Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #16
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
UPDATE:
I got a Sony PSP cable (with both mini-USB and the round AC charging connectors) and it works perfectly. Charges both from a mains USB adaptor and from the car adaptor.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Now it's only my mobile phone that doesn't behave with my mains adaptor and car charger...
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #17
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
When I got my Sony I went on a quest for a USB charger to reduce the weight of my baggage when traveling. I bought quite a few different models. In fact, I tried every model a PSP store had on offer! None would charge my e-book reader.

The only thing that worked was going in to the reader via the round power port. They might have been USB on one end of the line going into the AC mains power point, but the other end had to enter the reader through the round port, not the USB port.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 04:00 AM   #18
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
When I got my Sony I went on a quest for a USB charger to reduce the weight of my baggage when traveling. I bought quite a few different models. In fact, I tried every model a PSP store had on offer! None would charge my e-book reader.

The only thing that worked was going in to the reader via the round power port. They might have been USB on one end of the line going into the AC mains power point, but the other end had to enter the reader through the round port, not the USB port.

Stitchawl
Yeah, that's what I found too. My new cable has both the standard mini-USB for syncing to the PC and the round yellow AC connection for charging from any non-PC based USB socket.

With such a strange setup, it's odd that Sony didn't include such a cable in the first place.

I still have no idea WHY they designed it to not charge from a non-PC based USB port (e.g. mains adaptor/car adaptor) into the mini-USB when it charges perfectly from a PC (even a PC that doesn't have the software/drivers installed).
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #19
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
I still have no idea WHY they designed it to not charge from a non-PC based USB port (e.g. mains adaptor/car adaptor) into the mini-USB when it charges perfectly from a PC (even a PC that doesn't have the software/drivers installed).
I think that it's down to a particulalry strict interpretation of the USB spec, which can be read to require that there should be a valid communication/negotiation between client & master/hub before current is drawn, in order to ensure that the device doesn't attempt to draw too much current & damage the master/hub. As the adapters don't support this part of the USB spec & just provide the power, the Sony devices don't draw any current. I've posted links to the specs elsewhere here, if anyone wants to dig deeper!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
[SNIP]

Someone explained the inner workings of USB cable circuits to me when I was doing my research. There is a whole lot going on inside the cables. It's not just a hollow tube with little electrons flowing through. Lots of 'go,' 'no go,' 'stops,' etc. to put it into human language. I understood it when I read it, but I can't explain it at all. I still can't explain where the light goes when you turn off the switch!

The end result, for me at least, was choosing the smallest, lightest weight AC mains charger with the little yellow round plug. I really wanted one cord for all my electric devices, but I guess that's just not in on the program this year.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
Delizar
Delizar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Car Stereo Works as a charger

Thought I would throw this into the pot.
I just installed a JVC Stereo in my car. It has a USB port on thr front face for playing and charging an Ipod or playing from a USB Drive. Well I figured what the heck and plugged my 700 into it. It scanned the book and started playing the 1 of the 2 songs that came with the reader and happily the charging function worked.
Delizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #22
warriorscot
Enthusiast
warriorscot began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Just got a cheap PSP charger and it works fine, good for reading from the device while charging it at night and not having to worry aout the LED running down the battery. Cost less than a fiver to get one off amazon and it arrived next day by royal mail.
warriorscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #23
worand
worand began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
A cable with PSP tip and mini USB at one end and usb at the other came with my prs-700 bought in Canada.

The USB part doesn't charge the unit from a USB mains adapter but does fine from the PSP tip.
worand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #24
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I can't use the same AC - USB cable that charges my telephone in trying to charge the battery in my previous 505 and now my 700. I've always had to plug it into the USB port on my computer.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote