Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #76
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
The article doesn't seem to take into account how many of us have both and will continue to upgrade both.
My first (basic) eReader is a couple of years old now; earlier this year I bought a (very inexpensive) 7" tablet to play with, read pdf's, and 'learn' android. This month, when I realized my credit card had enough in rebates to offset half the price, I bought a Nook Glowlight, gaining both wifi and the light (which I really like, btw). The old Libre is great to toss in the picnic basket for the beach or mountains - if it gets lost or broken, well, it has more than paid for itself; the Nook is perfect for nighttime or low-light situations; the tablet is a great traveling companion - good for short reads, checking email, jotting notes... None of them serve all those purposes for me.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #77
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I've supported eReaders this month

My hubby and I only just bought our first e-readers (both eInk) this month, so I don't think the market is over-saturated. Now that the price of the devices/technology is coming down, you'll get more people like us who wanted something that was easier on the eyes than an iPhone, iPad or computer screen, light and portable for traveling and cheaper so that if it gets lost or damaged it is easier to replace.

I have an iPad but I don't do much reading. I use it mainly for browsing Facebook, Pinterest and light reading of internet articles. For eBooks, it was not going to "cut it" for me, plus my eyes get more tired these days with LCD screens.

There is also the basic fact that if you pick up a tablet/iPad, there are SO many things on it that will distract you from reading... a notification that lures you into Facebook or your email, that latest Angry Birds app just waiting to be played...
And yes, when it comes to the mainstream tablets, I think one of the earliest posts on this thread put it best: Jack of all trades, master of none.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #78
MAT160
Enthusiast
MAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-600
I've been using Sony eReaders for over three years (PRS-600 and PRS350), I also have an iPad. My eReaders are just for reading and I wouldn't change them, especially the PRS-350 (perfect size and weight).

I enjoy my iPad, but not for reading!
MAT160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #79
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Consumer's Reports is still recommending eink readers over tablets for long-form narrative books due to price, battery life, and weight (I think those were the major issues.. I read the article a few days ago, and didn't save the link). They still prefer the Nook over the Kindle (I can't remember why), but I don't think they've done reviews of the front-lit versions.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #80
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
There is also the basic fact that if you pick up a tablet/iPad, there are SO many things on it that will distract you from reading... a notification that lures you into Facebook or your email, that latest Angry Birds app just waiting to be played...
Matter of self-control. When I'm reading something I really like/enjoy, it's really difficult to get me distracted (I have most notifications disabled as I just tend to find them annoying particularly when in the middle of reading). If a book is boring or I can't find something I'm currently in the mood to read, that's when I do other stuff including checking out MR forums. Mostly though, I just do the virtual equivalent of browsing bookshelves and reading book jackets.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #81
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I'll always use an ereader over a tablet for reading. I have been using a reader as my main device since 2010. In that time i've bought 3 kindles, 1 sony reader and a kobo. I am currently using a paperwhite. I have 2 tablets, a galaxy note and an ipod touch. I will read occasionally on any of these devices but the ereader is always the first choice if available. I'll wait and see what the next kindle brings. If the updates are not significant I will stick with my paperwhite for another year. I'm also keen to ckeck out the kobo aurora. I could have it as a second reader, but my main reader will most likely always be a kindle.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I'll always use an ereader over a tablet for reading.
"Always" is a long time. I'm sure that within a few years (5-10 years would be my guess) we'll have screens which are equally good at being used for books or video, and that the distinction between tablets and readers will disappear.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #83
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I have nothing against tablets except the weight and battery life. If those can be solved, I don't mind if the distinction between ereader and tablet goes away. As long as those two issues still exist, the distinction will be important for me, at least.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #84
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I got my iRiver Story HD Wifi (dang that's a long name) because I wanted to be able to test stuff I uploaded to Smashwords and BookieJar. Then I found some pieces by Andre Norton, H. Beam Piper, H. P. Lovecraft, and Robert Howard in Project Gutenberg. So I suddenly was able to use it for those times when I would end up way to farking early and could sit around and read.

I had it for six months before it got stolen.

About six months later, I got my TF300. One of the first apps I downloaded was FBReader, because the included My Library app was a little problematic (some bugs were just recently fixed).

On the issue of short battery life and more distractions, I sorta agree. My TF300 gets really good battery life if I switch it to power save mode. There are definitely more distractions, though, including my writing applet.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #85
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Screen glare is the biggest issue for me with a tablet. I get headaches if I use a tablet too long.

And I agree about the distractions. Sure, it's a matter of self-control, and nothing stops me from picking up my tablet while I'm using the ereader, but there is a mindset when you're reading on an ereader. It's just like they say if you're having trouble sleeping, it is critical to make sure your bed is only used for sleeping.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #86
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Eh, I have no problems just reading on my Samsung GMP5 or my Nexus. That is pretty much all that I do with them. When I want to browse the web that is what a computer is for.

I get about 2 days out of my GMP5 and a little less with the Nexus.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #87
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I cannot read on a tablet for too long before my eyes start to hurt and I get a headache. That is why I no longer use my Nook Color to read. If the tablet world could fix that problem, then I would consider it. Up until that time, it is a dedicated e-ink reader for me.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #88
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
For me a tablet will never be ok for reading, even if they reduce the weight and improve the battery life. You can't read a tablet in the sun. Heck, even on a cloudy day, I can barely read my cell phone screen without trying to shade it more. That's not even figuring in the eye strain.

So ereaders are going to continue to be a must for me as long as I read.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #89
kindlefire_lover
kindlefire_lover began at the beginning.

Device: KindleFire
I can see Amazon giving away a Kindle Fire to everyone who signs up for Amazon Prime. If you have a Kindle Fire and Amazon Prime you're more like to purchase items from Amazon. Therefore, every time you buy something it is an up sell. You don't need to pay for advertisement b/c it's your product. You're the gatekeepers of all your users.
One day when you load your Fire you get a $10.00 coupon that can be used on any Amazon purchase. Game over. Good luck Walmart.
kindlefire_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #90
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlefire_lover View Post
I can see Amazon giving away a Kindle Fire to everyone who signs up for Amazon Prime.
Only if the price for Prime Membership were to increase dramatically. And if people wouldn't root the device so they could use Google Play. I can see a lot of people signing up for a year of Prime to get the device and then never buying anything from Amazon, just so they could get the tablet.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote