Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-02-2009, 02:58 AM   #16
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post

"Darkover" is another series I'm thinking about reading - but I haven't yet been able to figure out the order in which they should be read. Every site I visit puts the books in different order, and not always the same books. It seems there is no agreement on what belongs to the series. I've read two random tomes in the past, but forgot what they were about since then - only that they didn't seem to be connected in any way.
Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote the Darkover books over a long time, and jumped around in the timeline of the world. Her writing skills and style changed a bit as time wore on, and in fact, she re-wrote several stories - at least one case has both versions still available, at least in used form.

I would recommend reading them in publication date order, so that you get the stories in the order she wrote them. Also, be aware there are several books that were written by co-authors from outlines and/or notes from Bradley - they may be more or less to your taste since the actual writing was done by another author.

As another example, I would recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's 5 Gods series - Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and The Hallowed Hunt. Each gives a bit more detail as the characters learn, and I think Lois does a better job of exploration than Marion did. And Lois's current series is The Sharing Knife, and again has the characters exploring their world and learning more about how things work.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Canton View Post
I've read the Amber books and enjoyed them quite a bit, and my sister did as well. His Dark Materials was also great, but the movie was quite a disappointment for me.
Superb books; awful movie. I saw an interview with Mr. Pullman recently in which he said that it lost so much money that movie versions of the 2nd and 3rd books will almost certainly not happen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #18
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
"Darkover" is another series I'm thinking about reading - but I haven't yet been able to figure out the order in which they should be read. Every site I visit puts the books in different order, and not always the same books. It seems there is no agreement on what belongs to the series. I've read two random tomes in the past, but forgot what they were about since then - only that they didn't seem to be connected in any way.
Aye, there are really 5 time periods and which time period you read first doesn't matter in the reader's understanding (in my opinion) as long as the ones in a particular time period are read in order. This is how I'd group them.

http://darkover.apiacoa.org/encyclop...chrono.en.html
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #19
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I can third or fourth the recommendation for Darkover in whatever sequence you wish to read it. The only thing really important is to read direct sequels and trilogies in order. Otherwise, Marion did quite a good job in making sure to include the necessary backstories (often in the way of legends or myths being recalled to a new character) and re-explaining technologies in each book.

As Darqref mentioned, Darkover novels have been written by others. I haven't read any of the 'Friends of Darkover' collections myself so I can't comment on them.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One book that I've never read (yet) but really enjoyed the animated movie version is The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. The movie is full of understanding and it's quite enjoyable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #21
tali3sin
Connoisseur
tali3sin began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
Quote:
I'm looking for more fantasy, or science fiction books that are such tales, that gradually reveal more and more information about the workings of the world and so make the initially strange events of first chapters/volumes plain, simple and understandable.
If I were you, I would jump straight into Julian May's Galactic Milieu Series, then dive from that into the Pliocene Exile Saga, and come around full-circle to the beginning with Intervention. Or, read Intervention first, and go to GMS.
They sound to me very similar to what you're looking for.

Also, China Mieville, with Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and Iron Council.
The latter two I have read, and were utterly bewildering at first. Taking place in an unsettling world, where the rules are explained very gradually through-out the course of each book.
Things in the beginning make no sense, only to become clear later, through the dialogue or description of a character/etc.

Great books
tali3sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The Darkover books are wonderful and must-reads for any fan of SF or Fantasy.

I'll recommend Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, which I finished reading yesterday. My records show that I got it from Amazon.com for free, and I'm pretty sure that TOR gave it away for free during their "Watch the Skies" promotion last year. I have purchased the other two books in the trilogy and will get around to reading them soon.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #23
giddion
Connoisseur
giddion doesn't littergiddion doesn't litter

Device: samsung i910 now - cybook later
2 books series come to my mind.

The first series is by my favorite Author, Lawrence Watt-Evans http://www.ethshar.com/ though I don't know if series really fits. He writes these books as separate, stand alone books that happen to take place on the same world. Characters don't have a direct relation to each other and it's rare that they meet but actions of main characters in early books effect the characters in later books. For example characters in later books stay at a hotel built by the main character in the first book. As the time line progresses we learn more of the rules in this fantasy world. Another thing about these books, none of the characters are 'heroes' all of his main characters that are normal people trying to make the best of their lives.

The other series I'd suggest is the riftwar saga by Raymond Fiest, the original series and the empire series. There are like 4 more series that follow the original but they just don't have the quality of the originals. This is a good series that as time goes on you learn more and more of the physics but at no point are all the rules handed over to you.
giddion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #24
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
As a HUGE fan of the Chronicles of Amber, I very much recommend Neal Stephenson (titles: Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon, Quicksilver), Hal Duncan (titles: Vellum, Ink), Walter Jon Williams (titles: Hardwired, Facets, Aristoi), and Charles de Lint (titles: Widdershins, Moonheart)
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tali3sin View Post
If I were you, I would jump straight into Julian May's Galactic Milieu Series, then dive from that into the Pliocene Exile Saga, and come around full-circle to the beginning with Intervention. Or, read Intervention first, and go to GMS.
They sound to me very similar to what you're looking for.
I'd start with the PES, then Intervention and finally the GMS. I think too much gets revealed if you start with Intervention or GMS first. Besides, in GMS, there are pointers towards PES (or was that in Intervention?)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 AM   #26
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'd start with the PES, then Intervention and finally the GMS. I think too much gets revealed if you start with Intervention or GMS first. Besides, in GMS, there are pointers towards PES (or was that in Intervention?)
If I remember correctly, it's the end of Intervention that reveals a particularly huge secret, and the whole of Intervention that brings quite a few odd aspects of the tale together.

But the reason I'd start with GMS, is simply for the slow build-up to the all out fantasy of PES.
PES can stand on it's own fairly easily, but when you tie it in with the knowledge of GMS, I feel it provides more mystery, opens more questions and so on.

It's all opinion though
Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I must admit, it's been over 3 years since I've read the series, as we only unpacked the books recently (and I don't have them as ebook (yet))
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #28
tali3sin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I must admit, it's been over 3 years since I've read the series, as we only unpacked the books recently (and I don't have them as ebook (yet))
Well, I wouldn't worry too much. No matter which order, there's questions, and answers, due to the circular nature of the works

Also, my words aren't necessarily gospel, the way I remember things and the way they actually are often diverges. It's like I have the memory retention capability of a brain-chemistry altered ex-hippy, or something.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #29
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Two series by David (and Leigh) Eddings:

The first series (13 books):

The Belgariad:
Pawn of Prophesy
Queen of Sorcery
Magician's Gambit
Castle of Wizardry
Enchanter's End Game

Followed up with the second set:

The Malloreon:
Guardians of the West
King of the Murgos
Demon Lord of Karanda
Sorceress of Darshiva
Seeress of Kell

Addennums to these 10 books are:
Belgarath the Sorcerer
Polgara the Sorceress
The Rivan Codex

The second series (6 books):

The Elenium:
The Diamond Throne
The Ruby Knight
The Sapphire Rose

The Tamuli:
Domes of Fire
The Shining Ones
The Hidden City

I have read these two series many many times - I have not yet found any continuity errors in them (let me know if you find any). I have discovered that, while the first read-through is excellent, it is the second and the third that really bring justice to the books, because then you see all of the build up bits and pieces that were incorporated into even the first of the books. Lots of fun to read!

I will note that the Dreamers series is probably excellent - I have only read the first book in it though.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote