Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Fujitsu LifeBook U810 Mini as reading device?

I ran across this today and wondered if anyone has one. Does it work as an ebook reader?
I like the swivel screen. If you have one, please write it up! Thanks!

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/images/swf/U810/#
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
I ran across this today and wondered if anyone has one. Does it work as an ebook reader?
I like the swivel screen. If you have one, please write it up! Thanks!

http://www.shopfujitsu.com/images/swf/U810/#

I don't have one but I suspect it would fairly well as a reader; after all, most of the major formats support software for reading on windows. The only exception I can think of is Kindle.. though clearly since it is little different than Mobi, it could if Amazon wanted to let you.

Of course, I am not crazy about windows, but that is my personal bias.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
I have the U810 and read on it occasionally. However, I prefer to read on my Sony reader or GEB1150. I really only use it to read mobipocket books that I check out from the Fictionwise library and the selection isn't that great to begin with...

The U810 can be held in portrait mode for reading (I'll take a picture when I get home tonight). In this mode you only have access to the mouse and touch screen. The mouse buttons are in an awkward location when holding the U810 with your left hand. You will need to use the touch screen to navigate. Luckily Microsoft has a tablet version of Microsoft reader.

Most of the time I use the U810 as a web browser or portable video player. It works quite well for that.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pictures of the Fujitsu U810

Here are some pictures of the Fujitsu U810 running adobe, Microsoft reader, and mobipocket. Also included are side by side pictures of it with the Sony PRS500 and the GEB1150.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AdobeReader.png
Views:	622
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	16930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Landscape.png
Views:	571
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	16931   Click image for larger version

Name:	MicrosoftReader.png
Views:	545
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	16932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobipocket.png
Views:	518
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	16933   Click image for larger version

Name:	u810vsGeb1150.png
Views:	583
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	16934   Click image for larger version

Name:	u810vsPrs500.png
Views:	625
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	16935  
Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Here are some pictures of the Fujitsu U810 running adobe, Microsoft reader, and mobipocket. Also included are side by side pictures of it with the Sony PRS500 and the GEB1150.

How does it do reading PDFs. I have considered one for that purpose, but feared the screen was too small.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Thanks for the pics cyan. Very nice of you to do the side by side screen shots with Ebookwise and the Sony reader. The tablet actually has more "screen real estate" than I thought it would. It's still a contender for me at least. I'm also looking at the hp Pavillion 12.1 in tablet.
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #7
cyan
Connoisseur

Reading PDF files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
How does it do reading PDFs. I have considered one for that purpose, but feared the screen was too small.
I don't read that many PDF files; but, the few I've tried were quite readable. You have the choice of reading in either landscape or portrait mode. In landscape mode, the text is quite large if you don't enable full screen mode. Adobe will try to display the full page which uses only 1/3 of the screen.

In portrait mode with adobe reader set to full screen mode (which uses the whole screen), the cursor up/down buttons (the buttons right below the mouse) acts like page up/page down buttons. This makes for comfortable reading.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 PM   #8
cyan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBookNerd View Post
Thanks for the pics cyan. Very nice of you to do the side by side screen shots with Ebookwise and the Sony reader. The tablet actually has more "screen real estate" than I thought it would. It's still a contender for me at least. I'm also looking at the hp Pavillion 12.1 in tablet.
I forgot to mention this but; if you look at the microsoft reader picture you will see that it doesn't use the full screen in portrait mode. The bottom 1/5 of the screen is black. Mobipocket and adobe reader doesn't have that problem.

Also, the keyboard is really small and hard to type on. That plus to do a <tab> you need to press the <FN>+<SPACE> keys.

Don't get me wrong, I love my U810; just don't expect to use it as your primary computer.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
I have a U810 arriving Tuesday. Plan to download Mobipocket and read ebooks.

Thanks for photos.

I will have to post my experiences with reading ebooks with it.

Also have you tried using fingerprint reader to scroll?
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #10
cyan
Connoisseur

Congrats on your purchase.

I tried using the fingerprint scanner to scroll a few time; but, quickly gave up on it. It's a bit too sensitive for me.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
fishcube
Connoisseur

Got my U810, and it had speck under screen So, am returning for refund. While I had it, I tried all the features. Was not happy with screen, as it looked hazy. Kinda like when finger prints on screen etc.

So, am now debating the Wibrain I1 which will be coming out soon. Hopefully.

With screen rotation, I think it will work well with ebooks.

I am also debating the new U820.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
cyan
Connoisseur

Sorry to hear that. I never noticed the screen being hazy. Then again, I have a screen protector on it which is quite smudged.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #13
fishcube
Connoisseur

I am leaning toward to Raon Everun Note. Mini laptop. But does everything! Small but with great keyboard and touchscreen.

I think it will work great for ebooks.