Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #61
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Before I bought my first ereader, I thought I wanted text-to-speech to be an option. Finding it hard to get everything else I wanted though on the same reader, I realized I've never even used it before and probably never would, I couldn't think of one instance I'd want to use it over reading a book.

It also would be a much higher battery drain on any reader using such a feature, so again, not something I'd want at all, it would defeat a main advantage of an ereader.

So it's not important to me at all. If it happens to be on a reader, it would never be used.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I currently have no use for it.
But if its inclusion on standard devices (and its availability on all ebooks) means that there's a chance the technology will be considerably improved by the time I might find it useful, I'm all for its inclusion (provided the costs associated aren't prohibitive). Practice makes perfect.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-30-2013 at 02:41 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #63
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
For those of you who do not like the inclusion of TTS because it raises the cost of each unit, then this information will also help you save money.
http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com...-paper-coupons
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #64
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's not important since text to speech sounds like a robot. I wouldn't want to listen to a computer reading a text. I wouldn't even want to listen to a human reading a text unless they are a professional narrator with crystal clear voice and precise diction.

However, I think it should be made available to those who need it. The feature would be very beneficial to the blinds especially if the audio book version is not available.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 08-30-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #65
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
For those of you who do not like the inclusion of TTS because it raises the cost of each unit, then this information will also help you save money.
http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com...-paper-coupons
Apache
Hey that's cool.

Comes with a comparison of all the different brands of toilet paper as to size and sheets etc. Mundane as it is I will find that useful as storage is important too.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #66
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
I'm not sure what all the hate for TTS is about... TTS has improved by leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. The version that came with Android pre-4.0 (perhaps even the version on 3.0, but I never owned a 3.0 device) was definitely robotic and you needed to purchase a decent one (SVOX at the time which was reasonably natural sounding, but mispronounced words occasionally), then Ivona released a beta on Android that was even more natural sounding, but still occasionally pronounced words strangely. Both would read "Ave I" in Google Maps as "Ah-vay Eye" as in "Ave Maria" instead of "Avenue I". The version that comes stock on Android 4.x, although not quite as good as Ivona, was good enough that I chose not to install Ivona or SVOX. I agree that I probably wouldn't want to listen to an entire book read by it (especially fantasy novels with strange names). I'd say the speech is more "stilted" than "robotic", like someone trying to enunciate very clearly to cover up an accent. I tried the TTS on my Kindle Touch and it seemed to be on a par with the modern Android implementations.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #67
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I don't even think about it. I have audiobooks, with narrators who give the characters life.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #68
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
The audio capabilities of eInk devices is rather a side issue from whether it's acceptable or advisable for publishers to block TTS on copyright grounds. There are plenty of devices with TTS-capable hardware and software on board--most of us probably have one in our pockets--and blocking TTS on those devices is absurd.

Personally, I do value TTS. My only disability is myopia, but I suppose I do use it as an accessibility feature insofar as it lets me take off my glasses or contacts (usually at bedtime). More often I have an audiobook for bedtime listening, but I listened to about half of C.J. Cherryh's Foreigner series via Google Play Books' cloud-assisted TTS. We're talking about a series riddled with proper nouns in a made-up alien language, and with a couple exceptions I found the GPB voice's pronunciations preferable to the narrator on the last audiobook in the series. The TTS did a solid job setting dialogue off from narration, too.

As others have said, it's not even close to an audiobook performance, just a serviceable method of reading the text. And obviously, based on replies here, many readers won't even grant it that much.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #69
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have no use for TTS at the moment, but it could become very important to me when I'm older, I just hope it has improved a lot by the time I need it.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #70
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
The audio capabilities of eInk devices is rather a side issue from whether it's acceptable or advisable for publishers to block TTS on copyright grounds.

As others have said, it's not even close to an audiobook performance, just a serviceable method of reading the text. And obviously, based on replies here, many readers won't even grant it that much.
Good points. I don't think modern TTS is as bad as people are making it out to be and the real issue is the publishers blocking it with DRM. If I've purchased the book, I should be able to "read" it in any way I choose.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #71
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I use it on occasions when I'm tired or sick.

It's not great, but it's useable, so I don't mind it. I get used to the odd voice after a while. It is frankly easier for me to use than audiobooks. Dual purpose, more readily available
and affordable.

One reason why I still use the kindle keyboard.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #72
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
One reason why I still use the kindle keyboard.
Same for me and I'm frustrated that TTS is such a rare feature on new eReader devices.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #73
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
You know, I didn't realize the extent of this issue with regard to Amazon's ebooks. The only currently available hardware/software that can provide TTS for Amazon titles (without stripping and/or converting them) is the Fire line. Is that correct? The mobile apps don't have TTS, and wouldn't the DRM prevent using other TTS software on the unmodified files? Balabolka for Windows lists AZW3 as a supported filetype, but I assume it wouldn't be able to open DRMed files.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #74
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
You know, I didn't realize the extent of this issue with regard to Amazon's ebooks. The only currently available hardware/software that can provide TTS for Amazon titles (without stripping and/or converting them) is the Fire line. Is that correct? The mobile apps don't have TTS, and wouldn't the DRM prevent using other TTS software on the unmodified files? Balabolka for Windows lists AZW3 as a supported filetype, but I assume it wouldn't be able to open DRMed files.
The Kindle Touch has TTS. From what others in this thread have said, it is also apparently available on the Kindle Keyboard. The Paperwhite has no audio hardware, so I can't have it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The iPad's built-in TTS works fine with the Kindle App.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote