Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Of the SF/Fantasy genre, which genre do you read?
Science Fiction(SF) 53 24.54%
Fantasy 21 9.72%
Both 142 65.74%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #61
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely. Mr. Weber openly admits that it's no coincidence that "Honor Harrington" and "Horatio Hornblower" share the same initials.
Yep. Honor's career parallels both the fictional Horatio Hornblower and the real Admiral Lord Nelson.

IIRC, Honor was originally planned to die heroically in battle, ala Nelson. That seems to have been postponed, at least, possibly because plans are fairly well advanced for an Honor Harrington TV series. The last I heard, it was at the point of lining up financing, because there was significant interest, and there have been interminable threads elsewhere on who should be cast for various roles. The one certainty is that Angelina Jolie would not be approached to play Harrington.

I can see why people would like it, though: we saw "Sky Captain and the World of Tommoow", and my SO took one look at the Jolie character and said "As I live and breath! Honor Harrington!"
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #62
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
These days, there's less perceived need, unless the explanation ties into other things as well. An example of the latter is the "impeller wedge" used by David Weber as the technology for FTL travel in the Honor Harrington books. Weber is retelling the Napoleonic Wars in space, and his starships are the equivalent of the old three masted ships of the line. He uses his FTL method to let him do things like having ships of the line drawn up stationary relative to each other in a "wall of battle", whaling away with lasers, grasers, and missiles in best Napoleonic War fashion.
David Weber moved away from the Napoleonic template in his HH series many books ago, and now he is both starting the complete upheaval of the established order in his Universe and introducing both new weapon systems that are making the wall of battle less relevant, and new ftl travel that we have no clue for now what's going to do - the missile pods and Apollo on the good guys side and the new Spider Drive on the *real* bad guys side
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #63
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
David Weber moved away from the Napoleonic template in his HH series many books ago, and now he is both starting the complete upheaval of the established order in his Universe and introducing both new weapon systems that are making the wall of battle less relevant, and new ftl travel that we have no clue for now what's going to do - the missile pods and Apollo on the good guys side and the new Spider Drive on the *real* bad guys side
I'm aware. But he did start with that template, and manipulated his physics in support of it.

The wall of battle started becoming irrelevant with the introduction of missile pods, Ghost Rider technology, and carrier-borne LACs.

I once asked Weber whether treecat communication was relativistic, and what the maximum range of two cats paired with humans (like, say, Nimitz and Samantha) might be. The answer to both was Weber's "I know but I'm not telling because I plan to address that down the road" Tum-te-tum-te-tum, which told me what I wanted to know.

The fundamental issue underlying most of the problems in the Honorverse is communications lag over interstellar distances, and if you can address that...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Steve and others...

I think its funny about how you say that SF tech has to be possible/credible. How do you know. I bet there are a lot of things that we can do today that 200 years ago people would have said was not possible.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #65
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
I
I once asked Weber whether treecat communication was relativistic, and what the maximum range of two cats paired with humans (like, say, Nimitz and Samantha) might be. The answer to both was Weber's "I know but I'm not telling because I plan to address that down the road" Tum-te-tum-te-tum, which told me what I wanted to know.
Interesting

Anyway with so many people parsing all of Mr. Weber's pronouncements - and he is so kind to answer a lot of questions if they do not impinge on Tum-te-tum - the Honorverse universe feels very *real* in a way that many others do not and that I think is an important reason why the books sell so well after 18 volumes - 14 novels , 4 ss collections - and counting and people beg for them even as drafts
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #66
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Steve and others...

I think its funny about how you say that SF tech has to be possible/credible. How do you know. I bet there are a lot of things that we can do today that 200 years ago people would have said was not possible.
How do you know?

You read... you study... and you guess. You try to postulate, to the best of your ability, what science is capable of, and go with that (or ignore it and create handwavium).

Some writers are better than others at guessing at credible scientific advancements. Some don't even try, they just write what feels right to them, credible or not. In terms of entertainment, though, it's really not important. It's only important to the writer's and reader's personal sensibilities.

Sometimes, credibility just comes down to how well you describe your handwavium to your audience... if they buy the explanation, your science is "credible" to them. I've given explanations of FTL in 2 books, and they might be credible to the audience who reads them... but they only need to be credible enough to allow the reader to accept it long enough to enjoy the story.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #67
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I clicked the 'Fantasy' tab because, of the two, that's the one I read most. But I do read some SF as well - Greg Bear, Peter Hamilton, Asimov and others. I'm never quite sure why the two are lumped into one genre, because to me they are completely different. As someone else said above, SF is the art of the possible, or even probable, but fantasy is exactly that!

I can't say I have a favourite fantasy author, since my favourite book is usually the last one I read! But I loved the Robin Hobb Farseer series (but not the Soldier Son Trilogy), also Guy Gavriel Kay (Fionavar Tapestry & Ysabel), Raymond Feist, K J Parker, L E Modesitt (Corean Chronicles) and heaps of others!

I'm just about to start Game of Thrones, 1st in the Song of Fire and Ice series by George Martin. I haven't read any of his stuff yet so wish me luck!!

dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #68
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I'm aware. But he did start with that template, and manipulated his physics in support of it.

The wall of battle started becoming irrelevant with the introduction of missile pods, Ghost Rider technology, and carrier-borne LACs.

The fundamental issue underlying most of the problems in the Honorverse is communications lag over interstellar distances, and if you can address that...
______
Dennis
Meh! Please don't do that, I just started on the Honorverse series! I haven't gotten through "On Basilisk Station" yet

And yes, my e-Reader has introduced too stuff I had no idea was out there, i.e. the Baen books
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #69
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
God, I miss Martin's Wild Cards series. Now there was a series that strained the definitions of SF and fantasy... which is why they called it "pulp," lit-speak for "we couldn't care less how credible it is... but it's so cool!"

Still waiting for the latest book to become an e-book...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #70
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
God, I miss Martin's Wild Cards series. Now there was a series that strained the definitions of SF and fantasy... which is why they called it "pulp," lit-speak for "we couldn't care less how credible it is... but it's so cool!"

Still waiting for the latest book to become an e-book...
I've just looked this up on Amazon.co.uk. Did Martin write any of them or was he just the editor? How many were there? Amazon seem to go up to 3......
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #71
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
I've just looked this up on Amazon.co.uk. Did Martin write any of them or was he just the editor? How many were there? Amazon seem to go up to 3......
Mostly edited by Mr. Martin, there were 12 books in the series:

Wikipedia - Wild_Cards
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #72
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
"Loosely tie"?

Let's see: Discworld is a flat disk, supported on the back of giant elephants, who are standing on the shell of great A'Tuan, a giant turtle swimming through the see of space. It has magic, wizards, barbarians, various non-human inhabitants like the Nac Mac Feegle...

If Discworld isn't straight up fantasy, I'd have a hard time saying what is.
______
Dennis
But they are on the verge of splitting the thaum.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #73
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Yes, I think the Quest is the dominant form. Fortunately, it's not the only one.
It's the reason I used to think I'd given up on fantasy, though. For a while I was actively avoiding fantasy, reading SF only, because it seemed like every new fantasy book was part of a long series with yet another quest.

More recently, I've found that I'm actually reading more fantasy than SF, but it's usually either contemporary/urban fantasy, or has a really strong worldbuilding element, or has excellent characterization. Charles de Lint is an example of the first category; contemporary/urban fantasy. Patricia Briggs (Mercedes books) might be another, though she's a little heavy on the romance for my tastes. Garth Nix would be an example of strong worldbuilding (although the Old Kingdom books are arguably SF as much as fantasy....) For strong characterization, I'd point to Tamora Pierce, in particular the "Protector of the Small" series, which I have re-read and enjoyed many times despite the world being a medieval fantasy (at least without elves, orcs, and dwarves) and the plot being based around a military organization.

Quote:
I personally agree: If it isn't credible, it shouldn't be part of an SF story. Of course, that just means that if you use it anyway (as I did in Berserker and Sol, for instance) that you just consider it "soft" SF, which is generally defined as SF with additional non-credible elements tied in... like Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.
I always thought of "soft SF" as being a story with credible science, but a story more focused on social sciences, rather than physical sciences. Stories like Star Wars get the tag "Science Fantasy" in my internal system, though I think "Space Fantasy" might be even better.

I'd say that regardless of whether a story is supposed to be SF or Fantasy, it will need to be credible, unless it's being written for humor or sheer adventure (e.g. "pulp" as Steve noted in another post). I think that's what Dennis is alluding to, above.

Lately, I've come to feel that SF and Fantasy really can't be easily distinguished. You can try to categorize by the types of props used, e.g. spaceships, but then you run into Melissa Scott's Five Twelfths of Heaven (the Silence Leigh series that Dennis mentioned, above). You can say if the story has technology in it, it's SF, but then you have Garth Nix's Old Kingdom stories (starting with Sabriel). Not only do the inhabitants of one region have machine guns and airplanes, but across the Wall, where those don't work, magic seems to operate via construction with symbols in a manner rather similar to computer programming, making the whole series impossible to categorize.

In fact, I'd say my favorite stories are those that can't easily be categorized.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #74
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
I think "pulp" has less to do with it straining the definitions of SF and fantasy than the lack of caring about credibility.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM   #75
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Mostly edited by Mr. Martin, there were 12 books in the series:

Wikipedia - Wild_Cards
Fictionwise has the latest one Inside Straight
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote