T1 in my left hand and turn the pages with the right one):

So, daylight pictures of the Tuff-Luv case:

And that's on the top of the case. You can put the e-Luminator either on the right or on the left side of the piece of PU that prevent the T1 from falling out of the case if you hold it upside-down:

That's a daylight picture of the Tuff-Luv Hemp desert sand case. I put it on some white papers, so that you can have a pretty realistic idea of the case color:

Same, but on this inside:

The back. What I like on this case is that the press button on the flap is on the back side. That way, it will never put pressure on the screen:

And last one from the side, with the e-Luminator in place:

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my choice. Maybe the thing will break in the next few days and I won't be happy anymore (pretty pissed off is the word), but I look forward to taking my P1 to bed in a few hours and continue reading my book (Catching fire, by Suzanne Collins, but I'm pretty sure you guessed that much ^^).
And for those who might wonder about the business card on the left side of the case, that's my website with my free online novel on it. But it's in French, so I guess it's not that interesting... Althought I intend to translate it in English soon, if I can gather the courage to do it ^^

Don't hesitate to ask questions

Last edited by Vanessa; 08-26-2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: New daylight pictures
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's really nice, Vanessa! I am glad you like your new T1 and the case and light. Thanks for sharing the photos!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Vanessa
French newbie
Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.Vanessa is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Waooo, when did I get all these karma points? So cool, I feel like a star thanks!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Very nice. You did a great job of showing us how it looks & works. Thanks for taking the time to do so.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
It looks really great at the top. I am so glad it works well and you like the light.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Vanessa
French newbie

Yeah, it was a great piece of advice! Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Certainly puts my Sony lighted Cover to shame I still can't believe I paid nearly £50 for that, did learn one lesson though it's last time I ever buy something online without seeing it in person first.

Very nice setup wish I'd went that kind of route myself.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Vanessa
French newbie

I bought the Sony lighted cover for my boyfriend, haven't opened the package yet, but I'll finally see it on Monday (it's his birthday, he'll get the T1 and the case).
I'm pretty sure the Sony case is very nice too
I can post pictures of both of them next week
Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #9
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I've got a different case (but similar design) for the T1 and an eluminator. What I've done with mine is to slice the leather carefully on the top right hand-side of the case to allow the eluminator to be slid in (I punched a small hole a the top of each end of the cut to stop 'creep'). Not got a picture of it, but it works great and feels 'right' to have the light to the side.

Thanks for taking the time to post your informative thread and pictures.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
After reading this thread I have ordered the eluminator as well. I needed a decent light and this seems to fit the bill.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
It's a very good light. I have the Sony cover with the light, but I don't like the fact that it can't be sealed closed.

I managed to drop my reader twice while I had the Sony cover, I was lucky that no damage was done.

So I bought another M-Edge Latitude case and got the light for free when they had a special offer. The padding of the case makes me feel more secure.

I just wish that the light could be zipped up inside the case when not in use.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
Vanessa
French newbie

feenix1363, that's a cool solution! I wouldn't have thought about that.

I'll discover the sony cover with light tonight, since it's my BF's birthday and I'm offering him the PRS-T1 + the cover (but I didn't want to take it out of the box to test it and take pictures. I might borrow it soon and do pictures comparison, and especially in the dark to see which light is the best).
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Vanessa
French newbie

So, finally, my boyfriend had his birthday and opened his gifts
The sony case is really nice, and the light is nice too, but I don't regret having bought the tuff-luv + eluminator, since this combination is much more feminine than the black leather sony case.

A few pictures:

Side by side:

In the dark. The reflection appears a bit more agressive with the eluminator, the light seems to be stronger, and it is, if you use the brightest setting. I like the least bright one, so I'm happy with it, the Sony is nice but a bit too bright for me.

Anyway, the boyfriend was very happy with the case (and the reader, of course) and he liked the fact that it was very classy. He also thinks the tuff-luv one is better for me since it's typically my style

Side by side, covers closed:

Same, but back view:

I would say the tuff-luv one with the e-luminator is slightly heavier than the sony case with light, but it's not really obvious, so I guess both are still pretty light and the weight is not really disturbing for either of them.

I also did a few pictures of the sony case, if somebody is interested, I can post them.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
Vanessa
French newbie

Just an update after a few times using the e-luminator. I love the light! It's exactly what I was looking for. As I'm very light sensitive, I always use it on the lowest light setting. It is still a bit much for me, but I'm a special case I'm pretty sure everyone will be satisfied with the 3 possible brightness levels.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
I still think my $4 case is better, I even cut off the cover to reduce the thickness.

Untitled by 日本光学, on Flickr

Last edited by FinancialWar; 09-12-2012 at 10:28 AM.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-luminator, tuff-luv