Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs300, kindle keyboard 3g
ticket 9031

Hi Kovid and developers.

Can I remind you about ticket #9031 requested 10 months ago.

http://oldbugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/9031#comment:1

real life scenario (today).

I've set up calibre to work with dropbox.
Using wake up on standby I fetch news and save to mobi format at 4:30am for 1 hour.
Kindle 3g can browse to drop box and get free news later in the day.

Meanwhile, my prs300 is left plugged in to laptop.

When I turn the laptop on instead of an auto conversion to epub nicely sent to the sony - I have the dialog box asking if i want to auto convert.

Can we please have the radio button/tick box saying never ask again - or even in advanced prefs? (I'm guessing it's a boolean flag so not hard for you geniuses).

In this instance automation is left null and void.

Keep up the brilliant work.
scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate forum. Please read this thread before posting in the development forum
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #3
scissors
Addict
scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scissors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Moved to appropriate forum. Please read this thread before posting in the development forum
hmm. Thought that would have been development as it's a feature request.
as in
calibre code organization: where X is done in calibre

apologies
Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post
hmm. Thought that would have been development as it's a feature request.
as in calibre code organization: where X is done in calibre
Many folks might think this too that is why there is a sticky post at the top of the Development sub-forum titled "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - The purpose of this subforum."
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
scissors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Many folks might think this too that is why there is a sticky post at the top of the Development sub-forum titled "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING - The purpose of this subforum."
hands up. I read the first few lines and not the last paragraph. my bad.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissors View Post
hands up. I read the first few lines and not the last paragraph. my bad.
I didn't mean for it to sound like I was getting on you. I just inserted the plain language title of the sticky post chaley referred to for any other users that read this thread moving forward.

You might want to add a comment to the ticket asking if this is still under consideration. It seems to be assigned to John who is also currently coordinating the upgrades to Sigil so this might be on the back burner or lost amongst everything else going on.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
scissors
Addict

Quote:

You might want to add a comment to the ticket asking if this is still under consideration. It seems to be assigned to John who is also currently coordinating the upgrades to Sigil so this might be on the back burner or lost amongst everything else going on.
I was hoping mentioning it here might be enough. I'd have to register to old bugs. (which I really only use in a reading capacity as this is the first time i haven't found a query i have already fixed)
Old 12-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
scissors
Addict

I see the issue has been raised before

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121898

but was considered solved.

IMHO it's not

Last edited by scissors; 12-04-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
scissors
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I didn't mean for it to sound like I was getting on you. I just inserted the plain language title of the sticky post chaley referred to for any other users that read this thread moving forward.

Hi dwanthny,
I registered but for the life of me I can't see where you are supposed to add a comment. I get no extra options and might as well be browsing as if not logged in.

Can another developer pick it up? It doesn't seem to have been looked at since being assigned.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
No one is interested in it so no one wants to work on it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
scissors
Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
No one is interested in it so no one wants to work on it.
That's depressing (for me).
I know people have apparently complained about the auto function so that's why the user is asked, but to me it's backwards - surely if you have a mobi news file and you plug a sony in logic says you want to convert to epub automatically before sending...

Is it part of the main exe - or is it in another exe or python file?
if a module, could the earlier version (before the dialog was added) be used with the latest main exe?

Last edited by scissors; 12-05-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
scissors
Addict

Well after some search and head scratching I got a solution using the CLI.

If anyone else has the same scenario : own a kindle(with net access), own a device such as sony connected via usb. Require news download in mobi and epub and automatic send to usb device, kindle downloads via dropbox.

Set your calibre library into your dropbox folder.
Save any news recipes you want as a .recipe file (no spaces etc) example Cosmopolitan UK becomes cosmo.recipe.
Save these files in your calibre folder (where ebook-convert.exe is located).
create DOS batch file with the following (or similar) in it. I named mine mobinews.bat
Alter the destination path to your own. For daily stuff you only need the first line repeated.
The other stuff hopefully downloads wired once a week.(This code uses UK clock setting)

Spoiler:

Code:
start /wait ebook-convert Cosmo.recipe D:\Dropbox\calibre\calibre\cosmo.mobi
start /wait ebook-convert metro.recipe D:\Dropbox\calibre\calibre\metro.mobi
start /wait ebook-convert mirror.recipe D:\Dropbox\calibre\calibre\mirror.mobi

setlocal

for %%i in (01,07,14,21,28) do (

if "%date:~0,2%"=="%%i" goto Weekly
)

:NO
echo No
goto EOF

:Weekly
start /wait ebook-convert wired.recipe D:\Dropbox\calibre\calibre\wired.mobi

:EOF
endlocal

now download "wakeuponstandby" program and put that in the calibre folder.
In calibre set default output to epub.
Schedule news to download at 5:15am
Leave calibre open.
Run WUOStanby.
Set (1)PC to wake at 5:00am tomorrow (set repair network)
Set (2)program to run mobinews.bat
Set (3)WUOS to "simply wait" for 30 mins
Set (4)repeat every day (or what ever you want)
Set (5) to go.

Put your pc to sleep.

At 5:00am tomorrow pc will wake.
network will be "repaired"
the batch file should download news into mobi files.
After 15 mins main calibre program downloads news in epub format
If sony (or other) is connected via usb calibre auto sends to device.
If dropbox running in background all files synced with online folder (for kindle to fetch online)
After 30 mins pc goes back to sleep