Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 07-15-2005, 09:09 PM   #1
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Looking for a Gadget

I'm now in the market for a new gadget... a dedicated mp3 player.

But wait, before you say "Get an iPod", let me give you my specifics and my requirements:
  1. Must support .ogg format, no exceptions. Most of my collection is in .ogg format (or .ogm for video), and I don't want to downsample them to mp3 format files if I can avoid it. I have exceptional hearing and I'll be able to tell when highs and lows are missing in the re-encoded version.
  2. Must be light. I'll be using it for training on a bike and triathlons, so being light is a major consideration. I don't want to have to keep readjusting it and I don't want to feel it bouncing around on an armband or a waistband.
  3. Must be small, or as small as possible given its features. I don't need a big clickwheel because I'll be keeping it out of reach while its playing. I also don't want a player that is the size of a deck of cards on my arm or waist.
  4. Must be relatively water-resistant, mostly to sweat and perspiration, as well as condensation from my camelback water pack or waterbottles. Extra points for a player that is waterproof, or has a waterproof case option that isn't too bulky.
  5. Must have a decent battery life and a built-in rechargeable battery. I don't want to have to use AAAA or AAA batteries in the player and keep those charged and change them all the time.
  6. Must have decent storage. I don't need 10 hours of music if I can keep recycling music onto and off of it before each session. Anything more than say 4gb is probably fine. Extra points if the player supports playlists I can cycle through (no pun intended). This allows me to have fast-bpm songs for splits and hills, and slower songs for flats.
Simple, right? Well I've checked every electronics store here locally, searched literally hundreds of online sites, read reviews (good and bad) on dozens of players, and I'm not finding much out there.

Any ideas out there? Small, light, decent storage, decent battery life, and able to withstand some sporting activities. Nothing like scuba diving, but running and cycling.

I'm open to anything at this point. Fill me up with ideas everyone!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This from Engadget might be worth looking at?
http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.1792
I can't tell how big it is, but seems to have the ogg & storage.
Advert
Old 07-16-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
Another suggestion - check out the iRiver range of players. When I was looking for an MP3 player I had quite a few Oggs which I'd made for my Palm and the iRiver players utilised a number of formats including Ogg. Their site is at http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/
Old 07-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I second the iRiver players... great alternative to iPods.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I heard that iRiver player have issues with OGG encoded in very low or very high bitrates. This affects VBR-encoded files as well. Not sure if this goes for all their models. Just a word of warning.
Advert