Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Touch, LG G Pad. Asus 7.0
Question How many books work are ideal on Kobo Touch?

I now have 500 books on my Kobo Touch
I now find it is very slow to browse though now and wondered if that is normal or because too full?

What do you folks do?
Do you delete what you have finished or keep all books on it?
polli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have over 2,000 books on SD Card library is slower when looking for books. Short list no effect. Page turns still fast so no effect. Even updating from power is still fast enough for me. If it wasn't easily remove SD Card and just use books loaded on device is easy. Everything I do with Kobo Touch is much faster than Kobo Wifi regardless of how many books are loaded.

If it was real problem to deal with I would load different types of books on SD Card for each category until KT has better file system. Worst case I read a book I might not normally read. I can't see this as bad or waste of time.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
polli
Zealot
polli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enoughpolli will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I have over 2,000 books on SD Card library is slower when looking for books. Short list no effect. Page turns still fast so no effect. Even updating from power is still fast enough for me. If it wasn't easily remove SD Card and just use books loaded on device is easy. Everything I do with Kobo Touch is much faster than Kobo Wifi regardless of how many books are loaded.

If it was real problem to deal with I would load different types of books on SD Card for each category until KT has better file system. Worst case I read a book I might not normally read. I can't see this as bad or waste of time.

Just was hoping it would be as fast as when I bought it in October and put a few books on it
Dont like the short list at the bottom now It clutters the screen
So do you put most of your books on a sd card then? Does that work ok? Wondered if to buy one.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Biggest advantage to have free books on sd card is they always survive updates and factory resets. It is easy to put one or all onto another computer. I use calibre to manage my books. I have versions of Linux and windows on more than one computer in different locations. 2 Kobo wifi and 1 Kobo touch. Maybe buy a different brand e reader this year but will buy a 7 inch tablet before July.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
polli
Zealot

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Biggest advantage to have free books on sd card is they always survive updates and factory resets. It is easy to put one or all onto another computer. I use calibre to manage my books. I have versions of Linux and windows on more than one computer in different locations. 2 Kobo wifi and 1 Kobo touch. Maybe buy a different brand e reader this year but will buy a 7 inch tablet before July.
Thanks
Most of my books are in Calibre now. How do I put them on a sd card?

Do I add the Calibre folder? As it has the covers etc inside each authors folder.

When I put them onto a different device or computer will Calibre recognise them?

Sorry all the questions
Advert
Old 01-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by polli View Post
Thanks
Most of my books are in Calibre now. How do I put them on a sd card?

Do I add the Calibre folder? As it has the covers etc inside each authors folder.

When I put them onto a different device or computer will Calibre recognise them?

Sorry all the questions
Yes, that will work. Alternatively with the card in the device, once you connect it to the PC and Calibre detects it, it will mount the card alongside the device so you have a choice to send books either to the device onboard memory or the card.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
polli
Zealot

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
Yes, that will work. Alternatively with the card in the device, once you connect it to the PC and Calibre detects it, it will mount the card alongside the device so you have a choice to send books either to the device onboard memory or the card.

Just can't understand still though why Kobo Touch is slower when I click to to to the Library with 500 books on now, since it supposed to hold a lot more ( tho turning book pages is fine)

Wish there was some way to view book in series order too.

Last edited by polli; 01-02-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Polli; if the books are sideloaded then, series info can easily be handled via calibre if you use it to xfer books.

You need to setup a "Metadata Plugboard" in calibre (Preferences | Metadata Plugboards).

What I use is the following:
Code:
Format: ePub
Device: Kobo
Source Template: {series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
Destination Field: title
What this does is for books WITH series data, prepend the title by an abbreviation of the series name, followed by the number of the book in the series and the title.

So for instance, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe book 2 in the series Chronicles of Narnia shows up on my Kobo as CoN - 02 - The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #9
polli
Zealot

Red face

Thank you But you might as well be talking Chinese to me sorry lol
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Polli: Many books makes Kobo slow. That's just the way it is. Load less books to make it faster. Do you really need 500 books loaded at once?
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
polli
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
Polli: Many books makes Kobo slow. That's just the way it is. Load less books to make it faster. Do you really need 500 books loaded at once?
No but since the Kobo holds a lot I thought the idea was to fill it lol But I cannot find anything

I chose a few books as favorites to read next But since the latest update they are all displayed across the bottom of the screen all the while Grrr

How many books are on your Kobo and does it slow it down when you are searching at all? It is fine when reading though
Old 01-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Polli since the last update my Kobo Touch definitely has issues when there are too many books loaded onto it.

My experience is that when I did the update I had between 200 and 300 books - my Kobo then became very slow and I experienced the "double tap" issue I described in the upgrade thread.
I did a factory reset and only loaded about 60 books and that seemed to fix the problem. The "double tap" thing disappeared and the speed in all the menus improved dramatically.
I am now back up to 250 books on my Touch and opening the menus has again become too slow. Sadly it seems with this latest upgrade that my Touch simply can not cope with more than about 100 books.
I find this very frustrating - the Touch advertises that it can hold up to 1000 books but realistically I can only use about one tenth of that storage before I have problems. I have never tried an SD card due to the number of people who complain that their cards won't work. I like to put books onto my Touch and leave them there so that I can read/reread them whenever I want. I really don't want to be continually adding and removing books from my Touch.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
polli
Zealot

Angry

Yes I thought I could store all my books on my Kobo too
Do most people not do then?

Have about 600 now and it is oh so slow to scroll through the list or search
But fine when reading.
Also hate the bottom menu now.

Have also found that when I go to the home page it opens the first book in my library now!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
I have 1000 plus books on an SD card.
I managed to get acceptable speed by deleting all Kobo image files except Library_Full.parsed, Library_Grid.parsed and Library_List.parsed. The number of image files deleted was 3,000 plus.

This led to a dramatic increase in performance and responsiveness. I have also stayed with firmware 1.9.14.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post
I have 1000 plus books on an SD card.
I managed to get acceptable speed by deleting all Kobo image files except Library_Full.parsed, Library_Grid.parsed and Library_List.parsed. The number of image files deleted was 3,000 plus.

This led to a dramatic increase in performance and responsiveness. I have also stayed with firmware 1.9.14.
My Kobo also worked fine with firmware 1.9.14 and several hundred books. It's only since the "upgrade" to 1.9.16 that it struggles with the size of my library.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote