Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #1
C Alberga
Enthusiast
C Alberga began at the beginning.

Device: none
Vertical Alignment in table cells, redux

My problem is similar to one discussed about three years ago, table-cell contents which are not vertically aligned at the top of their cells. The solution given was for CSS, however I am defining my table in old-fashioned HTML. I have "VALIGN="TOP" in the relevent TD statements, and in Calibre the display is correct if I view the "ZIP" (i.e. HTML) file, but when I convert to AZW3 or EPUB the cell contents are placed in the middle. What to do?

(Sorry for the dropped "x" in the subject line -- should be redux)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Travels with C & S - Unknown.zip (4.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: azw3 Travels with C & S - Unknown.azw3 (17.2 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-10-2015 at 05:49 PM. Reason: fix title
C Alberga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Add the following to extra css in the conversion dialog

td[valign=top] { vertical-align: top }
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
C Alberga
Enthusiast

Thank you. I've never used CSS, as the little HTML I've written has all seemed to work without it. How does this indicate that it only should apply to the first column, not all columns, to match my original HTML?

Is there documentation as to what things that work in the Reader, when displaying HTML, will not make it into other formats when converted?

And thank you to whomever "fixed" the subject line.

Last edited by C Alberga; 08-11-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...bute_selectors
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
C Alberga
Enthusiast

Again, thank you for the pointer. I wound up simply adding

style="vertical-align:top"

to the relevant <TD> statements. That let me do a single find/replace for all documents on my files containing tables. Admittedly brute-force, but simplest.