Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Can't configure Calibre

So, I installed Calibre. No problem. At the end of the installation, there is a check box for "Launch Calibre." Calibre launched, but, there was no "Welcome to Calibre" wizard, so no way to configure it for my device. I deleted the application, re-downloaded it, installed it again, same scenario.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The "wizard" is under "preferences.......click on the arrow next to the "preferences" icon and then click "run welcome wizard"
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Thank you, desertGrandma.

Before seeing your post, I actually deleted my Calibre folder under the C:/Users/App Data/Roaming and restarted Calibre and it is working now. I think I started installing Calibre before I got my Kindle and it left some residual "stuff" on my hard drive which I needed to delete before starting over!

Your method would have been easier!!

Holly
Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

as long as you have it working............
Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
OakIris
Addict

ISBNdb access key?

another newbie Calibre question!! I wanted to get metadata for some books.

On the Calibre metadata page, it says "in order to search isbndb.com you must sign up for a free account and enter your access key below" Well, I signed up for a free account, but saw nothing about an access key, and nothing was emailed to me by isbndb.

Where do I get this access key??

Holly
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Thank you, desertGrandma.

Before seeing your post, I actually deleted my Calibre folder under the C:/Users/App Data/Roaming and restarted Calibre and it is working now. I think I started installing Calibre before I got my Kindle and it left some residual "stuff" on my hard drive which I needed to delete before starting over!

Your method would have been easier!!

Holly
Correct.
Uninstalling Calibre does not delete the Library or User settings, which is why no question. You done did that already

Preferences allows re-configuration
The arrow next to the Library Icon allows you to move or make more libraries.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
another newbie Calibre question!! I wanted to get metadata for some books.

On the Calibre metadata page, it says "in order to search isbndb.com you must sign up for a free account and enter your access key below" Well, I signed up for a free account, but saw nothing about an access key, and nothing was emailed to me by isbndb.

Where do I get this access key??

Holly
I did it so long ago, I can't remember now exactly how it works......but when you signed up, there wasn't a number assigned to you?

Can you go back to your account and check?

I just remember copying and pasting.......
Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #8
OakIris
Addict

I figured it out.

You have do go to your account, then into "Developer Area at ISBNdb.com," click on "Manage Access Keys" and then "Generate a new key" in order to get an access key. I didn't find this explained anywhere, just kept on clicking on things. It's not rocket science, but it would have been nice if it had been included in the FAQ on the site.

Holly
Old 10-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
I didn't find this explained anywhere, just kept on clicking on things. It's not rocket science, but it would have been nice if it had been included in the FAQ on the site.
Well, it's not been frequently asked Just for the record, you can download metadata without an isbndb key, Calibre will then just not download anything from there (obviously).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Well, it's not been frequently asked
I meant the FAQ on the isbndb site, not here on MobileRead, in case that wasn't clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Just for the record, you can download metadata without an isbndb key, Calibre will then just not download anything from there (obviously).
I understand that, but I just seemed to get more info when I used the isbndb site. Of course, when my books are downloaded from MobileRead or Project Gutenberg, the metadata doesn't really correspond to the copy I have, but I can get some cool covers!

Holly