Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
The Broken Kindle Problem: An Aid Program Runs Into Trouble

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...rouble/256912/

Quote:
Nearly half of the e-readers sent to schools in sub-Saharan Africa end up broken. . . .

The devices should be repairable, too. There's no reason why a kid should have to wait three months to have a screen replaced. Five-year-olds fix their own OLPCs . Every day, we hear from kids who have used iFixit repair guides to fix their own electronics. I just got back from the USA Science and Engineering Festival where I watched hundreds of middle schoolers fixing iPods and DVD players. With good guides and the right tools, kids don't have any more trouble repairing electronics than they do putting together a Lego set.
I've accidentally cracked the screens of two Kindle Keyboards, so it's not just third world kids. In my case, Amazon replaced the devices for free.

How much extra would something like gorilla glass add to device cost?

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 05-11-2012 at 10:18 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Still breakable. Needs a plastic substrate.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert