Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Goldensone
Lone Reader
Goldensone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
New to MobileRead!

Hi!

I am Sian (pronounced Shawn) and I currently live in Auburn, WA. I grew up in Southern California.

I like reading lots of different kinds of things - the types of books I usually choose are dark, scary, thriller type books but sometimes I stumble across an author or interesting title and read it anyway, even though it doesn't fall into any of my categories.

I got my Kindle 2 around May 2009 and have been reading quite a lot since. I used to be an avid reader but after having a baby (yeah, he's 12 now!) and working a lot, I didn't really read much anymore.

I read a bunch of the Jack Reacher books (by Lee Child) and just loved them. I love to get the freebies and that sometimes leads to further reading of that author - for instance - John Birmingham and his Axis of Time books - loved those - kind of like "The Final Countdown" but takes it further...

After that I decided to go back to some books I had started many years ago - Stephen King's Gunslinger series - when I started them he only had 3 done and I never finished the third book as he hadn't started writing anymore and I couldn't stand not knowing what happened. So I just finished reading them all and loved them - it was really good to see a favorite author of mine doing something recognizable to him but totally different from most of his stuff.

I found some very interesting Gulf War stories written by people who were there (and actually, I think those were more than $9.99, but those particular ones being more don't bother me a bit!)

Then, thanks to Amazon freebies, I ran into my new favorite author - Charlie Huston. For me this style of writing was completely new and involved my kind of subject - I was fascinated and excited to read it - I couldn't get enough of it! I got mad (for a minute) when I found out he hadn't written that much! I got the first Joe Pitt book 12/5/09 and the next 1/21/10; #3 1/22/10 and #4 1/25/10 - and so on! They are quick reads but I am really not a fast reader and I work a lot - albeit I do get an hour each way Monday-Friday on the bus, but I flew through these! I waited a little while and then found the 3 Hank Thompson books on Scribd and read those too. I am now trying to find other things to read in between so I can still get a Huston fix once and a while whilst I hope that he is busy writing and getting published as we speak!

Which, I guess is one reason I love authors like Stephen King and Dean Koontz - they can really churn them out and have been doing so since the early 70's so there are lots to get through!

I have been recently learning a lot more about my kindle and about ebooks in general which led me here and I hope to continue to learn from as well as contribute to this awesome community!
Goldensone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello Goldensone and welcome to MR!!!

Barstow ca here.

happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Sian, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	header_welcome.png
Views:	262
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	48094 to the forum, Sian.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Welcome to Mobileread, Sian!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Sian and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Sian and welcome to MR.

See, your name is a reason why I just don't get the english language. Why would you pronounce your name one way and spell it another? Is it just to confuse us who have to learn the language?
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
Goldensone
Lone Reader
Goldensone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
well, you'd have to ask the Welsh people that - as that is how they spell it! It actually is supposed to have a hat over the a for pronunciation. I don't get it either, but then, that's why I tell people how it's said...
Goldensone is offline   Reply With Quote