Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #1096
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@gm:

A tiny question: I know that eureka had posted a standalone u-boot fastboot binary (the one not requiring u-boot bist), but I can't find it anymore

Would somebody who knows where it can be found please post a pointer?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=728
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #1097
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Dankeschön!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #1098
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
@gm:

A tiny question: I know that eureka had posted a standalone u-boot fastboot binary (the one not requiring u-boot bist), but I can't find it anymore

Would somebody who knows where it can be found please post a pointer?
I see you found it, thanks to twobob. That link is also in the first post of the simple debricking sticky thread (third "UPDATE" paragraph), and in the index wikis. I was thinking of reposting the MfgTool custom profiles to use eureka's "fastboot inside" u-boot in place of the existing fastboot image.

We must be patient with noobs even with our extensive published resources in plain sight, when even the best of us fail to find stuff that is "hiding in plain sight" at times.

Searching the sheer quantity of useful information published here is a chore even WITH the indexes and thread prefixes and sticky threads, but BEFORE we had them it was even more difficult to find things. If anybody has suggestions for better ways to help find things here, please speak up!

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-04-2013 at 02:04 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #1099
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm... I just noticed something odd with the standalone version:

booting to fastboot, then:
fastboot setvar bootmode diags
fastboot reboot

does not work with the standalone one. The device stays in a "non-working" fastboot mode. With the "original" fastboot.bin, everything works as expected.

This is reproducible.

Any thoughts? (My guess is that the standalone version can't set the bootmode anymore, or can't properly reboot, maybe because the relevant parts have been "patched out" to save space).
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #1100
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

fastboot reboot

does not work with the standalone one. The device stays in a "non-working" fastboot mode. With the "original" fastboot.bin, everything works as expected.

This is reproducible.

Any thoughts? (My guess is that the standalone version can't set the bootmode anymore, or can't properly reboot, maybe because the relevant parts have been "patched out" to save space).
That is good to know. At least the "fastboot inside" version can be used to flash a full uboot bist image to the mmc, so that you can then boot to the full fastboot mode.

The main reason for the existence of this standalone uboot with integrated fastboot is for users who have an erased or corrupted uboot bist in their mmc, so even a stripped down version with no bootmode support still has its place in our collection of debricking tools.

Thanks for finding this before I replaced the one in the MfgTool profiles. Now I will add it as a fourth profile instead...
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #1101
ivakuska
Enthusiast
ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ivakuska knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Touch software Version 5.1.2
Quote:

fastboot reboot

This is reproducible.

When I follow that speps , I open the CMD, and after i wrote :
was published : waitning for device and ai waiteddd.... so much and I disconeted the device.. I should update the kindle unknown driver with this posted?

Thx
ivakuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #1102
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

fastboot reboot

This is reproducible.

I confirm overall behavior. setvar bootmode diags works flawlessly. reboot doesn't reboot device, just "reset" it somehow, certainly disrupting fastboot mode. I don't know why and not sure I'll investigate it further.

Hold power button for reboot after setvar. Or don't set bootmode at all and use diags.bin U-Boot image for booting diags.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #1103
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I'd like to say a huge thanks to ixtab! With the instructions he provided I downgraded my KT to the previous firmware version and updated back smoothly.
(Don't ask why I needed to do that. Short answer is - I wanted to understand all the things to do that to clean up my device from all the mess (unneeded hacks/changes).
And..the last but not least: it's all about an experience you get learning the new stuff! ^_^
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #1104
jcyb9
jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.

Kindle Touch bricked with write-protected flash

Hi everybody,

I have a KT which bricked after rechargin from depleted battery.

Synptoms are the TREE screen (withouth progress bar) and after a minute followed by blank/black flashing screen to the TREE screen and so on.

I can switch between fastboot/diags modes using MfgTool, but fastboot flashing or even erasing has no effect. In fact (by switching to diags mode and activating USB Mass Storage Device) even an erased user partition shows the old data. Even FORMATTING and FILLING USB MSD has no effect, the old data is somehow recovered after rebooting the KT!!!

Not mentioning SSH, which returns 'connection refused' (after 30s) even after flashing mmcblk0p2_ssh.img!!!

Also, activating the MOVINAND test in DIAGS mode returns FAIL (but maybe it fails even in non-bricked kindles).

Any help greately appreciated, thank you
jcyb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #1105
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyb9 View Post
Hi everybody,

I have a KT which bricked after rechargin from depleted battery.

Synptoms are the TREE screen (withouth progress bar) and after a minute followed by blank/black flashing screen to the TREE screen and so on.

I can switch between fastboot/diags modes using MfgTool, but fastboot flashing or even erasing has no effect. In fact (by switching to diags mode and activating USB Mass Storage Device) even an erased user partition shows the old data. Even FORMATTING and FILLING USB MSD has no effect, the old data is somehow recovered after rebooting the KT!!!

Not mentioning SSH, which returns 'connection refused' (after 30s) even after flashing mmcblk0p2_ssh.img!!!

Also, activating the MOVINAND test in DIAGS mode returns FAIL (but maybe it fails even in non-bricked kindles).

Any help greately appreciated, thank you
You said that "fastboot ERASING" does not work? How do you know that? Why did you do that?

If you erase the user partition, rebooting REPOPULATES it with default files. Did you expect it to stay empty after reformatting?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #1106
jcyb9
jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.jcyb9 knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You said that "fastboot ERASING" does not work? How do you know that? Why did you do that?
I did because I read many posts about debricking yesterday, and found out that sometimes doing a
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3
helped to debrick. I did it also because I was frustrated in not having any SSH after "fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img", so I tried a "fastboot erase diags" before it.

I know about fastboot being something made for android ported to KT, so not everything may work or report an OK while not working (e.g.: flashing a large 128MB main .img).

Quote:
If you erase the user partition, rebooting REPOPULATES it with default files. Did you expect it to stay empty after reformatting?
No, in fact I expected the defaults while I found my books, jbpatcher, a CBR reading app, screensaver, gui launcher, etc.

I also did a
Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/cygdrive/f/randfile
before disconnecting the KT.

Yes I know it sounds very strange, unfortunately these are the symptoms.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #1107
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcyb9 View Post
I did because I read many posts about debricking yesterday, and found out that sometimes doing a
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3
helped to debrick. I did it also because I was frustrated in not having any SSH after "fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2_ssh.img", so I tried a "fastboot erase diags" before it.

I know about fastboot being something made for android ported to KT, so not everything may work or report an OK while not working (e.g.: flashing a large 128MB main .img).

No, in fact I expected the defaults while I found my books, jbpatcher, a CBR reading app, screensaver, gui launcher, etc.

I also did a
Code:
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/cygdrive/f/randfile
before disconnecting the KT.

Yes I know it sounds very strange, unfortunately these are the symptoms.
You are confusing /dev/mmcblk0p3 and /dev/mmcblk0p4.
More info: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Partitions.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #1108
jcyb9

Quote:
You are confusing /dev/mmcblk0p3 and /dev/mmcblk0p4.
More info: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Partitions.
Well, I'm trying to erase/zero both, withouth success.

Also the 'bootmode' variable is unchaged, but I succeed to get diags via MfgTool:

Code:
C:\fastboot>fastboot setvar bootmode diags
setting 'bootmode' to 'diags'...
bootmode diags:
finished. total time: 0.000s

C:\fastboot>fastboot getvar bootmode
bootmode: main
finished. total time: -0.000s
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #1109
jcyb9

I think i found someone with my same probleme here at "Kindle Touch: Bricked and readonly filesystem". Unfortunately no solution...
Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #1110
jcyb9

I'm getting crazy: tried the "mount nfs" method like described in this thread, also tried the "D) Disable diagnostics" way used by Duokan: no way...

I should find a way to unprotect the internal moviNand flash somehow (since I think it's something more deep than just a read-only filesystem mount).

Tags
debricking