Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #31
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Whatever the consensus of the greenies may be, it'll be. But I would vote against a bland homogeneous mixture where one post differs from any other only by it's length and the posters avatar.
Now just wait a cotton-pickin' minute here!

Are you saying that the only difference between one of my posts, which I put considerable effort into writing (sometimes including researching), editing, proofreading, and fact-checking, and that of some random person who does none of the above, and can't even spell, is the length of my posts?

Or conversely, that your posts are no different from the same word count created by my cat walking on the keyboard?

I have to very, very strongly disagree.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #32
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Surely the reason for these forums is the contents of the messages, not the visual appearance of peoples' signatures?
The esthetics can have a significant effect overall. A non-monolithic appearance can, over time, create a more vibrant culture.

An argument for, at least some, visual diversity brings to mind the old soviet era buildings and their mind numbing oppression of the human spirit. Compare those buildings with whatever architecture of the same time period that you find pleasing.

In the days of dial up modems you could make a case that such visual diversity would slow down some MR members and that formal restraint was therefore needful. I'm pretty sure that's much less common than it used to be. And as Tom has mentioned - "unckeck the "Display Signatures"". That should speed it up for any who are using a modem, and mollify those who find that "Signatures" beyond the bare minimum are disrupting their reading enjoyment.

Now before you click the "Spoiler" I would like to say that I am not in any way disparaging you or any greenie. It reflects my dismay at the thought of where society as a whole may be going when we try to eliminate all color and flavor from the world around us so that none may have their feelings hurt.

Were I a Frenchman I would say that I shudder at the thought of a future where boiled mutton is all that is left to us because some don't like onion, some don't like pepper, some garlic, ginger, thyme, basil, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper, or what ever....
Spoiler:

On a final note. If the objective is to have a neat & trim MR then someone must make an argument against those who write long posts where you have to keep scrolling down the screen to find the end. Perhaps a word count? (Un-checked tongue in cheek and rampant facetiousness intended here.)

In particular I refer to Worldwalker. Although I occasionally don't agree with him, he expresses himself so well that I can rarely find anything to comment on afterwards. Would it not sully his reputation I would ask to be his friend.

EDIT - I think that I've got WW mad at me.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 02-10-2011 at 09:43 PM.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #33
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Now just wait a cotton-pickin' minute here!

Are you saying that the only difference between one of my posts, which I put considerable effort into writing (sometimes including researching), editing, proofreading, and fact-checking, and that of some random person who does none of the above, and can't even spell, is the length of my posts?

Or conversely, that your posts are no different from the same word count created by my cat walking on the keyboard?

I have to very, very strongly disagree.
I do agree with you. Your post are better than most.

However one textual post after another, after another, by everyone is monotonous.

Look at any (good) newspaper or magazine. Even within the article the text is broken up by other elements, be they pictures, graphs, or even ads.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #34
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I do agree with you. Your post are better than most.

However one textual post after another, after another, by everyone is monotonous.

Look at any (good) newspaper or magazine. Even within the article the text is broken up by other elements, be they pictures, graphs, or even ads.
But page after page of scrolling through blinking winking GIANT signatures is more likely to turn me away from the site. I like the avatars on the side and the signatures small - it's easier to read and not ridiculous like some other sites. I tend to block people who have blinking sigs or avatars.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #35
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
On a final note. If the objective is to have a neat & trim MR then someone must make an argument against those who write long posts where you have to keep scrolling down the screen to find the end. Perhaps a word count? (Un-checked tongue in cheek and rampant facetiousness intended here.)
Um... You could read the post rather than scroll past it for visual entertainment? This is a site focused on reading after all. I assume you can read? Hm?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #36
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Um... You could read the post rather than scroll past it for visual entertainment? This is a site focused on reading after all. I assume you can read? Hm?
Actually Worldwalker is the only one with long posts that I do read all the way thru. I'm not complaining about people with long posts though. Thirty short posts in an unvarying block will cause people to skip those postings as well.

We've all seen it, and have at times been guilty of it too, where on threads with a lot of posts people skip ahead to the last post and make an observation, or comment, that was made only a few postings back.

And in so far as this being "a site focused on reading", that may be it's original raison d existence but is no longer true. I recall seeing a section devoted to food and drink if you can imagine that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
But page after page of scrolling through blinking winking GIANT signatures is more likely to turn me away from the site. I like the avatars on the side and the signatures small - it's easier to read and not ridiculous like some other sites. I tend to block people who have blinking sigs or avatars.

I agree with you, there have been some in the past who have gone too far. But that can be, and has been, handled by the mods in the past.

With simple mindedness we can say "No one can do this" or "No one can do that". One rule must apply in all situations. Lack of moderation and good judgment has placed many women in head to toe sacks with nothing but eye slits. And in some locations even the eye slits are covered! Yes, because a few men can not control their lust ALL women must be banned from the workplace and put in sacks.

Sadly we have abandoned the ideals of intelligence and wisdom. Because someone with a GIANT flashing signature (or ten book covers) is too distracting, a rule must be created prohibiting anything beyond a very small graphic OR 4 lines of un-bold text, whichever is smaller.

And now it's my turn to ask a question of the two of you. Why not just change your settings to hide signatures? I really am curious and I'm not being facetious or rhetorical this time.

As Tom said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
And, of course, for those members who still don't wish to see our artistic and creative endeavors, they can always unckeck the "Display Signatures" option by going to User CP > Settings & Options > Edit options > Thread Display Options > Visible Post Elements; although really, our signatures are such wonderful works of aesthetic perfection that I can't imagine why anyone would want to.

There's a member that has a bug crawling around in his signature area. I usually like to read his posts but don't want to block out all signatures. So when his post come up I just hit the ESC key and stop all animations. I'm flexible. Et vous?

ADDED - The same goes for Astra, I like his posts but the head banking makes me hit the ESC key. Again, I still have some tolerance for the foibles of others.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 02-11-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #37
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I don't do long posts
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #38
SameOldStory
My True Self

With just a few words from you our minds come awake. No more is needed.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #39
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
There's a member that has a bug crawling around in his signature area. I usually like to read his posts but don't want to block out all signatures. So when his post come up I just hit the ESC key and stop all animations. I'm flexible. Et vous?
I didn't know I could do this temporarily -- thanks and k to you!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I didn't know I could do this temporarily -- thanks and k to you!
Yep, there's been some obnoxious animated avatars as well, it's great for those as well.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #41
SameOldStory
My True Self

Hmmmmmm.

Animated avatars. Hmmmmm.

Maybe I could do that instead of an interesting sig.

Don't worry. I may think that there are some unrepentant childish trolls on MR, but I don't have a problem with 99.913% of the rest of you guys.

But that one does look nice doesn't it? Hmmmmmm.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thing is, for those running a browser that does not strip adds like MS IE or Safari, then you get worse then big signatures. You get advertising that's way way way more annoying then anyone's signature. The adds are large and in the way. They sit in the middle of the thread they sit on top, they sit on the bottom.

I just ram MS IE and I see an add at the bottom of the size 728x90, one in the middle of the thread at 300x239, one near the top at 300x239 and one at the top at 728x79.

Now can you tell me that my signature is more annoying then any of these adverts with all honesty? These adverts in total take up 2056 lines. That's a lot more then the combined space taken up by all the signatures.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-14-2011 at 09:46 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe that the ads are only displayed if you're not logged in. Ads, however, are beside the point. Like it or not, we do have new signature guidelines and we ask everybody to follow them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have an idea. Let's all make out signatures part of the messages and then we can have them as big as we want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #45
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
There's a member that has a bug crawling around in his signature area.
That thing scares the crap out of me. The first time I saw it my laptop hit the floor. I thought there was a very fast bug on my screen.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote