Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Alanodx
Alanodx began at the beginning.

Device: none
Edit metadata of tons of PDF

Hello,
First, if this problem has already solved before, sorry, I didn't found it.
Second, I hope you guys can understand me, because my English is very limited.

ok, my problem is that I have a folder with more than 300 ebooks in PDF and all named this way: "Title - Author.pdf" but any of then have the correct information on metadata (some titles are "windows 98" when should be "The Alchemist", some with nothing and some with anything but what should be).

So, to fix this I need to click with right button on file proprieties>PDF and write the corrects title and authors one by one.
I tried some softwares but none of then worked =/

So what I looking for is any software that can read the filename (all files are named in the same form "title - author.pdf") and edit the meta information like many mp3 software does, I believe that there is such program.

I trying to found a solution for many days and I just tired now and almost giving up. If anyone here know a solution for this problem will be a HUGE help to me.

Thanks for any help.
Alanodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
BeCyPDFMetaEdit is a PDF metadata editor that I've heard works well. (I use Acrobat Pro to edit PDFs, or ARTS PDF Workshop in Excel to edit lots of metadata in batch; both of those are rather expensive.)

However, if the PDFs are locked against editing, you can't change the metadata. You'd need to unlock the PDFs first. There are programs that do this (I use A-PDF Restrictions Remover, which costs $10), and an online spot that claims to do so for free--I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for it, but Ensode's PDF Unlock Online Utility comes well-recommended on a couple of blogs.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Alanodx
Alanodx began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yeah, I've heard about this BeCyPDFMetaEdit too but it seams to not work in windows 7 I tried to download this in 3 sites and no one works.

I tried A-PDF rename too but the command-line function is quite difficult and the support for it sucks.

oh, and all my PDF are free to edit the meta information and I also have the acrobat Pro, how can I use it to edit many files? I look for this function but it seams to be only possible edit one by one.

thanks for responding
Alanodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Acrobat Pro only edits one at a time. (You can use Batch Processing, but it only works to give them all the same metadata, which is pretty useless for title & author.)

For editing swarms of PDFs, I use Arts PDF Workshop, which is a plugin for MS Excel. However, they no longer sell it separately (they used to), and the version I have works on Excel 97 but not Excel 2000 or 2003. (Presumably, the new package deal does.) But it's very pricey for editing a few (i.e. less than several thousand) PDFs.

There's an older post at PlanetPDF that says Photoshop has a way to batch edit PDF metadata; I'll have to try that one. (It may be just another way to put the same metadata in a cluster of files, not useful for naming individual files.)

VeryPDF has a program that looks possible. $38, with a free 30 day trial.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
yihyng
yihyng began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Is there something which automatically converts the title to the filename?
yihyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 02:01 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I do not know about Vista or W7.

There are other free software for changing PDF metadata that you could try.
- A-PDF INFO changer
http://www.a-pdf.com/infochanger/
- PDF Info
http://www.logitheque.com/logiciels/...info_15327.htm

Basically, they work nearly the same way (no batch processing as far as I know)
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote