Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Regarding programming issues there are times when things look easy to people when asking for an enhancement that I know will be difficult to implement. At the same time I am often asked to do something believed to be enormously difficult that I know can be done in a few minutes or in a few hours.

Having said the above it appears to me the folder issue is either laziness or the developers don't use the product they are developing, a common criticism for many different gadgets. "If they used the thing they would have done x." I could be off base because I am not familiar with the other readers but one could assume the folder concept is already part of the OS used by the other readers. I have read for example that Kindle creates its own folders. If the file/folder concept is part of the OS then utilizing the directory/file API sounds easy to me.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In the case of MobiPocket, what is holding folder support back is that Windows MobiPocket Reader does not "do" folders. All the files it lists are from a single directory (usually My Documents\My eBooks\Mobipocket). If you open (import) an ebook from a different directory, the very first thing that Windows MR does is copy it into the Mobipocket folder.

So, if you want Windows MR to manage your ebook device it can't use folders. This is an issue already on the iLiad, where the Books/Mobipocket folder has to be treated differently to all other folders in order to allow Windows MR to sync ebooks in this folder. Since the iLiad uses its "contentlister" for file navigation, you can use folders with ebooks on the iLiad - but only by avoiding Windows MR ebook synchronization.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #18
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook support folders with directories and subdirectories the same as on your PC.
I usually copy all folders from my PC to 2GB SD card and after it jetBook recognize it automatically
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote