Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
giom
giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: cybook or sony 505
In the US until 22nd and 450$ budget for an ereader... What should I buy?

Hi,

I'm in the US until the 22nd and want to buy an ereader here... I live in China.
Originally, I was planning on buying the Irex DR800sg but I think that won't work after all...

Here are what I'd like:
- read epub (because some of the programing book shops like pragprog use that format)
- Ability to show monospaced fonts (useful from programing books)
- Possibility to read pdf files in good conditions (mostly text based pdf files though)
- supports a lot of format
- possibility to annotate with a stylus...
- sdk to be able to install applications...

I don't really care about wireless connections, and since amazon doesn't sell ebooks to china I'm not sure if I need it to be able to read ebooks from amazon.

What would you recommend?
Where can I buy it so that it arrives before I live the US? I'm in New York currently

Thanks a lot
giom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
tuncaysu
tuncaysu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Daily Edition (PRS-900)
i think with your constraints, you are describing a sony reader daily or touch edition, the choice between the two mostly depends on your size preference.
tuncaysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaysu View Post
i think with your constraints, you are describing a sony reader daily or touch edition, the choice between the two mostly depends on your size preference.
I agree with tuncaysu. Dont forget though part of that dough needs to go towards a fancy case and a memory stick (if wanted) and a wall charger and tax.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I agree with tuncaysu. Dont forget though part of that dough needs to go towards a fancy case and a memory stick (if wanted) and a wall charger and tax.
Or buy it at a tax-free shop at the airport...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
giom
giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone for your answers

The Daily edition really looks good, but I can't seem to find a place where I can try it out or buy it in New York (even on sony's website they only plan on sending it on the 19th)

@Sweetpea do you know if I could find a shop selling it tax free at laguardia?
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by giom View Post
Thanks everyone for your answers

The Daily edition really looks good, but I can't seem to find a place where I can try it out or buy it in New York (even on sony's website they only plan on sending it on the 19th)

@Sweetpea do you know if I could find a shop selling it tax free at laguardia?
No idea, I've never been to New York. But I do know most bigger (and espcially internation) airports have a lot of tax free shops...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
I do not think there is a good chance of finding a Sony Daily at LaGuardia. At least not enough that you should plan on getting it there. You have a better shot at the electronic stores in the city, but I just checked the larger ones and they are not showing in stock as of today.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
giom

Actually thinking it over, I think I'm going to get a 5 inch reader and then wait for the bigger readers to come out.... Having a small reader will always be useful for traveling....

Between the five inches readers which one would you recommend and why?
- Sony pocket edition
- Cybook opus
- pocketbook 360
- hanlin (in which case I'd probably buy it back home in Shanghai)

From what I gathered the firmware of the pocketbook 360 is better?
This should tide me over until I can buy a que, or the DR800sg and so on...
Old 01-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
giom, since you plan to buy a second device in the near future, I suggest that you consider getting the inexpensive jetBook Lite (I imagine you can get the Chinese version, called the Dr. Yi, in Shanghai.) for your 5" reader. I have one and I like it, although I admit that I make very few demands of it.

I would say that here at MobileRead the 5" that has generated the most enthusiasm has been the PocketBook 360.

Last edited by GA Russell; 01-15-2010 at 05:52 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Have you looked that the Entourage Edge? It is $40 over your budget... but it is a great price (lowest price) for a larger device that supports stylus annotations and such.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
giom

Hi, the Entourage Edge look quite interesting... but at 1.5 kg I'm worried that it might be a bit too unwieldy for reading books...

@GA Russels I'll have to look at the Dr. Yi ... because it's true that there's 90$ price difference between that and the pocketbook it seems...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For your stated needs, have you considered a UMPC/TabletPC?
Archos 9
Asus T91
Viliv
Or some such?
If you're looking for a 5" model, the Pocketbook 360 is pretty good; user-replaceable battery, SDHC compatibility, and rock-solid firmware. Excellent ergonomics.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
giom

The problem of tabletpc, is that I already spend 10-15h a day on the computer, so switching a part of my day to an e-ink would be a good move :-)

Thanks, I'll pulled the trigger and ordered a pocketbook from Yar... I'll try that out and buy a bigger device in a few months...

Last edited by giom; 01-17-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
giom

I got my pocketbook 360, really great purchase I really enjoy it :-)

For those in the US, you should definitely order it from Yar ( http://www.pocketBookReader.com/ ), great service and very friendly.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by giom View Post
The problem of tabletpc, is that I already spend 10-15h a day on the computer, so switching a part of my day to an e-ink would be a good move :-)

Thanks, I'll pulled the trigger and ordered a pocketbook from Yar... I'll try that out and buy a bigger device in a few months...
Ya, I agree, but that new apple tablet looks interesting.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote