Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #916
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Use the zip attached here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=23

Extract to the root of your Kindle Drive. There are two items -- A folder called "update", and a file called "Update_oldupdate_install.bin"
Put the desired update, err, "downdate" into the folder "update".
Update your Kindle manually, from:
Menu ==> Settings ==> Menu ==> Update Your Kindle
I think I need a clarification for down-dating per your instructions. I took the above to mean but the referenced bin file above into the Update folder. However, when I try to update the kindle manually, "Update Your Kindle" is greyed out.

Is there a different file I'm supposed to put into the update folder?
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #917
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, hang on a sec. I found an earlier post indicating I'm supposed to got get a bin file and put that in the update folder, which I did. I put the old update fin file in the root file so the update folder and it are at the same level.

I did the update and I bought it worked, but I'm still at the same level, the update didn't take. The bin file had an extension of download, was I supposed to take that off?

The version I downloaded was 5.4.2.1.

I'll try again and rename the file to remove the download extension.
Advert
Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #918
jangell2
Addict

Ok, this time I get a message that the update was not successful.

to sum up, I put on the pw2 a
-update folder with the update_kindle_5.4.2.bin file in it (when it's downloaded it is given a download suffix. I removed that.
-a file called Update_oldupdate_install.bin at same level as the "update" folder. Root, that is.

I then manually update and I get a message the update was not successful.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #919
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jangell2: The first update process, or the second?

In any case, the error code at the bottom left corner of the screen would help, but I'm guessing it was U007, and that your device wasn't jailbroken?

(As for the bin file extensions question: err what? .bin is the file extension, period ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #920
jangell2
Addict

I got it to work. I think the bin file had download appended to it because it wasn't a complete download. Not sure how I grabbed it before the download was done. I did a new download of the bin file and it was a bin file. No other extension.

I did the update with that and it worked. Now I'm at 5.4.2.1.

Another question. I had previously successfully done the jail brake and had CM working until Amazon did that last update. Now that I'm back to a version that works with CM, is the jail brake still there? Do I have to jail brake again?

I just tried running CM and I've answered my own question. I've got to do the kindler jail break again. Damn.
Advert
Old 05-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #921
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The JailBreak, yes. Everything else, no.

So, for CM in particular, you'll at least have to reinstall MKK.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #922
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The JailBreak, yes. Everything else, no.

So, for CM in particular, you'll at least have to reinstall MKK.
I have done the jailbreak and installed the MKK. Then I ran CM and it opened successfully. I tried importing collections from calibre, and even though they were created before I did any of this updating, they worked.

I recreated the update.bin.tmp.partial folder to prevent future updates and I think I'll keep wireless off unless I'm getting a book.

Before I did any of my updates, I deleted the update.bin.tmp.partial folder to be sure it didn't interfere with the update process. Would it have interfered with any of these updates I did?

Thank you so much for your help, it is much appreciated.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #923
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Nope, it just reserves the temporary file that the update tries to download to.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #924
aferlynn
aferlynn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi - I'm new to kindle jailbreaking, but I installed the jailbreak + kindle collections + calibre collections plugin. I made collections in calibre, imported them to my kindle, it all worked great.

Now I am in the collections manager app, and am trying to tweak the collections on the kindle itself. But I cannot figure out how for the life of me to use the UI... I can't seem to open any of the collections in either top or bottom pane so that I can move more items into them. If I click the drop down menu (either in top or bottom pane), the only option listed is the "/" directory (I'm assuming that's the main directory). How do I add books to collections in the interface? Am I missing something?

I tried checking a book in the top pane, checking an existing collection in bottom pane, and clicking the "move down" button - no dice.

Also tried checking a book and clicking the "+" button, but I guess that's only if you want to create a NEW collection (not add to an existing one).

Please help! I've read the graphic.. But I'm clearly missing something. Thank you.
aferlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 AM   #925
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In my experience, you need to double-tap and sometimes triple-tap the collection in order to open it's view and move things into it.

The main "/" directory is by default the only collection shown. When inside a collection, you will see an option for each parent collection as well. Seems non-intuitive. You should see all of them. Or else have some way of listing only collections.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #926
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If it's a collection, simply clicking on it (not the checkbox), will open it. Then you can check stuff and move/copy them between panes . [Page by page, I think that's specified in the first post: for various reasons, CM doesn't track the state of anything that's not on the current page].

@eschwartz: That would duplicate the behaviour of the filtering options (which you can use to only show collections, which is how I personally use it), and kill an easy way to deal with collection nesting (children -> parent).
Old 05-29-2014, 12:25 AM   #927
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@eschwartz: That would duplicate the behaviour of the filtering options (which you can use to only show collections, which is how I personally use it), and kill an easy way to deal with collection nesting (children -> parent).
I would consider that setting to be very useful, if it could be set to only act on one pane. Instead, it is fairly useless.

I'd like to see a Sort option, instead of a Display option, which filters collections.

And on closer inspection, that is what "Limit filters to the lower pane" is for.

Thanks for inspiring me to notice that!

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-29-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 AM   #928
aferlynn
aferlynn began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Aha! Okay great thank you!

So I have collections only displayed in bottom pane and limit filters to bottom pane checked. Andddd now it all works and makes sense.

One question - are there other filters hiding somewhere that can be applied or is it just the "display collections only" and "show invisible items in home" options that are filters which can be applied?

Thank you again so much!
aferlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:31 AM   #929
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nope, everything is in the Display menu . The sorting menu might also be of interest .

(Or whatever those two are actually called – the nearest device I could grab was the one I tested the French translation on, so, err, ;D]).

@eschwartz: Heh, glad you checked the menu to its last entry ;p. I actually had it spelled out in the first draft of my post, but I figured if people were going to check out the filtering options, it would jump out . [But mostly it's 6AM and I couldn't for the life of me keep that info in and end up with a sentence that didn't feel clunky ;p].

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-29-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #930
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Nope, it just reserves the temporary file that the update tries to download to.
Doesn't that mean it would interfere with the update? That's the purpose of creating the folder, correct?

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks