Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Gizmojo
Gizmojo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, ASUS Transformer
Search multiple libraries?

Is the search function limited to the current library, or can it search through multiple libraries? I am in the process of moving books from one large (huge) library to several smaller topic-specific libraries. I'm hoping that I'll be able to look for a specific author or book without having to open each library to do so.
Gizmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The search is limited to one library at a time.

This is one reason why it usually is better to have one large library than several smaller.

Use saved restrictions to emulate smaller libraries in the large.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Gizmojo

Thanks for the quick response, Adoby. I was afraid of that. I guess I'll sort my large library into the smaller ones, and then merge the smaller libraries into folders in one large cleaned up library.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmojo View Post
Thanks for the quick response, Adoby. I was afraid of that. I guess I'll sort my large library into the smaller ones, and then merge the smaller libraries into folders in one large cleaned up library.
Out of curiosity, why do you want to split your large library? If it's just for maintaining different topics, is there any reason you couldn't just add a "topic" field to your large library and filter on that whenever you need to view only books of a specific topic? You could even use the View Manager plugin to set up views to simulate multiple libraries.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Gizmojo

Okay, I[ll try that! Thanks. I'm pretty new at Calibre. I really appreciate the help and the patience. It's going to take me a while to learn all the capabilities of this program.
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Gizmojo

I've searched the User Manual and am unable to find how to add a custom field to my library. For example, I want to sort books by fiction and non-fiction, and then have sub-categories, like science fiction, thriller, etc. in the fiction category and maybe photography, cooking, computer, in the non-fiction category. Is there someone with enough patience to help me through this process? Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
See the manual section Managing subgroups of books, for example “genre”.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_...roups-tutorial

The above is a link to appropriate page in the manual.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Gizmojo

thanks, Chaley and Polarpenguin. I am finally getting my library sorted out. I really appreciate your help.