Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
DIY Lightwedge (my booklight)

My new light for the reader

I suppose you know the invention of Lightwedge to read books and that Sony has adapted to its case to light.

This is a layer of methacrylate (I suppose) internally illuminated with LEDs that when putting on the pages of the book illuminate it in its entirety and without lights waste.

I think this is a great invention and I decided to ride one to see that such a sale.

The materials:

A plate-methacrylate which was home.
-5 White LEDs 5mm diameter and 3.5 v resistance and 20mA and five of 56 Ohms
- A holder of 3 AA batteries
- A bit of wire and some connectors and sockets
- A CD sleeve and a box of old nails

What he methacry first cut with a long equal to the screen reader and a width of 2 cm more. This is 12.5 x 11 cm

And a few notches cut of 5 mm to fit the leds. The extremes of 1.25 cm from the side or the other separated 2.5 cm

Then mount the LEDs. I used to base a piece of rigid plastic removed from a cable tray. I made a holes with a nail for each LED meter leg where negative and thus connect the LEDs in parallel, connecting the legs above positive and negative with resistance from below. The LEDs are bent to one side.

First light of evidence connecting the LEDs to the three batteries of 1.5 v put on the stand. Total 4.5 v

This promises! Keep in mind that the methyl carries on each side a plastic protector.

He protected the circuit with insulating tape to prevent short circuits or disconnections. I intend to make the invention beyond repair (all stuck) as the duration of the LEDs is very high and simplifies the assembly.

Then with the dremmel I cut the sides of the CD case along with a width of three cm. It should be the side of the bottom of the box that has angle and serve to make the box that will cover the LEDs.

With the methyl silicone thermal paste to the base of leds and cover these with the two sides of the CD which also hit with silicone.

I connected the cable positive and negative circuit of LEDs (secure with tape) to a male connector snaps and I've stuck to the top of the box. Cutting the rest of the CD sleeve of the two pieces of plastic triangular shape, I have stuck to extremes to stop all closed.

The following is painted in black compartment to prevent the LEDs light output.

While the paint dries, I have the power source by placing the battery holder inside a plastic box where you get the cable with comector female in the extreme. Pintaráde is also black.

So much for today. Tomorrow with the paint dries, withdraw the protections of methacrylate and try the invention. If it works later on I will make another more streamlined and better finishes.

Soon photos of the result.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
The machine is already complete.

It has been aesthetically pretty well.

Lighting quality is not bad. No lights as much as a direct light but enough to read (looks better in reality).

Much light is lost by side to scroll horizontally without illuminate the page. Testing, I've seen hitting a plastic sticker as a broadcaster following a lighting and perfect. Pity that the adhesive prevents the reading with quality.

At the moment I leave him well. I can read perfectly well without the diffuser calm and get some stuff that makes diffuser without loss of quality for the next version of the device.

surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Much light is lost by side to scroll horizontally without illuminate the page.
Very nice! The Light Wedge uses a tapered piece of plastic (thick on LED side, gets thinner away from the LEDs) which causes more light to diffract onto the Reader screen. I think you saw the same effect with the plastic sticker you tried.

Looks like you are indeed losing a lot of light out the right side of the methacrylate. Have you considered putting something reflective around the edge? Perhaps a thin strip of aluminum foil, folded down the right hand edge of the methacrylate? You seem to have about 5mm to spare on that side.

That would reflect the light back into the methacrylate, perhaps diffusing more onto the Reader screen. At the least it would stop it from spilling out the right and lighting up the room.

Again, nice work!!!

Regards,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 10-01-2008 at 05:53 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Very nice! I'm sure there are lots of ways to tweak it, but you've got a very good, and nice looking, project there. Thanks for sharing it with us!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Muy guapo

If you could integrate the battery cage so you could hang the whole thing from the top of the Reader I would like it even better.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
jckatz
Connoisseur
jckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litter

Device: SONY PSR-500
Or you can purchase it on eBay for $7.50 including shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
Or you can purchase it on eBay for $7.50 including shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
You're kinda missing the point. Yes, lightwedges can be had for cheap, but, it is also fun to just make something.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote