Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
RSSOwl patch for the Sony Reader

This just came to my attention (I haven't tried it): Digital Reading is reporting a patch to make RSSOwl output files that are fitted to the Sony Reader.

Thought it might be of interest.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #2
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
I have just downloaded it, and tested. It's cool. YOu can get rss feed both in pdf and rtf format that fits the screen of reader. I think it's better than the connect store rss feed, at least you can choose your own favourite rss feeds.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Great catch, Nathan!

Now, I wish there was the way to automate RTF generation from the RSS feeds

And it would be great if RSSOWL could export pictures to PDF as well.
(ok, this is "kind of possible" via RSSOWL -> HTML -> htmldoc -> PDF)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20061019_0001.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1914  

Last edited by Slava; 10-20-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:58 AM   #4
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
As usual I'm being dumb I can see the download link for the patch? I did find one link but I get an empty zip file. - Could someone point me in the right direction please.

thanks.
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Hi Stuart,

Please use the link to download the patch:

http://www.digitalreading.net/yacs/files/view.php?id=2
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
This just came to my attention (I haven't tried it): Digital Reading is reporting a patch to make RSSOwl output files that are fitted to the Sony Reader.
The changes are very small and limited to one file. I wonder why they didn't just include the patch file.

Anyways, patch is attached here, or, if you don't know how to execute a diff patch, the modified DocumentGenerator.java file (unzip first).
Attached Files
File Type: txt patch.txt (1.2 KB, 506 views)
File Type: zip DocumentGenerator.zip (4.3 KB, 463 views)

Last edited by TadW; 10-20-2006 at 10:25 AM.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
re: patch

Hi

this patch was really just a quick first-aid kind of fix.
Frankly, setting the page size should be configurable through the Preferences in RSSOwl.
TadW is correct, changes are limited to a single file.

regards

Tamas Simon (Sic.)
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
this patch was really just a quick first-aid kind of fix.
Still a very nice "fix" though

And welcome on board, Tamas.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
kcm
kcm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I'm in the office and moving about this weekend, so I can't really look up and try out RSSOwl. Would someone mind explaining the utility? I'm especially interested in whether it can do what the Connect store can't (both because it's buggy and because it doesn't seem designed with this in mind), which is automatically update a set of RSS feeds on the Reader whenever I dock it.

Frankly, without this forum, the Reader would be significantly less valuable to me. I truly appreciate the helpful comments and aggregation of useful information.
kcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Sam
Sam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've just been trying out RSS Owl and it is a great program. Now I just have to figure out how to make it produce PDF's of the aggregate newsfeed, rather than just one subordinate feed. Then I will worry about formatting them to Sony size. Man, this takes a bit of work.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote