Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Mikey1969
Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikey1969 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Question New to Calibre. Efficiency suggestions?

Hi all,
I've had my Nook since Thanksgiving, but really just started using Calibre recently because I decided to throw all of the Oz books on, and the public domain ones only had decent covers for about a third of them. I have to say; I'm pretty impressed so far.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm doing this the most efficient way, or if I am doing it perfectly...

1: I don't hook my Nook up. I hate waiting for it to connect, I hate waiting to see if it will connect correctly, etc. I just pop the SD Card out and throw it in the reader.

2: I just open files, modify them, and then re-export them, deleting the originals. Is there some automated' way to do this? SO far it's not too bad.

3: It looks like Calibre is re-exporting files inside of folders for each author. Should I just bring all my stuff in and re-save it for organizational purposes? Will this help the Nook run more smoothly(I don't currently have issues, just wondering).

4: Is there a way in Calibre to manage my bookshelves? They are a nice organizational feature on the Nook, but a slow process to configure.

5: If I was converting a bunch of books that some moron converted and edited Metadata on, is there a way to point to one book and make it the basis for all of the correction? Also, is there a way to automatically append series info to the front? In other words, I put the Oz books in order by going through and adding 'Oz 1', 'Oz 2', and so on to each title. Is there someway to tell Calibre up front to take the books in a preset order, and add 'Series' 'X', 'Series' 'X+1', and so on to a certain point in each title? This isn't major, I'm just wondering.

Thanks guys for any help, and I'm going to add this cool emoticon I see here on the side because I get a kick out of it...

Mikey1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey1969 View Post
Hi all,
5: If I was converting a bunch of books that some moron converted and edited Metadata on, is there a way to point to one book and make it the basis for all of the correction? Also, is there a way to automatically append series info to the front? In other words, I put the Oz books in order by going through and adding 'Oz 1', 'Oz 2', and so on to each title. Is there someway to tell Calibre up front to take the books in a preset order, and add 'Series' 'X', 'Series' 'X+1', and so on to a certain point in each title? This isn't major, I'm just wondering.

Thanks guys for any help, and I'm going to add this cool emoticon I see here on the side because I get a kick out of it...

You can do bulk edits (multi-select, then right click, then 'edit metadata/edit metadata in bulk). I don't think you can base this off of a master, though that would be potentially useful at times.

Re: series/titles, etc.

-download the 'manage series' plugin. it's quite useful.

Best use is NOT to change the actual title name to include the series number. Rather, use the series column to store sequence, and then when you export to your Nook, use a metadata plugboard. (google this, you'll find easy instructions).

basically, what the plugboard does is appends the series number to the title (or author, or however you set it up) as you send the file to your Nook. That way, the version in your actual Calibre library is 'pure' and correctly titled. This can come in useful down the line; I know for different readers I need to display series info differently so it's best to just use plugboards.

All you need to do is set up a plugboard... you choose the source (epub, etc) then your destination (nook) and give it instructions to format... i use:
{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|[|] - }{title}
which puts the series name/# before the title.
affa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert