Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Reading speed on Kindle

SO far....do you think you read about the same...faster...or slower.....as compared to a paper book.

Personally....I think I'm probably slightly slower...but haven't tested it yet.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
I'm about the same I think. Hard to judge, really, since the concept of "page numbers" isn't very applicable. I did have to adjust my habits. I started to read to the end of the page, and then press the page button, but that was a little bit slow. I've found a fairly comfortable speed which allows me to scan the last line while pressing the next page button.

I don't really know what I'd be called in terms of reading speed. I got my Kindle on Nov 23, and have read Lawhead's "Merlin" (500pgs in paperback), about 25% of Lawhead's "Arthur", "Treasure Island" and one of the Tom Swift novels (those last two were both downloaded from manybooks.net).
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think I'm a little faster. I don't find my hands cramping up or have the need to keep shifting positions to find the right way to balance the book when I read with the kindle. I've been spending way too much time reading lately because of this. I used to read some then take a break and go take care of other things. I've just been sitting down to read and next thing you know eight hours have flown by, it's dark, and I wonder why I'm so hungry.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Yeah, I know. I am reading much more too, to the point that it's annoying others in my life.

Thanks, Kindle.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Reading speed on the Kindle

I have been checking myself re reading speed with my Kindle. I know I read faster, and have these reasons apparent to me:

1. Page turning is much faster, and can be done with one hand. My right hand thumb is positioned perfectly to advance a page almost instantly. The actual page turn is very fast, and I can keep reading without losing connection with the ideas I am absorbing while reading. If you don't believe this, just try page turning with one hand, especially trade press paperbacks with very stiff splines.

2. The Kindle displays text well staced top to bottom -- like double spacing. This is much faster to read since it's difficult to make an error when going to one line to the next, either jumping a line or reading the same line twice.

3. The Kindle has a relatively short line length of 3" with a 1/4" border on each side. It's easier than trying to read very long line lengths where by the time you reach the line end, you don't remember what you read at the start of the same line. Also a shorter line length is easier on your eyes to retrace back to the start of the line when moving to the next line.

4. The fonts are consistent. There are thousands of fonts in the print media whch adds difficulty to the reader. But only one is used with the Kindle, although it can display that in up to 6 sizes to accomodate eyesight demands of people with vision difficulties.

5. The preprocessor designed to make Kindle documents look good and be consistent uses line length justification, so that all lines are the same length as opposed to ragged edges on the right border. Tests made by the print media -- books, magazines, and newspapers have shown this adds to ease of reading.

All in all, I certainly feel that my reading speed is increased on the Kindle.

Charles Wilkes
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
ampressman
ampressman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1.0
Overall, I don't notice much difference but when reading in bed at night, as I start to get a little sleepy, I increase the font size of whatever I'm reading and I definitely get in more reading than I would with a paper-printed book...
-Aaron
ampressman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
huevos
Enthusiast
huevos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just spent a week reading an old tech book on vacation because I didnt want to get any sand in my kindle. This provided me with a good opportunity to compare my reading speed. I think I read faster with the kindle. the biggest reason is that when my eyes get tired of smaller font, i can bump up the size and continue reading longer. I think I may read slightly faster on the kindle...but I dont think its that noticeable.
huevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by huevos View Post
I just spent a week reading an old tech book on vacation because I didnt want to get any sand in my kindle. This provided me with a good opportunity to compare my reading speed. I think I read faster with the kindle. the biggest reason is that when my eyes get tired of smaller font, i can bump up the size and continue reading longer. I think I may read slightly faster on the kindle...but I dont think its that noticeable.

A lot of people take their Kindle to the beach and in the bath.......They just stick it in a one gallon baggie, seal it, and read away~
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I know this is a Kindle thread, but I wanted to poke my head in anyway.

I just picked up a paperback after a good dozen ebooks (and then before that library books for a while), and I don't know if I'm reading it faster, but man, this curling page thing is bugging me out after reading a flat page for a while (I tend not to bend the binding). It was so easy to jump to my Reader, but it's harder to go back.

I can say I have been reading a whole lot more though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think the biggest factor in my increased reading is simply that I always have a book I want to read. There's no lag in between books while I go to the bookstore or library or wait for Amazon. I can get a new book from Amazon, the PD sites and even my local library any time day or night and with the first two, I don't even need to be near my computer to do it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
A lot of people take their Kindle to the beach and in the bath.......They just stick it in a one gallon baggie, seal it, and read away~
That's a cool idea, I'll have to keep that in mind.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I know this is a Kindle thread, but I wanted to poke my head in anyway.

I just picked up a paperback after a good dozen ebooks (and then before that library books for a while), and I don't know if I'm reading it faster, but man, this curling page thing is bugging me out after reading a flat page for a while (I tend not to bend the binding). It was so easy to jump to my Reader, but it's harder to go back.

I can say I have been reading a whole lot more though.
Yeah, and whats up with that 'I put it down, and when I picked it up, it didn't keep my place?? And, wheres the built in dictionary?? And WHY are they making the printing so dang small???
Old 01-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yeah, and whats up with that 'I put it down, and when I picked it up, it didn't keep my place?? And, wheres the built in dictionary?? And WHY are they making the printing so dang small???
And what on earth is that smell? Books don't smell!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
And what on earth is that smell? Books don't smell!

Okay, back off the smell. I LOVE that smell...........
Old 01-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay, back off the smell. I LOVE that smell...........
I do too