Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Anyone listen to audiobooks while trying to go to sleep?

I have read while trying to go to sleep for years and years. I read until the words get blurry, and then shut my kindle and go to sleep.

For a brief period in my 20s, I went to sleep to the TV. I played the same movie every night, and feel asleep to it.

Now that I am getting older (the big 6-0 is creeping up), I have pretty bad insomnia. So I thought maybe listening to audiobooks would work like the TV did. I have been listening to twilight zone radio. But it doesn't seem to be working any better, although I have only tried it for a couple nights.

Anyone else fall asleep listening to audiobooks? Does one type do better than another?

Thanks,

Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Yes, I've done this. It always puts me to sleep. I end up repeating chapters because I don't know where exactly I drifted off, but that doesn't bother me. Waking up with an ear bud still in my ear can be a little annoying, but my husband is a light sleeper.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I go to sleep with podcasts where Imdont particularly care if I miss something
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
To get to sleep quickly, look for a radio infomercial about refinancing your mortgage.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post

Anyone else fall asleep listening to audiobooks? Does one type do better than another?
This is tough. Obviously a riveting read is not what the doctor ordered, because you'll stay awake for sheer interest. But something stultifying is wrong, too, because you already can't sleep and why make yourself even more miserable? And then there's the question of how important it is to retain the information you're hearing, because you don't want to have to concentrate.

So, going out on a limb here, how about poetry? The meter could be a soporific (obviously no free verse) and poems benefit from rereading, or relistening in this case. Kind of like that movie.

I've only occasionally listened to an audiobook in bed, but I recommend using a sleep timer. No harm if/when you need to restart it, but it makes finding where you left off much easier.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
In general, I'd say if I was already having trouble sleeping, it doesn't help me sleep. I end up listening to the story (as opposed to just having it "on for background noise"). On a normal night, I can definitely fall asleep with one playing, though.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I don't usually have issues falling asleep but when I do I pick an Audible title I've already listened to/read so when I fall asleep and it keeps playing a bit I don't miss anything.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
No, the earbuds would bother me too much. I usually watch some old TV sitcom instead.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I found that listening to audiobooks while going to sleep actually made insomnia worse. I pick music or other stuff that I find relaxing and play that on low. I now have a Cpap and actually found the Darth Vader affect from one of my masks really helped me sleep far better than the soundless one.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:26 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
No audiobooks for me. I prefer music or nature sounds set on a timer. The Echo works great for this.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I do not use the TV or Audio books to get to sleep. I have never had any problems going to sleep. I close my eyes and I am asleep within two minutes. I also wake up instantly. I have never been one who wakes up gradually. I go to from being asleep to being wide awake. My wife thinks I am weird.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Ah, insomnia. That is definitely one of those getting older things that we aren't warned about!!
Mine is getting worse every year. Audio books really help me. I have found that male voices work as opposed to female voices. And I have to listen to the same books over and over and over again. I have a dedicated mp3 player just for night time use. (indestructible in case I roll over on it) It is loaded with every Terry Pratchett audio book I have bought through the years. I love the books and know exactly how they will end, but still interesting enough to not let my mind start wandering and keep me awake. I've also done the first Harry Potter book.
My mom listens to talk radio. Something like Coast to Coast. She doesn't care much what they are saying as much as the voice. It lulls her to sleep again.
If I do music I find I'm staying awake waiting to see what the next song is. Three minutes isn't long enough for my mind to doze off again.
So all I can advise is find a voice you like and find all the books that person does. Don't get anything stimulating though, or it will keep you awake listening. I find narrators that sound like my math teachers in High School. I could always fall asleep in those classes!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #13
LSM
LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.LSM can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook
My go-to aid is to listen to congressional hearings on CSpan. I never watch, only listen and I set the volume a click too low so I have to strain to hear it. Before long I'm sound asleep.
LSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
My go-to aid is to listen to congressional hearings on CSpan. I never watch, only listen and I set the volume a click too low so I have to strain to hear it. Before long I'm sound asleep.
Good one! Though I might get too angry at what they are doing to be able to doze off!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Good one! Though I might get too angry at what they are doing to be able to doze off!
S
Same here!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote