Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
JetBook Lite Cannot Purge Formatting

I loaded an .epub file, did not like the formatting, and deleted it. I then found the same book in .txt with better formatting and loaded that, but instead of the book reader displaying the text file as formatted, it RETAINED the formatting of the .epub file that had been removed.

I deleted the .txt file so there were no copies of any type on the book reader, RESET the reader, then reloaded the .txt file. Same results, the .epub formatting is retained, even though the .txt file formatting is correct in Notepad. Where is this .epub formatting being saved and how do I get rid of it?
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Try removing the book in question from the recent readings list and then reset. You also might try with a slightly different filename.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Ron46
Zealot

I have already tried both including resets and also reinstalled the firmware. My Windows experience goes back to the days of 3.1, I now mainly use Linux, and I have been a tech writer for a dozen years, and I have NEVER seen anything like this. The reader is ignoring the .txt file (which displays correctly in Notepad, Word, Gedit or anything else you open it with on the computer) and is displaying the formatting of an epub file that has been DELETED. I kid you not. What is especially troubling is that a firmware reinstall did not fix it. Somewhere there is a database file that is being retained that I have no access to.

The practical results of this is that if you install an epub file that has botched formatting, even if you delete it, you cannot correct the formatting in a txt file- so you have to view all epub files on your computer before you dare to put them on your reader. I have been talking up this ereader quite a bit , but now I am really beginning to wonder!

Last edited by Ron46; 01-10-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
kirbinster
Enthusiast
kirbinster began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
That does not make sense, here is why. If you load a txt file with a totally different name and tell it to read that then their should be no association with the epub file that had a different name. Something is a mis in what I am hearing you say.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
JeePea
Enthusiast
JeePea is on a distinguished road

Device: Ectaco Jetbook Lite
If you've changed the name of the file and it still displays the same, then I'd think the formatting problem you're seeing is within the text file itself. I used to have this happen all of the time with my Kindle. I would create DOC files, have them converted to Kindle format and they wouldn't display the same as they did in Word, sometimes separating the paragraphs by two spaces when I'd only put in one. You might try the same thing with another epub and txt file and see if you get the same results.
JeePea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Ron46
Zealot

I know it does not make sense. That is why I bothered to give a little personal background (not to brag) and an "I kid you not". Even if I rename the file test.txt, it still displays the same as the old epub file. But remember, two files CAN be associated by internal information instead of by filename. For example, if I take a Gutenberg zip file which is usually some number.zip and rename it Marie.zip so I know what it is later, when I expand the zip file later, it gives me a text file with the original numeric name.txt, not the new name I gave the zip file. And Epub files are compressed files very much like zip files.

Here is how to duplicate this, if you want: Go to Gutenberg and download Robert Frost's Mountain Interval in epub, put it on your reader, open it, page down 20 pages or so into the actual poems, and you will see sections with larger fonts and other formatting. Now delete the file from your reader. Reset the reader if you want.

Now download the same work in a txt file, or zip file with txt file in it. (It has some leading spaces at the start of each line that I deleted by opening the txt file in Word and replacing with nothing, then resaving as txt.) Open the txt file in Notepad or Word and verify that all text is the same font size, the leading spaces are gone etc. For extra measure, save it again out of Notepad (Notepad cannot save anything but ASCII- no formatting. Now load this txt file on the reader and open it. On mine, I see the formatting that was in the epub file- leading spaces, oversized selected fonts etc.

The ONLY thing I have not tried is to reformat the reader (not just the SD card) before reinstalling the firmware, then use ONLY txt files. But I do not know if this is safe without asking Ectaco. The reader is Linux, so I do not know wheter to format it in Linux ext3, or FAT like on the SD card.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Well, as another random test, why not both rename the text file AND put it in a different folder/subfolder? Honestly I'm at a loss here.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Ron46
Zealot

I also tried the different folder thing. There must be some sort of database file linking these in the reader that does not get reset (as it probably should) when you update or reinstall the firmware. This would be OK if you had ACCESS to that file so you could reset it yourself.

When you do a firmware reinstall, it is not a total clean sweep. Your books are the same ones you had (on the reader) with deletions and additions. So there is a section in the reader that is protected from firmware updates. I think the linking file I am suspecting is similarly protected and is a hidden file.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Can you post the text file & epub (If its PD)?
Then we can check if the same thing happens on another JetBook

Sorry - Ignore that, I'll get it from gutenberg and have a go tonight

Last edited by MikeB1972; 01-11-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Stupidity
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
This sounds like a cache that is not being flushed. If I open a book it remembers where I left off no matter how many books I have had open. Also if I have ever opened a book, close it, then open the book again, it loads a magnitude faster because they must be caching the last few books you had open. We should be able to verify this by opening say 5 books, scrolling though them, closing them, and then going back to your text file and see if the formatting goes away. I have no idea how much caching the reader is doing but maybe this will tell us something.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Clear Recent Readings

When you are in the Book List, press the Menu button (top left of the 4-way rocker switch area) and select this setting to clear recent readings - this should do the trick. If you have changed the contents of the file but left the name and meta data the same, it may help to remove and replace the SD card WHILE THE JETBOOK IS ON, and it will re-index the card contents when you put it back in. These two things worked for me when I changed the contents and formatting of one of my ebooks and found that the jetBook was "remembering" the old version. There seems to be some persistent internal cache that needs to get cleaned out.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
When you are in the Book List, press the Menu button (top left of the 4-way rocker switch area) and select this setting to clear recent readings - this should do the trick. If you have changed the contents of the file but left the name and meta data the same, it may help to remove and replace the SD card WHILE THE JETBOOK IS ON, and it will re-index the card contents when you put it back in. These two things worked for me when I changed the contents and formatting of one of my ebooks and found that the jetBook was "remembering" the old version. There seems to be some persistent internal cache that needs to get cleaned out.
I had the same thing happen with an ePub I reformatted (the old version kept coming up not the new) and I finally figured out I not only had to delete the book on the card, but I had to clear my recent readings list and remove/reinstall the SD card while the device was turned on. I got a message that the device was reindexing please don't remove the card.. duh.. afterwards I had the correct version. I don't know what the results would be though if you loaded the book in question in the main memory area. I personally deleted most of the pre-loads and keep my reading books on an SD card.

Maybe Ectaco will create a better manual (lol as the little quick start up manual tells you next to nothing) after we do all the field testing and work arounds the hard way for them!!

Karen
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Ron46
Zealot

Reinterpretation

My assumption that the plain text file was getting its formatting from a previously installed epub file was wrong. I took the hint from JeePea's post on 1-10.

I took my wife's Lite that had never had the epub version of Frost's Mountain Interval installed and put the unformatted, plain txt file on that machine and still got formatting- including (but not only) a very large typeface for each poems' title. Yet if you open the txt file in Notepad or Word, there is nothing that I can see that indicates any formatting- just plain text, all the same size.

So something else seems to be going on. How is this reader doing this? I did not think it was possible to HIDE formatting commands in a plain text file.

My problem with this is that if I do not like the formatting for one reason or another, I cannot reverse it by loading in a plain txt file- the reader is making formatting choices for me.