Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Troubleshooting (device crash)

Hello everybody! I'd hoped my first post would be a review, but unfortunately I need a bit of assistance before that. This forum has been very helpful for my selection of an e-reader, so I'm hoping you all can be equally helpful with a few problems I'm having with my device.

First, I'd like to say that the Pocketbook 360 has proven to be a very nice device while I had it up and running. I would definitely be satisfied with the purchase if I could keep the system more stable. Judging from the rest of this forum, my problems seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep an event log of my difficulties, so I'll have to sketch it from memory. I would greatly appreciate any advice from troubleshooting experts. I received my device just before Christmas and it seemed to work fine after the initial charge. By the second day, the system wouldn't boot. Resetting the device fixed the enabled the device to boot, but soon it crashed while I was using it. The hourglass icon appeared while I was moving around the bookshelf, but it never loaded my page. When I turned off the device and tried booting, the initial screen and hourglass would appear, but the device wouldn't load. The reset button wasn't helping, so I reformatted the drive. This seemed to work for several days until the same crash happened again tonight. Reformatting again helped, but although the device appears to be working, I don't want to use it if I have to do this consistently. Please let me know if there is a way to stop these crashes so I can use my e-reader with confidence.

Other information:
-Firmware: W101.14.2 was preloaded.
-The PC link setting didn't seem to automatically link for file download.
-My battery indicator seems to be broken.
-I tried to download and read the Chinese language texts from the Pocketbook site (Russian worked great). I installed the fonts and the books, but the characters wouldn't show. Instead, they appeared as a series of boxes. My second crash occurred while I was accessing a folder of these texts that I had successfully accessed before.
-I had the same double-boot problem as some of the other posters, but my first crash was before I had installed the SD card. My second crash occurred afterwards, but removing the card didn't change anything. I never actually loaded any books onto the card.
-I always used the 'Safely remove hardware' option before disconnecting and I was careful never to drop or jostle the device.
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
Ebiumn
Connoisseur
Ebiumn doesn't litterEbiumn doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Kindle Voyage
did you do the hard reset with the device connected to the pc, i had a charging issue when i first got the device and it seems similar to this, it just needed to be charged correctly
Ebiumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
KievNYC
KievNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook301+
When you opened book and see boxes.try to go to setup by pressing central button and check which fonts are set for book. It could be set to origional font.
KievNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Try to see how many of the problems recur without a memory card.
Simplify the system to limit the failure modes.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
language gamer
language gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litterlanguage gamer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Touch, Pocketbook 360, ebookwise 1150 (retired)
Thanks all for your advice.

Both times when I reformatted the drive, I held the ok and left keys during bootup. I tried reformatting again from the maintenance window and I'm hoping that will take care of the problem. It seems when I did that, I lost all the preloaded books, dictionaries, and applications. Does anyone know how to get those back?

I will try to keep the system more simple, but one of the reasons I have this book is the multi-language books and dictionaries. I will try the font options and see if that works.

If anyone has any other advice for these types of problem I would appreciate it. I will post any updates that occur. Thanks again!

Last edited by language gamer; 01-02-2010 at 04:31 PM.
language gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by language gamer View Post
Thanks all for your advice.

Both times when I reformatted the drive, I held the ok and left keys during bootup. I tried reformatting again from the maintenance window and I'm hoping that will take care of the problem. It seems when I did that, I lost all the preloaded books, dictionaries, and applications. Does anyone know how to get those back?

I will try to keep the system more simple, but one of the reasons I have this book is the multi-language books and dictionaries. I will try the font options and see if that works.

If anyone has any other advice for these types of problem I would appreciate it. I will post any updates that occur. Thanks again!
Quote:
19. Delivery status with "Hardware Reset"

1. Connect power cables.
2. Switch Device
3. Lower leaf-print button and OK hold (PB360), or just "trash" (PB301 +)
4. Wait until text appears on screen.
5. 10 minutes wait.
http://translate.google.de/translate...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
1) Try to reboot the device while it is connected to the PC. You know where the reboot-pinhole-button is located, don't you? (Behind the lower back cover).
2) When you open your Chinese book and see only little squares this means that the encoding/font combination is not set correct. Choose one of the Chinese fonts (simhei, simsun, etc) and auto encoding.
3) Contact me, please, if nothing helps.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote