Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Has anyone else needed to uninstall/reinstall desktop with a new Glo?

Saturday, December 22: Problem solved. Let this thread die.

Arrrgh; I swear I've never had an easy set up with any Kobo ereader.

This time, the Glo. (Bought it today at an Indie bookstore in the US. Yay; finally!)

Long story short, I was continually getting stuck at step 2 in the Set up. The twirling gray arrows. Stuck. I was directed to charge the reader for four hours, and try again. Long story short again, I've tried to get this Glo to work three times, with as many calls to Customer Support. (They've been very helpful).

Finally I gave in to the suggestion to uninstall and reinstall desktop to see if there's some glitch between that and the device.

(I hope it's a case of the desktop, and not the device. Argggh, I hope I won't have to return it).

Anyway - I'm re-syncing the desktop itself - and now every single book I've ever opened in my Kobo life, including any that I've finished, shows a bookmark.

Has anyone else gone through this?

P.S. - Dang DSL; 215 books in my library, and Iafter one hour, I'm only up to #107 in the sync. Zzzzz

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 12-22-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: More self-indulgent whining, in the form of a P.S.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Arrrgh; I swear I've never had an easy set up with any Kobo ereader.

This time, the Glo. (Bought it today at an Indie bookstore in the US. Yay; finally!)

Long story short, I was continually getting stuck at step 2 in the Set up. The twirling gray arrows. Stuck.
Just to doublecheck, on the slim chance that this solves your issue and you hadn't thought of it already - you know that you don't need to use the Desktop software to set up your Glo, right? The whole registration and setup can be done over WiFi.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi, meeera. Yes, I knew that; thanks. I don't have WiFi. I've never used it for any Kobo. I guess I was too anxious to get started with this one, rather than look for a WiFi spot.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Hi, meeera. Yes, I knew that; thanks. I don't have WiFi. I've never used it for any Kobo. I guess I was too anxious to get started with this one, rather than look for a WiFi spot.
Gotcha. Sorry, I avoid the desktop software like the plague if at all possible, so I can't help you there. Hopefully someone else can (or it's a trip off to McDonald's for you.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also if you wanted to speed up the sync you could go to the MyLibrary section of the KoboBooks website and "drop" the books you don't want to sync.

The books are not actually dropped, just moved to the Trash section, and you can later restore the ones you want from there.

Do be careful though in that free books might not be "saved" in Trash.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
beautifulsoup
Addict

Ah, okay.

It's the syncing, showing book marks in every books I've finished, that's bizarre!

Now I'm up 156 books synced out of 215, so I'll just stick with it.

P.S. to meeera: I think I'll do the McDonald's thing tomorrow - and try to stay away from the Big Macs.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 12-22-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Is this the screen with a "Skip" button on it? If so, you can press that and plugin later or use WiFi to get the rest. The only problem with doing this is that the book you want read is probably one of the last in the list to synced.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote