Notices

Old 01-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #16
SeaCanary
Enthusiast
SeaCanary began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
You may have set a default bottom/top margin for <p> elsewhere ...
Not possible. See #15, above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
... or the renderer you are using may have such a hidden deffinition.
Perhaps Sigil does. What are you using?
SeaCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCanary View Post
Not possible. See #15, above.
Perhaps Sigil does. What are you using?
Devices have overrides
Sigil just uses the valid CSS (with the few known QT won't work exceptions)
Ignoring a CSS usually indicates a Link problem. Remember: everything is cAsE sensitive
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #18
SeaCanary
Enthusiast

Thumbs up BINGO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Devices have overrides
Sigil just uses the valid CSS (with the few known QT won't work exceptions)
Ignoring a CSS usually indicates a Link problem. Remember: everything is cAsE sensitive
I hadn't properly linked my test XHTML to my CSS file. I fixed that and now it works!!

Thank you, everyone!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #19
SeaCanary
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Devices have overrides ... (with the few known QT won't work exceptions)...
Is there an editor like Sigil that tests for different devices?

QT?

Last edited by SeaCanary; 02-01-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCanary View Post
Is there an editor like Sigil that tests for different devices?

QT?
QT is a commonly used, open source building block (GUI library)

Editors, EDIT
Nothing tests/shows the exact behavior except the targeted DEVICE.
Go read some of the horror stories down in the EPUB forum
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #21
SeaCanary
Enthusiast

For the record, when I did this ...
Code:
.verse {
    margin-bottom: 0.5em;
    }
.verse p {
    margin: 0;
    margin-left: 1em;
    text-indent:-1em;
    }
.chorus p {
    margin-left: 2em;
    }
... and put it on my Nook every line had a blank line after it.

I changed it to the following and the problem went away.
Code:
.verse {
    margin-bottom: 0.5em;
    }
.verse p {
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-top: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-left: 1em;
    text-indent: -1em;
    }
.chorus p {
    margin-left: 2em;
    }
Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #22
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
You found the Nook bug -- it doesn't like margin settings in the "short form". (discussed on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223586.)

I'm trying to remind myself to always use the long form, explicitly defining margin-top, margin-left, etc.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #23
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
so if I buy a nook, I could have to re-code dozens of books, where I've tweaked & used margin: ?
that's a MAJOR flaw
do all the nook range behave like that ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
that's a MAJOR flaw
Unfortunately, it seems to me all ebook readers have some major flaw or other
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 AM   #25
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

but that particular flaw looks very hard to fix via regex.

maybe appending a p {margin-bottom: value to the css, via the modify epub calibre plug in is sufficient to override what is in all single margin: lines ?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #26
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Would changing

Code:
to
Code:
 margin: 0 0 0 0;
not do the job ?

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #27
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Would returning the Nook as a broken reader help?

Seriously, without some loud complaining from the users, they'll never improve the readers (and probably not with complaining either).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #28
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Would changing

Code:
to
Code:
not do the job ?

BobC
only someone with an actual nook could answer that, & I don't plan to buy one just to find out.

anyway, if books have short margin CSS, you'd have to find all the shorthand instances, not just zero.
e.g. I've used margin:1em; for a centered header
Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I consider both of those to be a 'short form'
I think REGEX done with 4 passes should catch all (not tested)
margin\: 1em 2em 3em 4em;

F: margin:\b(.+?)\b(.+?)\b(.+?)\b(.+?)\;*
R: margin-top:\1; margin-right:\2; margin-bottom: \3; margin-left:\4;

Note: the 'short form' is not limited to margin

I like Jellby's idea. Send it back as a 'defective EPUB reader'
Old 02-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
SeaCanary
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Would changing

Code:
to
Code:
not do the job ?

BobC
I suspect it would depend on what other code is in the CSS. Give me some more of your code and maybe I can test it on my Nook.