Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
anus instead of arms always makes me smile. It's so common it has to be deliberate on the part of OCR program coders.
"He put his anus in the goo."

Hmm, gives a completely different perspective!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #17
TheRevolutionist
TheRevolutionist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I proofread ebooks for a publisher (yes, some of them do have people checking their scanned ebooks!). Hopefully you may have come across slightly fewer errors, amusing or otherwise, as a result

One book had a load of "d"s from "cl"s - a girl who "dung" to her dad's leg, rather than "clung". You might say the OCR came "dose, but no cigar!"

A historical novel described the Battle of Bannockbum rather than Bannockburn.

Sometimes errors get flagged that are deliberate misspellings for reasons within the story, requiring it to be noted that "Misspeelings" is deliberately ironic.
TheRevolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
anus instead of arms always makes me smile. It's so common it has to be deliberate on the part of OCR program coders.
Oh I doubt it.

Hanlon's razor. "Never ascribe to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."

Sometimes it is that simple!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
"He put his anus in the goo."
"Passionately, she put her anus around his neck, squeezed tightly, and started kissing him."

There... some romantic OCR-ed literature for you
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Alistair MacLean's The Last Frontier (HarperCollins): "... a successful liar can never afford to be unsure of his farts."
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Alistair MacLean's The Last Frontier (HarperCollins): "... a successful liar can never afford to be unsure of his farts."
Nope.
It might be his "tell".
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #22
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
So...I scanned a book...OCR'd it and got a funny OCR error.

Sentence is: "He huffed into his moustache."
After OCR: "He hurled into his moustache."

Sounds a bit gross, but it is what it is!
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #23
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
I've mentioned previously the useful google tool, Google's Ngram Viewer.

It uses scanned and OCR-ed google books, some of them quite old. Now I don't want to be too indelicate, but in virtually all of the books published in the 18th century, the "long" initial letter "s" is written in a way that makes it look like, and get OCR-ed as, a quite different consonant.

So if you try the Ngram viewer from (say) 1700 to 2000 with the two words "suck" and another similar word, you'll find an astonishing amount of profanity was being published right up to about 1810, when it vanished almost entirely, and then suddenly reappeared in the mid-twentieth century.....
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #24
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
...the "long" initial letter "s" is written in a way that makes it look like, and get OCR-ed as, a quite different consonant.
I always tend to read that as an F if I don't watch out for it, but fortunately, I only have two books old for it to be used in them.

Quote:
So if you try the Ngram viewer from (say) 1700 to 2000 with the two words "suck" and another similar word, you'll find an astonishing amount of profanity was being published right up to about 1810, when it vanished almost entirely, and then suddenly reappeared in the mid-twentieth century.....
LOL. It seems the OCR and I (me? I'll have to look that one up) think alike indeed

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-15-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:37 PM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In the Open Road (US) edition of Greg Bear's Eon one of the scientists has a device built to measure the local value of pi:
Quote:
"[...] I don't know how it works, but it does. At least, it seems to. Look." She pushed a button marked with the Greek letter pi. The luminous display read "3.41592645 stable."
However in this case the unusual value of pi is caused by an OCR error, rather than a local distortion of the space-time geometry (or whatever it is exactly that the instrument is supposed to detect.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-30-2016 at 11:01 PM. Reason: rather than a local distortion ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:24 AM   #26
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
I've mentioned previously the useful google tool, Google's Ngram Viewer.

It uses scanned and OCR-ed google books, some of them quite old. Now I don't want to be too indelicate, but in virtually all of the books published in the 18th century, the "long" initial letter "s" is written in a way that makes it look like, and get OCR-ed as, a quite different consonant.

Thanks for the reference. It's fascinating.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
For me there can be no better OCR error than Susan Anderson's Baby, I'm Yours eBook fiasco. It went viral.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/bo...susan-andersen

One of my favorite romance novels. The author was mortified but she took it with grace.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humorous ocr, ocr errors