Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Home-made Japanese-English Dictionary for Kobo

Hi everyone,

here is a script that allows everyone to enrich the Japanese dictionary shipped with Kobo firmwares with English/German/??? translations from eDict (and/or Japanese3).

Detailed explanations can be found here: http://www.preining.info/blog/softwa...nary-enhancer/

The most current version is available via github here: Github project kobo-ja-dict-enhance, and the direct link to the script: enhance-dictionary.pl

Supported dictionaries

All dictionaries in edict2 format. Currently details are provided for English Edict2 from the JMdict/EDICT Project, and German from the Wadoku project. Furthermore, data from the Japanese3 dictionary application on iOS can be used.

ese3 dictionaries, and prefer Edict2 (which is the default). When not passing in any --dicts option, the program searches for both available dictionaries, which are found in this case.

Last edited by norbusan; 08-27-2015 at 06:53 PM.
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really want to try this. But for some reason, even though I have installed the 3.16.10 firmware on my H2O and synced, it only ever offers me the old dictionary for download.

Edit (removing prior edits):

I had to install 3.17.0, for some reason 3.16.10 would not accept the new dictionary.

But now it works great, English and Japanese rolled into one - perfect! Thanks so much!

Now all I need to learn is how to stop making highlights and annotations by accident.

Last edited by frostschutz; 08-12-2015 at 04:49 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I really want to try this. But for some reason, even though I have installed the 3.16.10 firmware on my H2O and synced, it only ever offers me the old dictionary for download.

Edit (removing prior edits):

I had to install 3.17.0, for some reason 3.16.10 would not accept the new dictionary.

But now it works great, English and Japanese rolled into one - perfect! Thanks so much!

Now all I need to learn is how to stop making highlights and annotations by accident.
Kobo stated that the support for the new Japanese dictionaries was only for the Glo HD in 3.16.10. They also stated that it would get to the other devices in the next firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

@frostschutz thanks for your feedback, good to hear that it works. I will try to do some more fixes, as I find that some hiragana->kanji->translation mappings don't work due to parsing problems.

@davidfor thanks for clarifying!

All the best

Norbert
Old 08-25-2015, 05:06 AM   #5
norbusan
Zealot

I have just released version 1.0, where there are now 326064 translated entries.

Please see the main documentation page Kobo Japanese Dictionary Enhancer for explanations and downloads.

If you need help, feel free to send me a PM.
Advert
Old 08-25-2015, 06:18 AM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Norbousan,
thank you very much!

When dicthtml-jaxxdjs.zip appeared, I tried to install dicthtml-ja.zip and dicthtml-jaxxdjs.zip parallel, however without success. Reminded by your new dictionary release, I tried again today (now under FW 3.17.3). There was still not much success, however, I found that now nickel accepts translation dictionaries with -ja as first language, e.g., htmldict-ja-en.zip. In previous FWs such dictionaries were listed, but when you tried to select one of them, you were presented with "Sorry, we do not supply a 日本語 - English dictionary", or something to that effect. Now, such dictionaries are accepted, however, only the regular (non-Japanese) search function is performed. As a result, you can see all dictionary entries listed (the marisa list), but only hiragana entries can actually be found. Would be nice if we could make nickel select the proper search function.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
norbusan
Zealot

Hi Tshering,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
There was still not much success
What do you mean? Did replacing .kobo/dicts/dicthtml-.... not result in lookups with English language additions?

Having ja-en dictionaries would be nice, but not if it is only for Hiragana, that is not very useful - at least for me. My problem are kanjis I cannot read by now, or compounds I don't know, but Hiragana only words only rarely make me stumble.

So, please, let me know if there are any problems? On my Kobo GloHD the generated dictionary works extremely nice.

All the best

Norbert
Old 08-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbusan View Post
What do you mean? Did replacing .kobo/dicts/dicthtml-.... not result in lookups with English language additions?
I meant to say that I would like to have more than one full functional Japanese (to some language) dictionaries installed at the same time. I thought maybe now (FW 3.17.3) is the right time. But I failed. I have perhaps to wait until Kobo publishes a Japanese-English dictionary.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, you could probably put several languages into one file, same way this script is creating a Japanese -> English & Japanese dictionary. It would mean more scrolling / more pages for every word you look up, though.

Again thanks for this script, very useful.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Well, you could probably put several languages into one file, same way this script is creating a Japanese -> English & Japanese dictionary.
I did this in the past with several languages, among those a Japanese-Japanese/English dictionary. And this works fine, but ...
Quote:
It would mean more scrolling / more pages for every word you look up, though.
This is the point.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #11
norbusan
Zealot

Actually, this is on my todo list: not using the plain edict2 file, but the newer edict2.xml which also contains some German and French translations. Unfortunately I am not aware of other projects providing translations (the Japanese-German Wadoku is great, but I don't have access to the database of it).

If anyone knows about other available dictionary options, please let me know.

All the best

Norbert
Old 08-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User

The Wadoku database is available, in XML and EDICT formats:

http://wadoku.de/wiki/display/WAD/Downloads+und+Links

Haven't tried it, though.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 AM   #13
frostschutz
Linux User

Norbert, is it possible to use both edicts, so I have English, German, and Japanese side-by-side? (If it means additional pages in the dictionary definition, I don't mind).
Old 08-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #14
norbusan
Zealot

Yes, please take a look at https://www.preining.info/blog/softw...nary-enhancer/
The new version 1.1 (announcement tomorrow probably) can do that. I have even screenshots already up there ;-)
Old 08-27-2015, 06:06 AM   #15
frostschutz
Linux User

Thanks!